OK, dammit! I'm buying a DS! But what game to buy first?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ravenvii, Aug 26, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I'm going to buy a DS tomorrow. And I'm going to buy one game (Can't afford any more... Actually I barely can afford the DS as is, so it'll be too much for my conscience and wallet to get more than one game for now). Which game should it be? I'm interested in:

Advanced Wars
    Mario DS

Which of those should I get first?
  2. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    Metroid hasn't come out yet, sorry.
    I don't know about Advanced Wars.
    Nintendogs doesn't appeal to me.
    WarioWare is fun. Makes good use of the different ways you can interact with your DS. Personally, I'll take Feel the Magic over WarioWare, though.
    Mario DS is fun, but ultimately is little more than just playing Mario 64 on a portable.

Personally, I would tell you to go with either Feel the Magic or WarioWare first, since they make fun use of the stylus and voice recognition.

If you're looking for a fun multiplayer game, Bomberman has always been a blast.

If you like oldschool and can find a copy, pick up Nanostray, but it doesn't make as good of use of the DS's unique features.
  3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mario for me, just because i did not own a n64. I would play it at my mates place all the time. Addictive and fun.

On the other thread you said you like quick gaming, maybe consider Warioware.
  4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Wait, Metroid isn't out yet? Thought Metroid Prime: Hunters is one of the launch titles?

And I just remembered a game I heard raves about, Meteos. Is it a good first game?
  5. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    advance wars, only game that made me consider getting a DS/advance.
  6. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003

All of the games that you have mentioned are great titles. As others have stated before, Metroid isn't out yet, but should be out early next year. Rumor is that they are trying to add online play.

My recommendation: Advance Wars. You will not be disappointed.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    The single most played DS game i have is either Kirby or WarioWare. WarioWare doesn't feel like a game though. its so addictive and mental but not for everyone.

Kirby is pure brilliance. you play the entire game using just the stylus. no buttons or anything. just draw where you want to go. immense fun.

Nanostray is amazing if you like retro Shooters.

Mario 64 is without doubt the greatest 3D platformer.

I just got Bomberman, and its multiplayer is amazing. I've only played a 2 person battle so far but even that was good. seems like Bombermans dropping in price too, its dropped £5 here in the UK so its only £19.99, probably less for you americans.

Advance Wars looks like THE game right now. but i cant personally recommend it as i dont have it yet!
  8. Devie macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Advance Wars :)
    Out of those, this title will last you the most I would think.
  9. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    'Advance Wars' will last the longest.

I still haven't beaten 'Advance Wars 2' for the GBA...

Plus, the AI becomes rather impossible at later stages - so it's sure to keep you occupied (piss you off - cause you to throw the catridge across the room).
  10. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    metroid was launched as a demo version to show the system's capabilities. The full version is to come out soon i guess, by this holiday season?

anyway i'd say Mario because it's just awesome, Warioware, and then Nintendogs. Those 3 you can't go wrong with. :)
  11. debroglie macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    While I realize that Walmart is evil, many locations still have the DS Titanium + Mario 64 bundle for only 129.99. If you got that, you could get Mario 64 and another game.
  12. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Super Mario 64 is pretty fun. I'm looking forward to Advance Wars DS (it's out?). Another one to consider is Meteos.

Don't forget to check out the used GBA games too... GBA games look brighter on the DS screen.
  13. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    so far i'm really enjoying Bomberman, that gets my vote.
  14. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    My favorite is Meteos, but I want AW pretty bad. Oh yeah, buy the game used at EB. They will work or you get another copy free. Save some money! ;)
  15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    No, the DEMO came with the system.

It's been delayed to next year.
  16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    WarioWare was fun but way too short. I dunno, I'm not a big fan of that type of game. I'd say one of the first two, plus Mario.
  17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Quick question: Does the Metroid demo still come with the DS after price drop? And did it/does it still come with the DS+Mario64 bundle?

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Nope, thats why I'm not fond of the price drop.

However, if you're fast, they sometimes marked the leftover Mario 64 bundles down to $129 so you can grab them before they sell.

The DS no longer comes with anything bundled I believe.
  19. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
  20. debroglie macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I hesitate to give this link, because I have to wait to get a DS and I don't want this deal to run out of stock... but here is a link to where you can get the old mario 64 bundle for 129.99

You're welcome;)
  21. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I'd do that myself, too. It's also available online.

I'd get Advance Wars. It'll keep anyone busy long enough.
  22. Rovias macrumors member

Feb 22, 2005
    How to get the most bang for your buck:

Go to Wal-Mart and buy one of the now discounted Electric Blue DS/Mario 64 bundles for $129.99. Yes, they do have them in store, and you'll save on shipping charges. Then buy Meteos [or insert substitute game here] for another $29.99. For $160, you now have a DS and two great games to enjoy. Both games will last you quite a long time.

And while WarioWare is fun, it can be beaten easily in about a week. I'd recommend picking it up later after a price drop.

This is the best way to go. Have fun!
  23. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Yep, thanks guys a million for saving me $30, I'm heading to WalMart and taking advantage of that bundle. I really hope it's titanium though, I don't like the electric blue color...
  24. Sol macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    Three games I own & recommend

If you want a game that utilises the touch-screen and microphone get Project Rub/Feel The Magic. It is a great collection of mini-games with a style all its own.

Zoo Keeper is also a great game. It is the game that I have played the most for the past two months. The gameplay is very simple but once you get hooked it becomes difficult to get those damned blocks out of your mind.

The Metroid: First Hunt demo is worth hunting down especially now that the full game has been delayed.
  25. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Ok, just came back with a Nintendo DS! :D I got it from EB Games, since the WalMart is out :(

I got two games with it - Super Mario DS and *gulp, hands in man card* Nintendogs. I got the chihuahua one since they're out of the other two. I originally wanted to get WarioWare Touched!, but they're asking $34.99 for it? I'll wait for the price drop, thanks.