OK Apple - you have 2 weeks!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. maclamb macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #1
    I have finally saved enough $ to get a DP 1.8 + IPod.
    I'm just about to order - but will wait 2 weeks - if qpple doesn't release anythign by then, I'll "dance witht he one what brung me" - as we used to say.
    Why wait - well, if I can get a DP 2.0 or DP 2.4 for the same $ I'm willing to wait 2 weeks - but not more - life goes on.
    This will be a BTO (Bluetooth, Combo, 9600), so I can't return it once purchased...
    Anyone else?
     
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

    jxyama

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2003
    #2
    by publically (somewhat, on MR, i guess) stating that you will be purchasing a new machine in two weeks, you've set yourself up to see an upgrade a week after you place your order. :D

    of course, if it's just a week, you might be able to get some sort of a credit..? maybe.

    good luck waiting... must be tough. for your sake, i hope they do upgrade shortly.
     
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    VA
    #3
    The rumor has it that there will be decent price savings on the new mid range machine - so you might be able to get a dual 2.3 and 40 gig ipod for the same amount as you're planning on paying for the dual 1.8 right now.

    I'd wait until something is released, even if its 15 days from now.

    Good luck,

    D
     
  4. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #4
    Excellent points both.
    I have the order saved - but nothing says i HAVE to push the order button on the 5th ;-)

    Maybe by publically stating it - then "forgetting " to push it for another week the upgrades will happen on the 12th -
    Anyway the is gretting silly...the universe is not "personal".
     
  5. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2002
    #5
    I agree with Mr. Anderson... There's no point in giving yourself "two weeks" and then buying whatever is available. If you don't absolutely need the machine on the 5th, then just wait until something new is released.. That way you'll never be disappointed.

    There willl always be something better on the horizon. Your best bet always is to make the purchase as close as possible to the release date of a product. I got my G5 in October, and have got a lot of work done in the meanwhile. I knew faster Power Macs were coming in the spring, but it doesn't matter because I got my work done. ;)
     
  6. sethypoo macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Location:
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    #6
    Re: OK Apple - you have 2 weeks!

    Good things come to those who wait.

    I think I've said that 17 times on MR so far.:rolleyes: No one seems to really listen, I hope you do!
     
  7. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #7
    I hear you - and that's why I'm OK with buying a DP 1.8 now.
    I just figured "2 weeks" - becuase that gets me past the 24th and superbowl.
    I would be MORE than satisfied with a DP 1.8 - so, I figure wait till the tuesday past Superbowl - if nothing happens then put the order through.
    At the level I work a DP 1.8 is far beyond what I need -anyway - a DP 2+ is way overkill-- a SP 1.8 would be fine - but with my ADC discount - I can get the DP 1.8 for about the same price a s SP 1.8 on the street...ad a DP 1.8 will alst me for years.
     
  8. Westside guy macrumors 601

    Westside guy

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2003
    Location:
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    #8
    I was in a similar situation last year

    Last year I was ready to get my first Mac. When the new Aluminum Powerbooks were announced at Mac World SF, I started listening to the rumor sites regarding when the 15" was going to be updated. "May be as late as Februrary" I heard. "Early March, as soon as current stocks are depleted" was also popular.

    February came around, as did March. "Updated expected within two or three weeks at the latest" became a popular mantra. I waited... still no new Aluminum 15" Powerbook.

    About April, I believe, rumors started to swirl about the WWDC. "Big announcements... must be the new 15" PB" (he he).

    Okay, you get the point. I waited and waited, ... but it was SEPTEMBER before the 15" got updated!

    Don't get me wrong - I love my new Powerbook - but if all you're waiting for is a processor speed bump I strongly recommend you don't follow my example. Go ahead and wait the two weeks, since you've already committed to that. But once the time is up, no matter WHAT the rumor sites are saying... you really should buy the darn thing. :D
     
  9. Counterfit macrumors G3

    Counterfit

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    Location:
    sitting on your shoulder
    #9
    Re: I was in a similar situation last year

    I did the exact same thing, except I started looking about right after the previous upgrade. I was planning on buying a TiBook in the spring, but then MWSF came around, and the rest is just how you said.
     
  10. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #10
    MR Site is worth the Price of Admission

    So I was just sitting in a code review and thinking about this thread.
    WHY AM I WAITING? Good Grief. Since the DP1.8 is so much more than I need and will need - sheesh - why wait.
    I will wait the two weeks - but come the 4th I'll enter the order and let the chips fall. I always counsel peopl not to wait unless they *know* some thing new is coming - and then fall for the same B***S*** myself!
    This is second guessing is very addictive...

    thanks ....
     
  11. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

    1macker1

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2003
    Location:
    A Higher Level
    #11
    Re: OK Apple - you have 2 weeks!

