OK Aussies, it's time for iTMS Australia

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macette, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Macette macrumors 6502

This morning's Green Guide (Melbourne TV/Technology section of newspaper) published this article:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/28/1075088078345.html

What do we do to get behind Apple and prove to the awful Telstra Bigpond that they can't ignore Mac / iPod users?

I want iTunes Music Store in Australia, and I want it soon. I don't want Bigpond to win the race just because they started first.

Arrghgghhhhh!!! (bloodthirsty battle cry)

2. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Telstra isn't the only online music available here in Aust...

Apple better hurry up - or they will more than miss the boat!
    Lots of iPODs out there...
    Lots of people believing (and hoping / praying) that the rumour of first quarter 2004 will happen for Oz iTMS

sigh
    I still (albeit knowing better) click on the Music Store in my iTUNES - hoping - one day - I won't get that annoying country warning.

3. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

who are you kidding. Appel care about somewhere else but the US? Ha!

We still don't have iPhoto photo albums but I am sure that kodak would be willing to rip us all off. Why doesn't Apple ask them - Apple Australia is lazy.

We will see iTMS - but by then Bigpond will be lasty cause of their high prices and someone else will rule.

Oh well - time to move to the US.

4. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

bump

anyone heard any more about iTMS for Aust?

I remember reading in here somewhere a Kiwi with some Apple contacts - saying it wasn't too far away?!?!?!
    We are now about to get into March - and yet - still nothing... nadda... zip...?

And now even rumours that Destra who have online music shops via several retail music providers - are now looking at providing AAC as well as the current WMA????

sigh - pls Apple... grovel grovel grovel

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

You would think Australia would be easy. Its one copyright area with one currency after all, not like Europe.
    Its English speaking so pretty much the US store in Aussie prices would work.
    No one wants Telstra to win here, so there would be plenty of support for iTunes, especially given the American influences in our culture and awaresness of the Pepsi promotion etc.

6. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

With less than 20 million people I doubt Apple give a toss about us, we're just not economically significant in the eyes of Apple USA and Apple Australia don't give a crap full stop.

I'd expect iTMS Australia sometime after Canada get their own store.

7. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Here is some bad news....

pulled this quote out of the Autumn 2004 GQ magazine today. Is an article about the Online Music Revolution. p142-145

"Apple acolytes in Australia say they do not intend to establish an online music store currently"

God lets hope:
    1. Its not up to Apple Australia, OR
    2. Its not true!!!!!

8. Opteron macrumors 6502

Is it that hard to take a trip down to "JB Hi-Fi" and buy a CD, if you want to support the artists. What I do when I feel the music is worth buying.

Or if you believe like me that many current artists don't diserve credit for their poor immitations of music "DOWNLOAD FOR FREEE"

9. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

it's not hard to go to JB - but that's not even slightly the point. the iTunes music store offers a totally different way of buying music, and it would be a terrible shame if Apple, who so far do the best job of online music sales, didn't see fit to include Australians in the party.

i really, really hope it's not up to apple Australia to do anything about it, too. that quote from GQ is scary.

10. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

well - what has apple australia ever done for its mac users?
    Oh yay - it imports them for us.
    It even imports them from america instead of taiwan where its cheaper - thanx apple australia.

dont believe me - check hong kong prices.
    they are sooo cheap. (use osx calculator to convert currency or divide by 5.2 approx.)

11. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

That about sums it up.

My future power book is still over a thousand dollars more than if I bought it in the USA!

:mad:

12. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

i really think apple australia's biggest failure is in the marketing / strategy areas. australia is one of a handful of countries who could support a much greater marketshare for apple, and by sitting on their hands when opportunities like the itunes music store come up, they're just screwing it for everyone.

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Todays The Barrow had a nice public swipe at Apple Australia for their over pricing :D

14. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

i think "overpricing" is a more complicated economic equation than simply converting US dollars into Aussie dollars... I'm not as worried about the pricing as i am about the general lack of support for apple stuff here. and have you ever spoken to apple support people here? I rang about my airport basestation recently, and was on hold for so long that I managed to fix the problem myself. sheessh.

15. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

No, I don't have a Mac *YET*

I have heard NO good stories about Apple Australia...which is a worry for a would-be switcher like myself. But I won't get a Mac at all until the huge inflation is addressed. I have been patient for 6 months already, I can keep waiting or figure out a good way to go directly to the states, pay by duty, and still save $500 or so more than buying it here

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,8746899^15423^^nbv^15309,00.html