Oh so nearly the thing I've wanted...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by spacemoose, Aug 26, 2004.

1. spacemoose macrumors newbie

I recently bought the Logitech DiNovo Media set, and it is so close to being awesome that it is a painful disappointment.

I got it despite hearing its limitations with Macs, but really, the only thing that doesn't work adequately is the media pad. But oh what a loss.

Logitech really missed the ball on this one, because that media pad could do so much with my mac if it actually had some drivers. It is basically the Airport Express remote that everyone has been clamoring for. Considering that the DiNovo is aimed at those "concerned with style" and yet ignores the Mac community (the most style-conscious computer group, not to mention the most "media saturated"...duh), I really am miffed at Logitech's failure here.

As it is now, I've connected the setup to a PC in my lab instead of my PowerBook just because of what the media pad can do with Windows (I guess now I'll have to get another keyboard for the 'Book). I just transferred all my mp3s over to the PC, imported them into Windows Media Player (the only program that fully works with the media pad) and now I can sit wherever in the lab and play music through the desktop while easily controlling volume, and having a display as if I had an iPod with me. It is too slick.

Did I mention it will notify me if I've received an email or IM as well?

If this thing worked with my Mac I'd buy another set to keep at home, but Logitech lost that sale, and judging from the hundreds of posts I've seen concerning this DiNovo and the MX900 on various forums, I'd wager many, many more.

I hope Apple takes note of this product and updates their horribly limited wireless offerings or Logitech develops some OS X drivers (I highly doubt the development cost would not be compensated by the increased sales). The potential for such a product in Apples obvious media-centric focus is enormous.

2. wizz0bang macrumors member

Is anyone else using this keyboard with their Mac?