    If you buy from CompUSA, and a new model comes out, and if the model you bought has a price drop, they'll pay the difference. When I got my iMac (800Mhz), the 1G came out the following week, so the price of the 800Mhz dropped, and they paid me the difference. No hassel at all.
     
  12. Pseudonym macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2004
    Location:
    Old Blighty
    #12
    Do what I do - buy the machine and then don't buy any Mac magazines, visit any sites or open emails from Apple. That way you never know what you've missed!
     
  13. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #13
    Re: Re: OK Apple - you have 2 weeks!

    thanks - But I have to use my ADC discount - and that must be via the apple store.
     
  14. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #14
    Tired of waiting

    I have enough saved to buy my midrange (hopefully 2.4) powermac when it is released. I have everything else for my setup waiting at my house (JBL Invaders, Revolution 7.1 sound card, and a 17 inch display I just purchased) I, too am tired of waiting but will wait anyway, because I know what happened last time.

    Last Time: I purchased the top of the line CRT iMac two weeks before the New iMacs are released (Sh*t!).
     
  15. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #15
    why wait at all?

    come to think of it - why wait at all.
    If a completly new line was coming out - like last year with the introduction of the G5 - OK that makes sense.
    But in this case - what's "worst scenario"?
    1. The DP 1.8 drops in price - with my ADC discount that's mitigated - to at most a couple hundred $
    2. I could get the DP 2.0 for same price


    so what - for what I use it for i could get along with an ibook G4 - so the extra horsepower is wasted on me....
     
  16. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #16
    The Worst Case Scencerio is that you will be damning your very existence for being so stupid and missing out on getting a machine anywhere from 400 MHz to maybe even 800 MHz at the same price! If it were me I'd have buyer's remorse for months!
     
  17. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #17
    EXACTLY - which is why I haven't placed the order yet.

    but my Wallstreet is slowwwwwwwwww (took 5 minutes just to type all those 'w')
     
  18. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
  19. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
  20. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

    flyfish29

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2003
    Location:
    New HAMpshire
    #20
    You will be disappointed...it is just a matter of how long you have to wait to have that happen...longer is better here :D

    Anyway, ask yourself this. Is the sun going to rise on the 6th ONLY IF I BUY A NEW MAC?

    Am I going to win the lottery on the 6th because of my new Mac?

    Is there going to be world peace on the 6th due to my new Mac?

    If you answered yes to any of the above questions by all means buy it...buy it soon...buy it NOW!:cool:

    If you answer yes to the second question by the way please drop me a line...my cut is 10% for persuading you to buy the damn mac :D
     
  21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

    flyfish29

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2003
    Location:
    New HAMpshire
    #21
    You bought your new mac last month...right :D :D
     
  22. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #22
    LOL
    You guys are too much -
    Tell me you haven't gone through this..
    Actually I haven't before.
    So let me enjoy it!

    Don;t you think it odd no announcement for apple about the 20th anniv?
     
  23. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

    Belly-laughs

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2003
    Location:
    you wish
    #23
    Just... push... the... button!

    I think you should do the rest of us a favour and push the green button now! It seems like you´re destined to purchase your new Mac two weeks before an upgrade appears, no matter how long you wait. The sooner you push it, the sooner the rest of us will be able to enjoy new Apple products.

    It´s not you waiting for Apple. It´s Apple waiting for you. Sorry! :)
     
  24. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #24
    Re: Just... push... the... button!

    HA! Fat chance! No way you all are getting off the hook that easily!

    You're going to have to wait just like me...:D
     
  25. Mr.kr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2004
    Location:
    Mississippi
    #25
    Ahhh first post. I've been holding myself back so I wouldn't post Yet Another 12" vs 14" or iBook vs PowerBook or What should I do? thread. Though I'm glad others did because I have spent countless hours in the last couple of weeks reading the Mac forums. And of all the ones I've found I keep coming back here 'cause it is the best. So I joined.

    Anyway, with that out of the way, yes, I am also waiting until early Feburary. This will be my first Mac purchase. I know I want a 12" laptop. I'd really like a Powerbook. It just seems at this particular time the 12" PB is lagging behind the other laptops in terms of a value/cost ratio. The reasons for this have been laid out in numerous other threads here and elsewhere.

    So I'm traveling 3 hours to Germantown, TN this Sunday to the nearest Apple store to make my final decision on iBook or Powerbook. Then I'll wait until early Feburary to make the order. No more waiting! If an update comes out before my order, awesome! If it comes out soon after, oh well, it'll suck but that's life.

    I've been thinking about making the switch for over a year and now I'm sure I want to do it.

    Final parting thoughts about forums.macrumors.com: It seems no matter how many times someone brings up an issue that has been discussed many times over, you all jump to help the person out. You people rock.

    --
    Kary Rogers
    Soon-to-be-Mac-owner
     

Share This Page