Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fabrix2003

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Cheshire UK
ok this is driving me insane.

i went to a site and downloaded a patch for my desktop, for some apparant reason i have a file stuck on my desktop when i try to delete it, its saying

the item was an .exe but i think i disturbed the file download but it still looks like its in download mode (where it shows the buidl up bar by it)

it says it being used by another task right now! but theres no tasks running! i tryed doing a repair of the hard drive and that never worked, i dont really want to fresh install OSX because i dont know how to really, and i wont do it anyway.

i think theres a force delete? is it hold shift and drag to bin, because that never worked either i cant even move it away in a file. and its pecking my head.

If anyone has any suggestions plzzz help. lol.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Okay I know there are methods of deleting files via the terminal, but if your computer can launch into OS9, you can trash the little bastard from there. From System Pref. select Startup Disks and select to startup in 9. Vice versa to get back into OSX from 9.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
you can also download a secure delete utility like secret shredder from versiontracker.com. apps like this will normally delete any such file without giving you the error message.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Originally posted by Fabrix2003
ok when i select startup in osx i dont see os9 in the list i just see network and the osx on macintosh HDD?
:(

you are using a 17" al pb which cannot start up in os 9.

try using my solution.

Fabrix2003

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Cheshire UK
i downloaded secretshredder but it costs money to get it, i think its pointless just to remove one file.
unless theres other ways of using it, i downloaded it u see it says shred disk or shred trash

1. the file aint in the trash its on the desktop.
2.its asking all the time to regester for $$$

:(

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
secret shredder does not cost anything to use, but you can pay to register and get extra features. even without registering it still has far more features than any other deletion app and doesn't bother you about registering.

just drag the file onto the secret shredder icon and it will delete it.

you say it keeps bothering you about money, but mine doesnt and i haven't registered. i use version 0.2.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
1. Rename the file to "remove.rtf"
2. Launch TextEdit (/Applications/TextEdit)
3. Choose File menu > Save As
4. Type: "remove" in the Save As field
5. Select the location where the file is located
6. Click Save, then Replace
7. Quit TextEdit
8. Drag remove.rtf to the Trash

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.