OK, down to three!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jscheiman, Mar 27, 2005.

1. jscheiman macrumors member

So after having gone to Best Buy, Circuit City, MicroCenter and a Dell kiosk, I have come down to three monitors. At first I was only interested in the 19" because it's really all I can afford. However, after looking at the extra real estate of the 20" monitors (1280x1024 vs. 1600x1200) I have decided that's the route I'm going. Although there was a 19" Samsung that was gorgeous! (193P) The base really set the whole thing off, of course, they don't offer a simlar look in the 20" size catergory.

Here are my three finalists, one Samsung and two Dell's. I am currently leaning more toward the Dell's due to the great pricing along with the added coupons and discounts.

What are your opinions on these and which would you choose as your own? Thanks for your feedback!

A. Samsung 213T - http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=NB21BSAS

B. Dell 2001FP - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...y_id=5194&first=true&page=productlisting.aspx

C. Dell 2005FPW - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...y_id=6198&first=true&page=productlisting.aspx

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

While Samsung does make great monitors (I have a 172T), the Dells blow them away with the amazing prices and amazingly good monitors. I'd go for the 2005FPW myself, but whether you want widescreen or 4:3 aspect ratio is entirely up to opinion, so you'll have to figure that one out.

3. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

The Dell 2005FPW, simply because it's widescreen.

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I'm down to the last two Dells also, so you might want to check out this thread, to see if any of it applies to you.

5. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I would also recommend you go for one of the Dell's (eg. the widescreen 2005FPW)-especially because of the pricing and quality, as Raven VII said.

6. amholl macrumors 6502

dell? quality? what?
    ok, my old dell monitor lasted 2 months instead of the 1 week my tower lasted.

7. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It seems like most Mac users have loved their Dell monitors. I've read many reviews saying that it was comparable to the Apple 20 inch and half the price. From what I've read and seen, Dell makes a solid monitor, that looks great (Screen wise), but lacks the physical appearance of a Apple.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

my school has the secound one (i think so based on picture) there great they move up and down when you press a button in the back and can move side to side nice screens and the usb on the side go for the 2nd

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The Samsung seems more catered to Mac users... the monitor shows OS X. ;)

10. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

Is it true that Dell uses Samsung's monitor technology? I heard somewhere how the Apple cinema displays are Samsung's in an Apple casing. Is that true with Dell also?

11. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

From what I've heard, the dell and ACD contain the same panels, which are manufactured by Samsung.

Also, I must say that I love my 2005fpw! Go for it!

12. AstroManLuca macrumors member

From what I've heard, Apple and Dell and all the other companies that don't manufactur the actual panel change vendors quite often. That's why some cinema displays look better than others. Maybe some of them were by one manufacturer and others were from another one. It could also explain why many 23" Cinema displays exhibit the pink color tinting problem.

13. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

How about this one...

I´m not into the specs, but I have heard, that EIZO has some great displays.
    L778

-tymmz

14. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

I must say, I think that's the route I'm leaning towards. The Samsung is sharp but being in such a budget crunch (I shouldn't even be looking at 20" monitors in the first place, they are just so much better than 19s for my line of work, more more real estate) that with the discounts and coupons out for Dell, I really can't pass it up!

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wish you years of successful us of which ever monitor that you decide to purchase, The important thing is that you are happy.

16. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Go with the Dells... they are inexpensive and high quality. Cheap because of Dell's amazing supply chain efficiency.

17. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Make sure you look around for coupons - I saw the 2005FPW and 2001FP down to $502 shipped on the Dell site last week.

18. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I'll be looking for as I will most likely be making this purchase sometime next week. I hope I can find such a great special again... :cool: