Ohio State vs Michigan

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kgarchar, Nov 13, 2006.

1. kgarchar macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    Well, this game is going to be pretty big. To most people here in Columbus, It's going to be bigger than the National Championship (if OSU wins)

I'm not even a big Ohio State fan (Notre Dame all the way for me) but I'm super excited about this game. It's such a big thing, they rescheduled the highschool football playoffs from saturday to friday. Hahaha.

What are your thoughts on the game? I think it might be the best game this season, next to Notre Dame and USC, then ND in the National Championship game. :)
  2. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Apr 1, 2005
    I am NOT trolling

I root for two teams:

1. Whoever plays Ohio State
    2. Whoever plays Michigan

This game puts me in a difficult position, of course, so I root for a tie.

In case you're wondering, I root for Penn State. Go Lions!
  3. zach macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    i hate OSU with a passion :)
    but seriously, in a completely unbiased analysis of the game... i think Michigan will win by a field goal.

and yeah, i think this will far and away be the game of the year... it's the national championship game in my opinion.
  4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    I hate Michigan. OSU all the way. Plus considering its at The Horseshoe, there is no reason OSU should win.
  5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005
    I cant stand OSU, so go Michigan. Ever since they ROBBED that national title game from us in '02....
  6. kgarchar thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    I forgot to add, When I said I'm not that big of an OSU fan, I Meant that OSU is the only team I hate more than Michigan (Michigan and USC are about the same on my Hate Scale)
  7. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I'm an SEC fan (read: Mississippi State fan, we never win so we jump on the winning SEC team's bandwagon). Since everyone in the SEC has one loss, they're probably out of a championship game. I will be in front of the TV to see the Michigan v OSU game. Not sure who I'm pullling for, but the visiting team usually has a lot to overcome. So I may be rooting for Michigan. I just hope it's a great game. This is what college football is all about!
  8. stonyc macrumors 65816

Feb 15, 2005
    Did you mean to say "there is no reason OSU should not be able to win."? Otherwise, you're saying that there's no reason that O$U should be able to win this game against Michigan.. which I wholeheartedly agree with. :)
  9. achie25 macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2005
    First of all it is the MICHIGAN vs o$u game. ;) I think that o$u is a good team but they have not faced a defense like MICHIGAN. troy smith meet Alan Branch and Company!

Both sides know that this is always a dog fight and the best rivalry in all of sports! Period! Especially this year with everything on the line. Will be a great game. MICHIGAN 27 o$u 21 GO BLUE!
  10. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2005
    Phila, PA
    Full disclosure: Michigan grad

I actually start to shake when I think about this game. I think that it's pretty funny that the national championship game will be anti-climactic for everyone after Saturday.

Even though I hate OSU, I actually like Troy Smith. But I love Michigan. If Hart stays healthy it will be a great game. Go Blue!
  11. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Go Blue. My cousin (He's 7) actually made a funny comment the other day. He said he thinks Ohio State will win because they cheat. :) My family (most of whom is from Michigan) agreed that OSU is a bunch of cheaters.
  12. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2005
    Phila, PA
    My favorite part of every Michigan vs OSU game is when an OSU receiver gets a personal foul for taunting. It's like there is a class for this "Remember, when you're near the goal line, hold out the ball like you are going to give it to the defender. Keep taunting until you see a yellow flag." David Boston was great at this - and at taking steroids.
  13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Whew, way to much blue in here!!

We all know you can't spell Lloyd Carr without 5 "L"s!!! :D ;)

14. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit

Go Bucks!

Shame I'm leaving Columbus the day of the game. Oh well. I watched the last two Games in the airport.
  15. BengalDuck macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    I'm an Oregon Duck fan, so I know first hand that Michigan is always criminally overrated. ;)

Troy Smith + Home Game > Chad Henne + Lloyd Carr.

Seriously... why do people expect Michigan to somehow compete this year when the game is at Ohio State and Troy Smith is a senior? Tressel is still a far better coach than Carr.

Michigan typically collapses during the year. They're just lucky they really haven't played any good teams this year. ;) (Wisconsin is terrible... Penn State is bad... Notre Dame is okay... tOSU is very good)
  16. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    As an Illinois alumnus, I can't say I have a great love for either team, but I do have pride in the Big Ten, so don't have an issue rooting for them in Bowl games. However, I think this game could really expose the problems with the whole BCS/Ranking system.

Here you have two undefeated teams, ranked #1 and #2, playing prior to the actual "National Championship" game. Behind them in the polls are 21 teams with 1 or more losses, and 2 other undefeated teams, Rutgers and Boise State at #7 and #10.

If this game is close, perhaps OSU winning by a couple of point or vice-versa, I'd expect that both of these teams could meet again in the National Championship game since the loser would have only 1 loss, and that, potentially, would be to the #1 team in the country on the road. I think the case could be made even better if Michigan wins.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Personally, I don't have a real rooting interest in this game.
  17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    This is dedicated to the BCS Ranking System. I'm hoping this weekend that:

Michigan beats Ohio State
    Florida loses, though it's highly unlikely this weekend, but to Florida St. on the 25th.
    USC loses to California
    Arkansas wins out to finish 11-1
    Notre Dame loses to Army, though highly unlikely
    Rutgers finishes undefeated.

So, with Michigan and Rutgers, the only undefeateds in the top 10, Arkansas would move up to the #2 slot after Ohio St.'s loss, and Rutgers and Notre Dame would twist NBC's and the networks arms to claim their rightful chance to play in the BCS Championship. Then we'd get to listen to all the talk that's gone on for decades about the bull system. I'd really love to see a good part of that scenario unfold. :p
  18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    And the only "good" team that OSU played was Texas, which was ranked No. 2 at the time OSU played them (Same as ND when UM destroyed them).
  19. jamone80 macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2006
    So Cal
    since i'm out here from the west coast (following the pac-10) i'm not a die hard fan for either team. But i think OSU is gonna come out winning here...not too familiar with their stats but just a feeling..
    on another note, i think this year's college football season has been crazy with all the ranked teams playing each other. all the movement in the BCS rankings has kept me on my toes...hope next season is just as exciting!
  20. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Wisconsin is "terrible"? Ranked #12, though. Notre Dame is "okay"? Ranked #6, though. I'll give you Penn State... ;)

But really, this is the problem with all of this "National Championship" crap. Since there is no playoff system, and many of the top teams don't play each other, there is no way to determine who's really better than anyone else. All we have is this "ranking" system based on how good someone appears to be.

In the end, good teams get left off the potential National Championship game because they weren't ranked high enough early enough in the season, and it's hard to recover from that.

In my mind, being crowned the "National Champion" is a cool thing, because it means you were better than a lot of teams, but it really doesn't mean you were the "best" team.

At least with Basketball, you need to be consistently decent over the course of the season, then play well over the course of several weeks and 6 games to get crowned. Sure, you still might luck out, but it's not the same.

It's too bad that a playoff system in college football seems to be out of the question.
  21. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

i am right with ya brother. go meeeeeeeeechigan
  22. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
  23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Well, y'all know I'm from Ohio, so GO BUCKS! BEAT MEEEEEEECHIGAN!
  24. BengalDuck macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    Do you really think Notre Dame is the 6th best team in the country?
    Do you really have faith in John freaking Stocco to win a big game?

Just because these teams are ranked high doesn't mean that they're any good. In fact, I'd bet 20-30 teams would beat either of those teams at least 60% of the time if they'd played.

Obviously there is no way to prove this. Ah, the beauty of sports!
  25. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    That was exactly the point of my post. ;)