Ok, I am announcing my CANDIDACY

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Backtothemac, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I have had enough of the same old same old in Washington. Let me say first off, that I cannot win in 08. We all know that, but maybe, just maybe waves can be made, and if anything attention can be brought to the power of the internet. I really want to do this. I am calling on all of you here to help me form a platform that we can all can stand by. Not all agree with, but stand by. I have learned from you all, and yes, I have said things to rattle cages, but from here out. You will get the real BTTM.

So, that being said, I want your help. I will field policy questions, and take advice from you all. We have 3 years to get ready for this next election. Rower, I would like your help in securing web space, and designing a website for my campaign, and I am going to need people to help work on the campaign.

Any support?

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I'm in. I'd like to help you hammer out policy. I've come up with some good approaches that got wide support when I proposed them here from both sides on the hot button stuff like guns.

I can help you out with spin too. The Lexicon is really funky so choice of words can be as crucial as what those words say.

3. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Agreed. But, I can say this. I want to try to avoid spin. If I get called out on something. So be it. I will say, yes, that is right. You are right. And if they other guy won't be honest, then I will say "can you not be man enought to tell the truth? My grandfather told me when I was young that you are only as good as your word."

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i volunteer to donate web hosting, until that time it gets too big. let's say, 100mb space and 5 gig/mo transfer?

std. hosting stuff included, like MySQL, email server, phpBB, etc.

5. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ok, now you are the man! All we need is Rower to get on board with design, but I don't know if he has time. Mr. A is real good with Flash too, and could also be a help with everything. We need to have a group iChat chat at some point and hammer over policy.

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hmm what are requirements for candidacy ?

at least it would be funny to be on the same voting card ;)

7. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Natural born citizen of the United States
    35 Years old
    No fellony convictions or arrests

Am I forgetting anything?

8. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I agree wholeheartedly. I use "spin" in it's original context: It matters what you say but it matters more how you say it. You can be as honest and forthright as you like but the political lexicon will bite you in the ass if you don't get used to being fluently innoffensive and convincing.

I think there's a lot of potential in your grass-roots style. It just needs a little fertilizer and a mow. ;)

You can be absolutely candid and yet still require some ********ting to get your point across. ;)

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

If you want to keep any supernatural critters in the mix they can be eligible if born British before 1750.

10. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I agree with you, if anything we may take Alabama ;)

11. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I'm from birmingham, i'll vote for you. :)

12. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

One down, and what, about 49 million to go :p

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Depends on if you're talking about the country or just Alabama. To win Alabama you only need about 2,243,254 more using the completely incorrect assumption that everyone can and will vote. I'm guessing that another million or so should be enough to carry the state given voting age, people who actually will vote and the division within the two main paries.

Edit: can't spell

14. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

True, but Alabama would actually be tough to carry I think. Republicans always win the presidency here in Alabama. This is going to be a lot of fun!

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

That reminds me... How many "straight party ticket" states are there these days? That one could present us with a problem considering the coalition style ticket we're constructing.

16. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Unless you campaign as an extreme liberal, you coulc probably win the state. We have elected Democratic governors before. I think that alot of people would vote simply because you were running and are from alabama.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Keep in mind that we are talking about 4 years from now. If Bush gets elected again I think you may have a shot at your home state.

1. I don't think Bush will improve that much in the next term so it might cause a shift in the leanings of many states.

2. With Cheyney as V.P. there is not a clear GOP candidate for 2008 (Giuliani maybe but he will have been out of the spotlight for 6 years).

3. It's your home state, you'd probably be viewed as an outsider in any other state. I think your best shot at carrying any state is Alabama.

4. I myself am really starting to tire of the two main parties. With an effective campaign (like Perot's with a slightly more sane man at the helm) I think there is a possibility of swaying enough people to actually carry a candidates home state.

18. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

If you have the requisite accent you'll have an endearing quality that can carry more sophisticated language to even the most jaded of farmland republicans. Carter and Clinton proved that quite effectively. Nothing like a cozy drawl to soften elloquence enough to sell it to those who would otherwise find it intimidating.

19. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, if we create a party, then we could get the party name on the ballot for a straight vote. Would be very tough though.

Vector, I think you are right about Alabama.

atszyman I think you are very right about your statement, and that is why I am doing this.

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Some excellent points. Gotta nail California too... too many electoral votes to ignore. I can definitely help you there. There's a particular policy and language line that can be walked to appeal to both sides while drawing in the undecideds. The major parties rarely use this linguistic middle ground effectively because they are too caught up in lobbing broadsides at each other.

21. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I would not say that I have a drawl, but, you can tell that I am from the South. I would say that I have a neutral speaking voice, but effective. I can be very persuasive when heard.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

23. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

You can proof all of my speaches :)

24. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I'd honestly rather avoid creating a Party.... once you have an official group with an official stance on the issues you get sycophants being unofficial zealots. better to be the "meta-party" with an openly obvious mix of parties or have all of us re-register "undeclared". This leaves room to tweak our official stances as better information is gathered on the issues at hand. This would be most effective in BLOG format so the evolution can be tracked easily.