Ok,I have a question about the iMac....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snakelda, Oct 15, 2006.

1. snakelda macrumors 6502

I'm going to buy the 17" iMac but I have a problem....how come it doesn't show the big box that PC's have?I forgot what it's called.....is all the components it need is in the screen?I also have another question....when I do buy it,does it come with a free burning program or do I have to buy one?Thanks!

Edit:Also,does iTunes open quickly like WMP opens up in Windows XP?iTunes is cool but it opens like 10 seconds after WMP does...and I was reading that not all programs work for the Mac.......I have some programs and can you tell me if they would work on the iMac?
    1.PSPVideo9
    2.Videora
    3.Guild Wars
    4.I try opening up AVI or WMV files on iTunes and they won't play...does that also mean they won't play on the iMac iTunes?

lol,sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure my stuff is compatible before I lay down 1,200 dollars....

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The iMac is an all-in-one form factor (and the word you were looking for was tower). There is no tower for the iMac. Instead, you have a thicker-than-normal monitor, and behind the LCD are all the components.

Burning is built in to OSX, but you'll probably want more features than what OSX gives you. For that, you'll have to buy a separate program. Most of us like Toast.

3. andcraig macrumors regular

For most AVI files you can download the Divx codec for quicktime http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

And for WMV's you can use Flip4Mac which is available from Microsoft's website. It won't play the newest, DRM'd files, but it can play less recent WMV files.

Guild Wars I don't think has an OSX patch or anything, but! you're getting an intel mac so you can dualboot windows and play there!

PSPVideo9 and Videora don't exist for OSX, but there are equivalent video encoders.For encoding i'd suggest you check out:
    Handbrake, FFMPEGX, and Isquint

4. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

vlc will play most format files. I think it will play wmv.

5. snakelda thread starter macrumors 6502

I meant like a program that let's you rip the DVD like DVDDecrypter or DVDShrink.....

Thanks!I'll get downloading soon so I can have them ready when it does arrive.

I used to have it but I didn't really like it but if it works well on Mac's and is Mac compatible,then I'll be glad to get it again

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

well then in your original post you should have said ripping program, not burning program. :rolleyes: :p

7. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

does it take you THAT long to download to where you have to download it now to have it ready for your computer...man glad I have a fast connection.

8. snakelda thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah,my bad....:eek: ,do you know any?

sadly....yes

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

MacTheRipper is the most popular, I'd say. I've only used it once or twice, though, because I don't do DVD ripping on my mac (I let my fiance do it on his PC, because macs take ridiculously long to rip and compress.. since they can't do it simultaneously as far as I've seen).

10. snakelda thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks you!!!It seems like everything was answered in like an hour!Thanks!

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, it does. It just does not play all the ones that require WMP10 on Windows (certain codecs and DRM).

As far as ripping goes... two more recommendations:

Instant Handbrake for ripping DVDs with an emphasis on putting them on iTunes and using them with an iPod. iSquint for converting all other videos to the iTunes/iPod format.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member