Ok heres the Plan, for my PBG4 15, help me out (New-Updated)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rschapel, Mar 30, 2004.

  1. rschapel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2004
    #1
    This is an update of an older post

    Well I decided to bite the bullet today and buy either a new updated PB as some had rumored/hoped would be released today, or buy a refurb of the current model. Well it turns out that the new model hasn't been released and currently apple doesn't have any refurb 15" PB with super drive up on their site. :rolleyes: Looks like I'll be waiting till next week, as I can't bring myself to pay top dollar for 6-7 month old technology, no matter if it will do the "job" or not. Come on apple bring out those new models, or at least get me a refurb ready to go!!! I can justfiy the older model becuase I'll be getting "deal" on it, being a refrub and all. I know you want my money apple! :D

    --Randy
     
  2. Zaty macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #2
    You made the right decision. It would be foolish to buy a new PB right now unless you desperately need one. But be aware that you could be waiting 6- 8 weeks until you can get hold of an updated PB (3-4 weeks until the new PBs are announced plus another few weeks for shipping.)
     
  3. wPod macrumors 68000

    wPod

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2003
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #3
    that, or if new ones come out you can get the old stock of the current modle for a discount. . . i got my 12" pb that way when the 1ghz came out. so a good unused machine at a really good price
     
  4. rschapel thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2004
    #4
    Yea, I am still kinda hoping in the back of my mind they come out with the new machines soon. I don't need one in the next week or even in the next month. But I would really like to have it, as I want to start using it, and to save money at the same time, who could beat a refurb unit. I am ok either way, though the poweruser in me is leaning toward the new releases, and the penny pincher is saying hay, you could save money and have it now... I'll be getting a new one in two years, so I can live with the slight speed hit. Come on Apple one or the other... If I do get one though, I am ok with waiting the 3-4 weeks it takes to get it though, once it ordered my agony or looking at rumors will be over. (This has been a grueling couple of months, but looking around its nice to know I am not the only one!)


    --Randy
     
  5. discoforce macrumors 6502a

    discoforce

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2004
    Location:
    Vermont, USA
    #5
    Hey rschapel,

    I'm in the same boat and made the same decision on update or refurb for this week. However, since my local reseller has refurbs instock I'm heading over there today (Smalldog Electronics if you're interested). Checking the apple store, they've got the refurb 15 PB in stock too (at least right at this second...)

    I've been agonizing over this decision for weeks now, and after reading many many posts I realized that everyone who waited seemed miserable and those who took the plunge were getting to play with their new toys... er professional computers now.

    I could wait for an upgrade, but I don't need the higher specs and the cheaper prices are available (finally!) with the refurbs. If you're happy waiting then by all means that's always the way to go with computers. But I, for one, was ready to start using mine :D

    Oh, and the best part? Either way you're gonna have the coolest laptop on the planet! :cool: So relax and enjoy!
     
  6. rschapel thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2004
    #6
    discoforce

    Thank you, Thank You Thank You... =) I have placed my order for a Refurb and apple care. Ahh... funny I feel a little better. I now am getting a refurb unit, so new ones will come out before I actually get it.(which I bet, will be next tuesday). But I am actually ok with that, while my wife and I agreed that I could buy a laptop (ahh budgets), I feel better not getting the top of the line/brand new one. For $2372.28 I think I got a pretty good deal. I figure even if they come out with brand new ones, the chances on them being cheaper than the current model are about 0 -> -1.5 . :D I just doubt if my current bag will handle the new form factor. :p I guess I'll be spending some of that money on a new bag!


    --Randy
     
  7. discoforce macrumors 6502a

    discoforce

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2004
    Location:
    Vermont, USA
    #7
    You're welcome =)

    I can't take credit for the advice though, I'm merely passing on the best bits I've picked up from other threads. Want to know the next piece of advice we need to follow? Stop reading macrumors for PB update speculation for at least two months!! :)

    Randy, it's absolutely guaranteed now! Since I'm happily typing away on my refurb for the first time right now, I think I can safely say that updates are imminent!

    But you know what? I couldn't be happier. I've been playing with iLife all afternoon and now that it's dark - the backlit keyboard is much cooler than I could have imagined!

    You'll feel even better when you've got it in your hot little hands! As excited as I've been to have this PB for the past couple months - I had no idea how fun it would be to start using it!

    Once again: Same boat. My PB fits in my bag, but only outside of the protective sleeve... ::roleseyes:: However, I've noticed that there are many good suggestions for PB bags in these forums. What a cool community!

    Congrats on jumping in, and I can join the throngs of PB owners now who can tell you, you'll be very pleased!

    - Jesse
     
  8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

    mrgreen4242

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    #8
    I'm getting frustrated w/ the Apple refurb store... I was going to get a 1ghz 15" PB when my tax return came in, and then they ran out... so I started looking at the 14" iBooks... then the 15"'s were back in the refurb store... now they are gone again! AHH! Hopefully mid next week when my return should be deposited in my account they will be available. Or better yet, they will release a new revision next Tuesday and I can get one of those, or one a new old-stock model for a heavy discount!

    Ah well, how's everyone elses PB search going?

    Rob
     

Share This Page