Oh what should I do!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sly, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. Sly macrumors 6502

    Sly

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2003
    Location:
    Airstrip One
    #1
    I have managed to save up enough for a laptop and I’m itching to buy one ASAP, I already have an iMac so I want a small ultra portable companion for it that I can carry around with me. I love the style and design of the 12” PB, and I think it has everything I need if I max out the RAM.

    The question is should I wait for the Intel Macbook? Do you think it will have anything that the current 12” PB doesn’t (apart from the processor). I have seen reports the Rosetta emulation on the Core Duos is pretty slow in comparison to the 1.5 GHz G4 in the PB. I already have PPC versions of MS Office and Photoshop.

    The current 12” PB is now well over a year old it worries me that I will be buying an out of date computer before I start. I could wait and see what the future holds for the Macbook but consensus seems to be that it won’t be launched until April, then demand will be strong and supplies probably short (like the MBP) so won’t have it until May at the earliest. If its not going to be any better than the PB, I wondering is it worth waiting?
     
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

    Chundles

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    #2
    Geeze I dunno. I just don't know anymore. There's so much conflicting information buzzing around I just don't know what to tell you. Wait if you can, buy if you can't.

    To be honest, I'm over it. I'm just going to sit here on my little ol' iBook that's chugging happily away and will hopefully continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

    Have fun with your purchase, I'd leave PPC Macs well alone now, Intel is the way of the future.
     
  3. TBi macrumors 68030

    TBi

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #3
    Seeing as the iBook and Powerbook 12" are nigh on identical i'd go with the cheaper iBook if you really want something now. However i'm waiting to see what Apple bring out on the 1st of april. Partly because i'm hoping they bring out new laptops and partly because i'm hoping they fix the MacBook Pro noise problems by then.
     
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #4
    Why April 1st? "April Fools!!......(you get nothing)"

    June is WWDC, so maybe there will be something major announced then? New iBook form factor? An ultraportable, possibly?

    I'd wait if I were you, but if you can't, then get a 12" iBook. The 12" PB isn't worth the price difference.
     
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

    Chundles

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    #5
    April 1st is a Saturday, the 30th anniversary event will most likely be the week after with the Intel iBook replacement released in time for the northern hemisphere spring - apparently the big academic purchasing season.

    I reckon WWDC will continue to focus on the Pro people with discussion of how well the Pro Apps are working on Intel Macs, a 17" MacBook Pro and possibly a 13.3" MacBook Pro. The big thing will be a preview of 10.5 with an estimated release date of 1Q 2007.
     
  6. sunfast macrumors 68020

    sunfast

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Location:
    London
    #6
    Wait until at least the 1st of April. That way you have nothing to lose, but everything to gain.
     
  7. ipacmm macrumors 65816

    ipacmm

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #7
    If you can wait for the new iBook's/12" MBP's, I would. But if you need something right now, I would buy an refurbished/open box ibook, so you can save some money and not spend full price on a laptop that will be replaced in a few months with someting better.
     
  8. Sly thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sly

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2003
    Location:
    Airstrip One
    #8
    Looks like I should wait until April then.

    I much prefer the looks of the PB to the ibook, but I do agree the price is silly in comparison.
     
  9. brikeh macrumors 6502a

    brikeh

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2006
    #9
    Do whatever feels right.

    I just got a pb and I love it, no mater wwhat comes out in april or june or whatever, it suits my needs now. PPC will be supported for a long long time and seeing as I use cs2 and some other apps that arent out native on intel yet I chose the pb. Plus Ive had some bad experience with rev a machines. I got a good deal with edu discount. You could go on playing the waiting game for ever...:rolleyes:
     
  10. m-dogg macrumors 65816

    m-dogg

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2004
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #10
    And also, has Apple actually said they wil be holding an event on/around April 1st? Or is everyone just assuming they will since it's their anniversary?
     
  11. Chundles macrumors G4

    Chundles

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    #11
    We're assuming it. Although Steve mentioned the anniversary at MWSF saying to the gathered crowd "I won't be able to speak to all of you until then." And at the last event "see you all real soon" so we all are pretty sure they'll do something around that time to celebrate 30 years.

    Free iPods for Mac owners.....:D
     

Share This Page