OK - I need a whack with the clue-by-four

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by micsaund, Jul 11, 2004.

1. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I'm ready to install X11 support on my new PB15 and from what I've read on the Apple site for X11, it's already included with Panther on the discs.

So, while I could certainly waste the bandwidth and download the installer from Apple, I would be interested to learn how one is supposed to install stuff from the "Software Install and Restore" discs that are included with the machine? I tried doing the "install" routine where I had to boot from the DVD, but that wanted to delete my OS or do a complete install. I didn't see any way to simply "update what's installed" (maybe I'm thinking too Windows-y). The only "installer" that runs without the reboot is for the Classic environment.

Thus, here I am, presenting my Windows-thinking head for a smack with the clue-by-four to learn how to add/remove components from the OS itself. ;)

Thanks,
    Mike

2. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

Look in the Disc

Rather than perform a complete reinstallationl from the disc, simply insert the disc - the second one I believe - as you would any DVD. Open up the disc. In the Search pane, select "Selection" and type in "x11". In a few seconds the X11 installer package should appear. If it does not, try the first disc.

If you have a broadband connection, downloading from apple.com shouldn't take too long (i.e., a few minutes maximum).

Just out of curiosity, what X11 programs do you want to use? I only have one installed, Chimera, and I'm interested about what else is out there.

Mike LaRiviere

3. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I use it for Ethereal (http://www.ethereal.com/)....for work, not for fun.

4. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

Yeah, I considered that, but if I don't learn the "proper" way to do things on a Mac, I'll never expand my abilities beyond the low-level "grab it and compile it myself" mentality that I already have ;)

Nothing at the moment, but I have 2 FreeBSD servers and a Linux server in my house (in addition to the Winbloze machines) and I work on Linux/Solaris for my job, so I do frequently desire to run X based apps.

Thanks,
    Mike