Oh the Possibilities.

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by MrMacMan, Nov 17, 2004.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Make a Difference for MacRumors and Folding for Diease Research.

With the apparent green light by Rower I hearby Convene:
    The MacRumors Distrubuted Convention.

We hope to accomplish:
    1) A Overall Strategy when it comes to marketing our team, along with;
    2) New ideas to make our team a successful one, while also;
    3) Bringing up Old ideas that seemed to have fallen by the wayside.
    4) Other Strategies or Tips!

Debate Numbero Uno will be set for 11/17 ~ 11/23 (obviously we don't have to follow, but lets do this in some order please):
    What is our stragety to recruit people.
    Obviously we are only one site without the backing of of any coorporations (MacAddict sponsored by... duh MacAddict. MacOsX getting free publicity from Apple Corp. itself).

How are we finding new members? Is it physically meeting other mac using and suggestioning them to check out the folding project?
    Is it trying to recruit from the site itself, aka Front Page News Article?
    Is it a signature or even a Image banner?

I hope we can discuse this in a manner that is appropriate of MacRumors.
    Have a spirited and fun convention.
    Work well.

--MrMacMan

2. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

31 Views.

No one man or women enough to post?

Its a suggestion thread for the teams sake post your ideas.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Whatever happened to the banner that was designed by a fellow member? I think that would be a big boost. If more members were aware, I think that they would participate.

4. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Well we had a few great banners.

Then we said we were gonna do it and that it was an awesome idea.

Then people thought it was gonna be done and waited.

We waited like 3 months and I dug the thread up saying whats happening with the banner:
    Last post in original thread Feb.
    The 'Which Banner do you like' Poll, which I bumped to see what was going on and Mr. A locked.

And wdlove -- you have mentioned it in a bunch of topics, whereas your post was ignored. :(

The Fact is we have 2 great banners. They just never were *used*.

They have 2 possible uses:
    1) They alternate between our folding banner and the ad cycle.
    2) They allow us to use images in our signatures so we can use an image.

5. NoahJ macrumors newbie

Huh?

6 months of effort my dear sir. 6 months of persuing something that seemed totally unachievable, for a team that had NO site, No backers, and no other purpose but folding. That is where we still are for the most part. The only site we have is our team site. The only purpose our site serves is to bring folding to the forefront. And the only backers we have is our team membership.

Did I, as the team leader sit down and cry about it? NO. Did many of those on the team even know what I was working on? NO. Did I ask another to do something I could do myself? NO.

Ask not what your team can do for you, but what you can do for your team. Once that question is answered by you, others will follow. It is the way of the world. People are willing to follow those who are willing to lead. I hope you can get more people folding for your team or at lest folding. That will be good for the overall project. But be willing to do more than just talk, you will get much further.

Fold on!

6. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Why are you here?
    Your not apart of this team.
    Your not helping me make this team better.
    Your critiquing my method of reforming our team.

Your idea of me is me crying?
    No Sir. No Sir at all. I am not crying, I am rejoicing that after our membership respond to this call to reform and envigorate our team, we will all be better, stronger and much more effective.

'Ask not what your team can do for you, but what you can do for your team'
    I don't need an overused JFK quote, the quote can't always be fitted to adapt to your POV.
    I am asking my team, what can we all do? What can each of us bring to the table, lay all of our cards out and say:
    This is what we have, and this is what we want.

Thats what I want. We have a banner's: Lets USE them!

I am trying to lead, I have tried to lead this team for sometime in one fashion or another, but we have no leader, I realize that, we are headless. Which is why I created this thread.

So we can talk about where we are going. I'm extremly suprised you are against me polling our General MR Team Body for their views and opinions. But I guess since you are the leader of the oppositon you have something to gain if we fail.

--MrMacMan

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

When you log in, if the site doesn't detect any folding software, no luck for you... that would be mean.

I honestly have no real suggestions. Anyone else there who is not awake at midnight?

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Let's all install folding on every computer we can lay our hands on! Legal or not! Every Lab, school, office, everything!

Unfortunately I got a feeling that I won't get a lot of people backing me up saying this... So, to be serious, let's get the banner up first on the front page. Maybe also some statistics running over the front page saying like:"Congratulations MacRumors folders! We have folded 40.000 points yesterday, bringing our total to 12.000.000." Or something like that. We have to get the publicity, let people know that there is something, if they see that enough, they will get interested and check it out. Let's start first with our own members, get them active (again).

BTW, can someone say why the banner didn't get placed on the front page?

9. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

No one can say why the banner never worked.

And a live statistic?

That could be very nice.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you would just get people with desktop machines to folding one WU a month, it would help and they wouldn't be inconvenienced a huge amount of time or processor resources.

I know this is the 3rd of 4th time I've mentioned this, but I feel it's a valid, small contribution that everyone can make.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

What can we do to get this process moving again? I suppose that a poll is a possibility, but the problem is participation. Do we have any of the mods on our side?

12. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Please ask them.

13. kilpajr macrumors regular

Why are you so defensive towards someone who was able to do something that we want to do and was willing to come in here and give suggestions to help us out? If you are going to be a leader, you need to welcome suggestions and not attack other people's ideas.

