Oh the irony! (stupid IT service)

Discussion in 'Community' started by dobbin, May 27, 2005.

1. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

My IT service at work is currently struggling to get through a project to convert our network from Novell to Microsoft, of which the most obvious change for users is to change from Groupwise to Outlook for emails, diary etc.

This has been going on for 4 months, and any users who have been switched over can't easily access the diaries of those of us who still use Groupwise, and vice versa. What a c0ck-up - how can they possibly expect us to work like this for 4 months!?

I have to go on a compulsory 3 hour training course on how to use Outlook. Duh, I probably know more about it than the IT service judging by their most recent email... I've just received an email asking me to attend my training on a date while I am on holiday in America. So I replied to say I can't go, and that this holiday has been in my electronic diary for 8 months. They didn't even check my diary or send me an "appointment request" email, they just sent me a standard email.

They've now asked me to provide dates when I am available. It just seems so ironic that they're manually asking me for dates when I can go and be trained how to use the electronic diary!!! I've been doing this happily for at least seven years until their invitation email today!

Sorry, but I had to get this off my chest. It just seems that our IT service does nothing to help me or to make the system better. The only contact I have with them is when they are changing things that already work just fine.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Thanks... that really made my day... :D :D :D

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

IMO, dropping Novell makes things better.

This, to me at least, sounds like a case of 'I don't want to learn new things'. I've been using X for Y <time> and it's worked fine. Why are they changing things now?

It's sad that the seem to be struggling with it, but how many users are they converting? How many machines? Is this the first real upgrade they've put into your system in 7 years? No wonder it's going poorly.

4. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

No, its not a problem learning new things. I used to use Outlook at my previous job until 18 months ago when I started using Groupwise here. Hence I'm not too keen to attend Outlook training (especially as I will be 5000 miles away on the day they expect me to attend :D)

I'm not sure when they last updated the system, I'm just saying I've been comfortable using electronic diaries to set up meetings in different jobs for 7 years and now for the meeting to learn (again) how to do it, they don't check my diary.

I find it very ironic !

I think there are about 4,000 users on several sites, and its their insistence that we all go on training that has made this project drag on.

5. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Sense of humour failure from IT department......:D :D
    Read emails starting from the bottom.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry Dobbin but i am an IT Project co-ordinator not a secretary...

>>> ********* 27/05/2005 14:39:20 >>>

Its all in my diary. It seems rather ironic that for training on how to use Outlook we have to go back to the old-fashioned way of arranging appointments!

21,22,23, 28,29,30 June are completely free.

Dobbin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> ********* 27/05/2005 14:33:27 >>>
    Hi Dobbin can you give me the dates you are available please?

>>> ********** 27/05/2005 14:29:57 >>>

Dear ****

Unfortunately, this date is no good for me as I will be on holiday.

Can you let me have an alternative date please. My Groupwise diary is up to date showing when I am available.

Kind regards,

Dobbin

>>> ************ 27/05/2005 13:54:31 >>>
    Dear User

The dates for Outlook Training have now been assigned, the date, time and venue of your particular session, is attached as Joining Instructions to be printed out.

As you are attending the morning training session, we ask you don't access your GroupWise from midnight the day before, or login to the network.

Engineers will need access to your computer between 0900 and 1300, so you will not be able to return to your computer until after 1pm on the day of your training.

If you have more than 1 computer, whether it is a desktop or laptop, or if your machine is a shared PC we will need the asset tag and who you share it with, and the room number that you are in. Please reply to this e-mail with the asset tag of each and the relevant information.

Please print out the attachment called "keyboard note" and put it on top of your keyboard the night before your training for the engineers to see.

Unfortunately we will not be able to accept any request to cancel training within 48 hours of the training date given. There will be a charge made of £100 for cancellation.

Kind Regards

Corporate IT

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I concur, there is irony in their tactic.

But 4000 is no easy switch, and you cannot expect them to simply turn people onto Outlook and pat em on the back and say, good luck!

We recently moved 300 users from POP based email client to Lotus Notes (NOT a smart move, IMO, but I'm not the boss). We've been using our own SMTP server for 10+ years, and folks have been using Eudora. Then it was decided to move to what everyone else in the Enterprise was using. It took us 2.5+ months. And I'm damn good at what I do.

It was testing, dealing with issues that arise in the whole Mac/PC thing, communicating with my users letting them know what to expect, what they were getting from Notes, what they might find frustrating. Then the installation and training. Then the retraining.

But Notes.. well.. Notes is a Piece of Sh*t™.

Well, give your IT people the benefit of the doubt. It's not easy to do a major switch like this, especially if you have incompetents in your ranks. Most people don't like change (including me) and it's always a struggle to introduce new things. Hopefully they will sort out their troubles soon and make some smooth moves.

Enjoy your trip to the U.S.!

7. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Thanks yellow, I really can't wait now! *very excited*

And, yes I know its a big project, and I've calmed down a bit now. I'm sure they're doing their best.

But surely "IT Project co-ordinators" can check diaries just like the rest of us??! :D

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes. IMO, there's a real problem in the support IT field. Quite often I find the most competent people to do IT work are the ones least suited to doing Customer Service. Both of which are integral to doing a good job.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Quality customer service is saying have a nice day after you taser the user.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

:D They took my taser away.. the quality of my customer service was far too high.

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.