Oh No! Please tell me my iPod is still alive! HELP!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Xanderxxx, Apr 4, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Hey guys!
    I think my iPod is dunzo. It's only a year and a half old! Just last week it went crazy and when I played a song, it skiped it and played another one on the playlist. I reset it and all, and it kinda works when you first plug it in after a reset, but then the song won't transfer and the iPod and iTunes freeze! Please tell me there is a way to fix this without having to get a new hard drive! I did not buy AppleCare, and boy do I wish I had.

Help! :( :(

2. macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

3. thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I was unsure of what to write. The iPod works and all, you can navigate the menu and everything but once I put it on the dock/connecting cable, my mac tries to transfer the songs from iTunes to the iPod but freezes and then my iPod freezes and I have to manually eject it in order for iTunes to work again and then reset my ipod in order for it to unfreeze. I have:
    - Reset the iPod
    - Re-installed iTunes, twice
    - Re-installed the iPod software, erased it completly
    - Used permissions repair/disk repair on the iPod

I have connected it on disk mode, but when I try to transfer a file from Finder to the iPod, it freezes Finder and the iPod. Yet I reset the iPod and I can navigate the iPod's empty catalog.

:eek:

4. macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

great details so far, but I meant to ask... What kind of iPod do you have?:D

5. thread starter macrumors member

4th Gen iPod

6. macrumors 68000

lamina

Sorry pal, in my experience in repairing iPods, sounds like a dead hard drive.

Put your ear up to it when it stalls while copying songs. Does it make a weird click-whirring noise?

7. thread starter macrumors member

Should I replace the hard drive or save up and buy a new one? :(

8. macrumors newbie

I have the same problem iPod G4. It sync about 80 tracks and then just hangs... Anyone know a good service to get the hard drive replaced cheap? I think Apple offers a 10% trade-in for dead-iPods.

9. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i feel for you. my 4th gen iPod (HP) has similar symptoms. and it is the last iPod that syncs with firewire.

10. macrumors newbie

I had to replace the drive in my Photo, It's really pretty easy to do yourself, and there are a bunch of websites with details and pics on how to do it.

When I replaced mine this was the cheapest new iPod drives I could find, but that was a while ago, so that may not be true anymore.

1.8" drives at ewiz.com

11. macrumors newbie

12. macrumors 68000

lamina

You can usually get a working iPod HDD on eBay for about $90 US. That is the best option if you're looking to save money. I have replaced peoples hard drives without a hitch, and once you get over the initial anxiety of opening your baby up, its a breeze.

Fixing iPods is also a great way to make money, because everyone else is afraid to even touch one :)

13. macrumors G4

Mord

you could try repartitioning it and stop the ipod from useing the first 5GB. that usually resurrects an ipod HD, i've done it to a few ipods, google it, their are a few guides.