Oiling up a G5 Fan

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mystixman, Feb 23, 2004.

1. mystixman macrumors regular

My G5's fan has been awfully squeaky lately, and I was wondering if it is safe to oil it with some 3 in 1 oil or something.

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I doubt it would really help. Usually the oil in a fan motor is thicker than 3-in-1. If the bearings inside the fan are making noise, it would most likely require disassembly before you could get the bearings lubricated. Have you talked to Apple to see if they will replace it?

However, it is worth a shot, just make sure you do not use a ton of it.

3. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

An 80 mm fan like one apple uses is like 10 dollars. Sack up.

4. schatten macrumors member

schatten

I'd recommend against that. I've had customers who brought in their damaged computers, feeling it would be a good idea to lubricate a cooling fan. When the fan spins, it splatters the lube all over the inside of the case. That can be deadly to a computer. That's just from my own experience. Your mileage may vary ;)

5. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

Since your G5 must be fairly new, I'm pretty sure it's still under warranty. I'd hate for you to ruin such a great computer b/c of a $10 component.

6. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't use oil. Try something like a Teflon or grahphite paste that is used to stop friction in hobby cars ect. That way is it much more of a soild not a liquid and use a VERY small amount. Just get a new fan. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :p ???

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Yea i agree, dont do anything to it because anything is "accidental damage" now.....Take it to an Apple store and tell them to replace the fans or something

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

the Apple store people are trained by the FBI to sniff out customer additions or modifications - be upfront and ask for help. If they won't - then break out the grease.

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Another vote here for a new fan, dealing with the noise, or finding an appropriate lubricant. High RPM + oil = oil slinging all over the place, which is bad.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This is not quit on topic. For some reason I can't find the exact discussion reference. The discussion was about the noise level of the G5 and that it hasn't been fixed. I thought that the noise level of the G5 was improved. My G4 has a constant hum noise, its a noise that I have just leaned to live with. How does the noise level compare between the G4 & G5?

11. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

I am having the same trouble with my fans, it is quite annoying while working without music on. Louder fans than some I have heard on friend's powermac G5s.

I am giving Apple a call.

Cheers.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is exactly what I would do if I had a G5. It would be a shame to void the warranty. Apple can only correct problems if they are made aware.

13. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

My powermac G5 is quieter than my 800mhz Ti PB G4. I would say that the G5 is quieter in every situation (except booting). note that i've only experienced the dual 1.8 revision A and the dual 2.0 revision A.

Edit: Assuming the G4 laptops fan was running. The G5 has a low piched fan noise.

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Wow, this thread title really gave me a different expectation. I though Sir_Giggles had snuck back in with some new pics. :rolleyes:

15. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

I also wouldn't fiddle with the fans. After all this is what AppleCare is for.
    Well, and then I'm used to having SpaceShuttle-like noise around me. My PowerMac G4 (they're known for that) is the left rocket booster and my PowerBook (they're not really known for that) is the right one.

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

In a related question, what is everyone's opinion on installing 'aftermarket' fans into an iMac? Do you all think it would (a) quiet it down, assuming you got the nice ultra quiet tripple bearing or whatever ones, and (b) void or affect your warranty?

I know a lot (most?) people report that their G5 iMac runs very quiet, but there are many who have loud fan noise... just a thought...

Rob

17. mms macrumors 6502a

Well, (b) is for certain. You mess with anything in there, then when anything happens you're screwed. As for (a), it's up for grabs. Depends, I guess, on what kind of fan you manage to get and how well you do it. I would not recommend it.