Also, PLEASE try to use correct grammar and spelling. I am not asking you to be perfect but it is almost painful to read you post. If your English is not that good, you could type your message in Word and then copy and paste it to post.

I do have a suggestion. I don't know if it is possible, but could Macrumors put a ranking below the normal one that says Macrumors newbie, Macrumors member, etc. We could have something like Folding Contributor: Level xx. The level could be increased based on the number of points the person has accumulated. I know I wanted to post more when I got close to becoming a member and then a regular so I think adding this status would get more people to fold.

14. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

i like it - currently i am folding with my redhat box AMD64 2800+ :eek: (its cheap)

i agree that something can/should/something else goes here... be done, BUT people need to start it. its really easy to say, not quite as easy to do (like me).

maybe a coordinator, at least in the start that does monthly meetings ect (via irc or whatever) and reports to ops/mods what they can do to help us. and associated bits like that. i will put my hand up for this...

any other idea's?

15. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I think a news story on the front page about the MacRumors team would be great for people like me who don't know much about Folding. Perhaps Arn would allow it next time we go a whole week without any news or rumours as people will be desparate to read *anything* if there's no news or rumours!

I never really got Folding working on my old cube - I got bored before it got to the end of 1 work unit (weeks??) but I will d/l it again and try to do some work on my new iBook. I might be the first success of your new recruitment drive.

16. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I have the same here, it is getting boring after a while, especially when the community here is a bit in a slob. It used to be here that there where every night 5 or 6 threads that where going on, so you visited every night. Now there is sometimes no news or threads that you already have read. You still see the same people here, but they just post less and less. How can we make it more interesting for all our folders?

Owh and sorry guys, but just started today to shutdown my G5 when I'm not behind it... Normally it was folding 24/7 (same as my G3, but shut that down permanently) because of my energybill... The year statement was a little bit higher then expected (about 3 times as high). So I won't be that productive from now, sorry guys...

17. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Good ideas everyone.

Keep them flowing...

Dreadnought -- Sorry you can't output as much as you want... :(

18. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I know, this really really sucks! I used to do 250 per day, know I'm back to 0 for the last 4 days!! And the thing what's even worse, I now have to wait until my dual G5 has booted! Normally the only thing I have to wait for is my old apple screen getting warm. Will help you out guys, will help you out! But the fun thing will be when that day arrives and I will have my mac folding again 24/7 is that I can climb the ranks once more. I was a bit stuck on that 34th spot :D

19. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

20. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

What about some good old fashioned solicitation? Ask other people on other forums to join? Friends, neighbors, relatives?

I guess it sucks to see our production as a team decline, but does it really matter who is in first place or twentieth place? I only make this point to try and stop people from getting discouraged. Seems too many people lose their big point producer and then get the "awww forget it attitude". It's especially funny after they seem so gung-ho about folding and talk about how great they are doing.

What about PM'ing the inactive members of the team that still post in the forums or give some other indication that they are still around? Maybe send them a message and ask them to get involved again. However, the Mods might view that as spamming, so before anyone does that, one of them should weigh in.

21. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

You need to make it look more human. People like me say it and say "I'm so close to computer geek - this would really do it for me." See my point?

22. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

No not really. What difference does it make? If ones self-image is so low, that helping to do research that could potentially benefit mankind a great deal, deflates it further; I think there are deeper issues at hand than being a computer geek.

I'm not intending to be harsh, I just don't see how this makes one a "geek". Everyone I've ever mentioned it to thought it was really quite cool. Not that it's turned into more folders for our team, but no one has ever laughed or pointed or called me names.

I don't think you could make it any more human than the project's intended goal.

Now SETI, that would be geek. ;)

23. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I do what I can without knowing what I can do. I have the "Folding@Home" link on my signatures in the other forums I belong to. It is also in my signature to everyone I e-mail both personally and at work. I even got the backing and OK from my boss at work to install it but we haven't completed our migration to OS X yet (I'm a graphics professional with 3 G3s just waiting for OS X) In the meantime I'm going to try and figure out how to get it going on my PC at work running Win 2K, the unfortunate thing is that I am compelled to turn off the machine each day and only have it on for 8 hours a day 5 days a week :(
    I have been running my G3 at home (now a G4-500) 24/7 since the beginning of April this year and have moved up to the 420th position.
    From previous posts in other Threads I have mentioned I'm a cancer survivor and recently lost my Gall Bladder in an emergency surgery. I have reason for folding, though maybe not directly. I am not in competition with anyone except disease, my position in the standings do not matter, just the fact that I do what I do is enough satisfaction for me.

24. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Disturbing fact:

Hi Guys,

Just was looking at our stats and saw that the tin cans are coming back! It's going slow, but they are coming... Time to get active again and fold 24/7! This goes for me as for all of you! WE NEED YOU!!

Dreadnought

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

At least we are still in 20th place. It amazes me that Mac OS X is in 12th place, they have about double the members. As many members as we have here at MacRumors, its a shame that more aren't willing to do folding. It would be nice if our banner could be placed in that large blue space above the icon. Maybe we need some kind of incentive program.

My interest also is personal, since I'm an RN.