OH NO!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by atacinus, Apr 12, 2004.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

okay, I have a problem that i don.t think can be fixed....i accidently deleted an account of mine that had all my writings and crap stored under the documents section of it...and i accidently chose 'delete immediatly' so the files were not stored....is there ANY way of getting this stuff back????

HELP,
    Christien

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Did you try to see if you could undo the move?

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

If they are that important shut down NOW go out and buy tech tools pro 4 and put it on another mac. Then boot your computer into target disk mode, hook the two up and with a little luck it will be able to find your data. Somewhat expensive, but pretty much the only solution.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There are utilities that can restore those files for you, because they most likely still exist on the disk, deleting them just removes them from the disk/drive's directory. Now if you overwrote them or did secure delete, well, you're ****ed.

5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Thats what I was talking about, in addition some people have been able to get data off drives that have been overwritten because the last few magneto-impilses are retained even after it.

6. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

well, good news...i guess...i found the handwritten files. i.ve got about 3,000 pages to type up [what i would give for a secretary]...but at least nothing is LOST, LOST.

Christien

7. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I know people will get all over me for this one but you could try Norton to restore the files, its worked for me in the past.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

god, even if the person already overwrote all the stuff its a little too late, even for techtools i think.
    /me shrugs. i am in no way an optimist. you've found all the handwritten stuff so that,s good, but i doubt you'll be able to get the files back, unless of course ou're willing to pay for professional data restoration

just in case: http://www.drivesavers.com

9. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Sucks for you..hope u dont get carpal tunnel from all that typing

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

you could spend your entire life in front of a computer typing away and not get any sort of repetitive stress injury (i swear just typing the word "repetitive" seems repetitive to me...) if everything's set up correctly.
    Of course, if you're always hunched over typing haphazardly with no care, of course you'll get some RSI :) :) :). awfully painful, but whatever.