Oil and Steal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Apr 25, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4944814.stm

You'd think a few more grunts on the ground might be able to protect a couple of lousy pielines? Nah, Rumsfeld says that kind of thinking's outdated in today's US Army. Ah well, you go to war with the Administration you've got, I suppose.

2. cc bcc macrumors 6502

You'd think you can hire and train tens of thousands of people to secure the pipelines, and still make more money. That's a lot of jobs, which is also good for the economy. But that's probably close to impossible to set up..

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This is why the insurgency attacked the pipelines. I think they knew what we were really there for before most of us did. Of course, they also got the weapons because we weren't protecting those very well either.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

It is interesting to speculate on who benefits and who loses from this situation.

Obviously, Iraq loses - but decreased production and increased smuggling have to benefit someone.

I assume the US will eventually have contracts sewn up for access to Iraqi oil, but for now there seems to be oil to be bought elsewhere. Is the bottleneck not supposed to be refineries anyway?

I am curious. If anyone has any answers or educated guesses on who wins and loses here - do let me know.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd say at this point everybody loses, but that would be flippant.