Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Ok if you don't know what a Screen clutch is, well I may have used the incorrect term. The part I am talking about is the point in the hinge that makes the screen stay stationary at whatever angle you place it in.

My iBook lid is somewhat hard to open and close, When I open it it actually pulls the bottom of the screen bezel away from the display.

Is there a way to make this more loose, or lubricate it? I am wondering if this is part of what killed my last logic board, as it only acted up when I moved the screen (tilted back or forward).

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks again,

image.php

aznsal612

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2004
Oil won't work. The reason why it does that is an error in manufacturing. They over-torqued the hinge so that it is too tightly wound. I've seen cases (I work at one of the stores) where an iBook was shut completely closed and couldn't open without breaking the hinge. It was weird, but it's somewhat of a familiar issue with iBooks.

I would say, bring it into an Apple Store and tell them your iBook hinge was over-torqued and they should be able to fix that for you.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Have you considered the Syndrol HD for sale here. It seems to be what you want...

Or perhaps a whole Glide Kit? It says it " Conditions display hinges for smooth, quiet and effortless rotation."

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
aznsal612 said:
Oil won't work. The reason why it does that is an error in manufacturing. They over-torqued the hinge so that it is too tightly wound. I've seen cases (I work at one of the stores) where an iBook was shut completely closed and couldn't open without breaking the hinge. It was weird, but it's somewhat of a familiar issue with iBooks.

I would say, bring it into an Apple Store and tell them your iBook hinge was over-torqued and they should be able to fix that for you.

Is there a way for me to loosen this?

I have installed over 4 Logic board in iBooks now, so I don't think the screen issue will be over my head. Is there a Set screw inside the display portion of the hinge? That is the only portion I haven't taken apart on one of these yet.

Thanks

image.php

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
robbieduncan said:
Have you considered the Syndrol HD for sale here. It seems to be what you want...

Or perhaps a whole Glide Kit? It says it " Conditions display hinges for smooth, quiet and effortless rotation."

Thanks!

If I can't figure out this torque thing, I may try that as I know WD-40 or the likes will either start a fire, or melt the wiring sheath.

image.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.