Ohio's turning blue; how about you?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 17, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Here's a subject we could make into a sticky from now until November: how races are shaping up for the upcoming election in various states.

For instance, I was pleased to find this in one of the local (Cleveland, Ohio) papers this morning:

Now, the Strickland thing is important, sure. Ken Blackwell is not just intellectually dishonest in the extreme, he's actually a menace, pushing a budget-limiting amendment that's similar to the one that's been so disastrous for Colorado. And Blackwell was the secretary of state who certified the Ohio Bush 2004 results despite what looked like some shady activities. So yes, it's important that Strickland win.

But for me, the big news is that Sherrod Brown is actually pulling ahead of (or at least even with) incumbent Mike DeWine. DeWine is a rather quiet, relatively inoffensive congressman, and Sherrod Brown is a definite liberal. The fact that Brown can be surging upward in this state is rather remarkable. (Ohio is becoming thought of more and more as a red state, not a swing state.)

Yes, things are looking up in Ohio. As recently as a month ago, DeWine looked pretty safe. But now...?

If such a red state as Ohio can be suddenly turning blue, what does that say about the Republicans' fortunes in the rest of the country? What's going on in your neck of the woods? Do you have any good news about House, Senate or gubernatorial races?

Plain Dealer link

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well i live in IL, so we're pretty much sticking blue. aren't we always? ;)

although i'm glad to hear that some nice changes may be coming our way in November.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was in WA and I'm now in CA, so we all know how we're swinging. Arnold is going to be out of a job soon, I can tell you that. I look at 2005 at think '06 is going to be similar or better. People don't really like the Dems, but they really don't like the neocons.

Never put it past the Dems to blow an election though.

4. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

What I'd like to see is Indiana going blue; now that would be a bellwether!

(Well, OK, I'd like to see Utah and Idaho going liberal-Democrat, and I'd like to see a flock of ivory-billed woodpeckers, too, but among the things that are actually possible, Indiana would be very nice)

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Heh heh, Indiana. For right or wrong, when I think of Indiana I think of its favorite (fictional) son -- Major Frank Burns, a man who embodies the pettiness, bigotry and piety of the far right.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm- Ohio a blue state? Sorry, I spent my first 25 years there and I'll believe it when I see it.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wow, Sherrod Brown beating out Mike DeWine? Times are changing. Mike has been around forever it seems like. Back when I was a student at Oberlin College my friend and I (probably the only two conservatives at Oberlin!) helped out on many Lorrain County Republican campaigns. I guess the people out there are ready for some new blood.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ohio has basically been blue-leaning since the early 1990s...the big issue was getting blue voters to the polls...and it haunted john kerry in 2004 by failing to do so

same could be said for virginia, which could swing either way

but i believe most of the other states in the south outside of virginia are slightly red or solidly red

pennsylvania is slightly blue and could go red and be a spoiler state in 06 and 08...and it could be the gop's ace in the pocket