OK, I need help, BIGTIME!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Ok,
    Im going to college next year in the fall 2005. I will be needing a new computer and I have been going back and fourth between laptop and desktop. If I were to buy a computer right now I would get the powermac b/c the notebook isnt enough power eventhough portability would be nice for school. Anyway, the compusa near me will be putting the old floor model displays on sale and I like them better than the new displays anyway. So I was thinking of buying it in a month or two before they get sold out then getting the latest powermac in may b4 school starts. The only problem is right after xmas the powerbook G5 will probally be out. Basically, I dont want to buy the moniter now and be stuck with having to buy a desktop If I like the new G5 powerbook. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do? :confused: Thanks! :)

2. Cordless_Drill macrumors regular

Cordless_Drill

I support your decision to get into Apple computers, but I don't understand your approach.

No, I would not buy a monitor now and wait until later to hook it to something. You might save $150 on the front end (ie savings over a new model) but without a box to drive it, the monitor is useless.

In your position, I'd wait until May and reconsider. If you just gotta have something now, buy one of those dirt-cheap iBook G4/800s from Small Dog at $750. That gets you familiar with OSX and how the thing works.

You could sell it for around $500 in May, then you're on your way to something new and bad ass.

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Rob 587,

Please let us know what you need the computer for, as we can give you better advice. While the Powerbooks are not as quick as PowerMac's, they are quick machines. Professionals use them in the music and video production world. If you are going to college, portability is going to be important to you. It will not be easy lugging a PowerMac to lectures or the library.

If the main reason for a quick machine is games, then I suggest a console may be the best bet. Don't get me wrong there are some great games for mac, but the range is limited compared to other formats and you generally have to wait six months after the PC/console version.

As Cordless_drill says an ibook would be an ideal machine for college. For iTunes, Web Browsing, Documents and Spreadsheets, this machine is a good first start.

4. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

if you need it now, buy it now...

...if you need it later, buy it when you need it.

and you can always plug the display into the Powerbook and use it as your main screen while at your desk... nice that is :)

vSpacken

5. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

WOW....thats exactly why I post here.... U guys give great advice! I think I will do what you guys say and wait till may, but for now Ill buy a cheap powerbook and get used to it. In may I will probally end up buying the desktop cuz I really need something that will replace my current desktop and remain upgradable for years to come. Thanks alot!

P.S. Would I really be able to get 500$ in may if I bought a powerbook now for 750$?

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

You could try searching eBay for situations like this, find a PowerBook with (almost) the same specs as yours, and that will be a pretty good measurement as to how much you will get. (depending on when you sell it)

But I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 450-500$ is right.

7. Cordless_Drill macrumors regular

Cordless_Drill

What I suggested was for you to buy an iBook G4/800 for around $750 now, just to get acquainted with Panther and the world of Apple in general. That iBook absolutely is not capable of any serious gaming, but it's still a nice machine for simple stuff.

Yes, you'll be able to recoup at least $400 of that in May -- probably more like $500 -- provided you take care of the computer and don't spill beer on it. I would suggest that route. It allows you to wait out the G5 laps for a while and wait for the 2GHz/GHz deskies to come down into a more consumer price range ... ie $1,600.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide...

8. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Thanks alot cordless for your help. I guess Im gonna look for the fastest powerbook or ibook that I can find for under like 1000$(give or take a little). Must have 512mb(prefferably 1xsodim)(actually I guess if I could get a bigger screen I would deffinatly sacrifice some of the ram) and 1Ghtz processor and the rest I dont really care about. Would anyone be able to help me find any good deals?