Ok im buying a mac Pro for HD editing what do you all think

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by me262, Mar 17, 2007.

1. me262 macrumors newbie

I posted a while ago about choosing a powermac for Hd editing. After hereing what you all had to say i desided to wait. I just got a client who is paying me enough to perchase basicly whatever i want, so here is what i have thought of building and give me your feed back
    Bran new mac pro 2.66Ghz
    -1 Gb of Ram
    -X1900Xt
    -160Gb HD

Ok then for add on, that im buying from new egg because its cheaper
    -4 Gb (2x2Gb) Wintech(i believe thats how it is spelled) Ram-This isnt the mac aproved one but a few revewers on the 2Gb version have said that it works fine and there have been no bad reports

-4 500Gb Seagate ES model drive- I thoughtt it was worth getting the server class drives.

Finaly for a Monitor
    -2 Dell 2407 Displays- sorry i would have gone apple but i cant justify the 300 dollar primium for only style. Anyway the one thing Dell kind of does right is there monitires+i neede the inputs for the macbook pro and the mini. Also the 3 year warenty over the 1 was a plus

Ok now i have a few questions as well. My plan with the drives is to scrap the 160 thats in the macpro and raid the 4 500gb drives into a raid 0 array. However i have heard mixed results on getting the macpro to boot form a raid array. Also what do i do to raid them do i put the mac os Install disk in and choose all four drives and click a button that says raid 0 or is it a bit more complicated(please exsplain this ina bit of detail). Any sujestions. Meaning dont worry about it, or just leave the 160 as a boot drive and raid 3 of them. I would like to know from people who have done it.

Also according to reviews ive read there are 2 unused sata connectores in the macpro (if this is true) is it possible just to open up one of the pc slots and run two sata cables to an exsternal enclosure and add another 2 drives into my raid. Also is it possible that if i didnt raid the two exsternal drives, that if i edjected one of the exsternal disks on the desk top that i could swap it. Kind of like a hot swapable drive.

The next thing i would like to know is what is your opinion of the ram i have chosen http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820161178 It seems to be fine and i dont mind a little more fan noise. I just really dont want to spend 100 dollars more.

Finaly to clarify i am shooting 1080i HDV footage and editing it. is this machine up to the task and how many hours of video will i be able to fit comfortabley on it befor i worry about running out of space. (i plan to capture in apple intermidiate codec however if it doesnt pose any real benifits i would prefer to save space) please give me an idea because i need to make these perchases within a few weeks and i value the your opinions

also please exscuse my spelling errors
    Thank you

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Can You Wait For The 8 Core or Not?

Your MacRumors Profile is empty. Where are you? What's your time frame? If you can' t wait for the 8 core, buy a 2.66GHz refurb not a new one for $2199. They are like new and often come with bonus stuff like more RAM and bigger HDs. They have the same warranty as new. If there's any way you can wait for the 8 core do.

3. me262 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry ill fix that, Im in the northeast of the united states, Im had of a start up that im naming innovative productions, When is the 8 core coming out, i havnt heard anthing about it. Also im will proably go for referbished

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Why not boot from the 160 and let apps live there and use the RAID as the video sandbox and storage area?

5. me262 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Why use RAID 0?

I would pair the 4 500s into two RAID 1s.

7. me262 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because i need the the 2Tb or 1.5Tb (depending weather or not somone can tell me if i can raid all 4 internal drives) as a storage pool for my HDV video content. Also i want the speed boost that raid 0 offers. Plus im probably going to build a homade linux server to back up the data on this system with a few months

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Raid Unnecessary. Links To 8 Core Mac Pro Threads

You won't need a raid for HDV work.

But NAB Press Event April 15. You should wait to see what happens there. Do you have FCP 4/4.5 or a PPC part of Studio - even an upgrade? Upgrade to FCS 5.1UB for $199 Postmark deadline is Monday.

Here are the two primary 8 core threads. You haven't heard about it because you haven't been hanging out here.

8-core Mac Pro Hints at Apple UK 473 Posts

8-Core Mac Pro In January? Displays Too? 413 posts

Spend the rest of the weekend reading those posts and you will get up to speed. And use the links to the outside articles as well. For long term you will be much happier with the 8 core if your sponsor will pay the additional money for you to get it instead. Should be about $5,000 loaded. My GUESS is base will be $3499. Others think more or less.

That's a lot of money to spend 4 weeks before everything changes. You are well advised to spend NO MONEY until after the April 15 Event. Are you going to NAB? I can get you an Apple Event invite if you are. Anyone else going to NAB PM me for the Apple Event invite.

9. dbater macrumors member

dbater

What to buy

If you need the power... wait... if not purchase what Multimedia suggested I would also buy a good spell checker with that computer.:D

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'd avoid the Dell displays. They're fine for most stuff, but artists/video editors should definitely look at getting them. They aren't just the same as the Dells in a shiny skin, they are actually very good displays internally.

Dell = 6 bit p/colour depth
    ACD = 8 bit p/colour depth

And you definitely CAN notice the difference. Because Dell only run their displays in 6 bit mode, the measured response time is much faster than the 8 bit ACD. However, in real life, motion will seem much smoother on the ACD.

Also, the automatic brightness feature in the ACDs will hugely increase your workrate, if you aren't having to constantly adjust the brightness, you'd be surprised.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Why would you deal with NewEgg, rather than Data Memory Systems at $538 or $558 with the Apple Approved heatsinks?

Call both companies, ask a question about MacPros. See what responses you get.

Don't do RAID 0. Are you seriously going to have individual files greater than 500 Gb? Or do you think the incoming data stream will outrun the ability of one SATA drive?

You'll get better performance and less risk by keeping the drives separate.

12. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Honestly, if you are on a deadline, and simply must start working soon, then rather than buy, why not see if you can't rent what you need? You may be able to save a lot that way - until either you finished the project or Apple has come out with way faster and better MPs.

On another note: it pays to not believe in sacred cows. Everybody and their brother would tell you the received wisdom: RAID your drives for editing. Well, guess what - like a lot of conventional wisdom, it was not backed up by objective solid studies. Recent studies have actually shown RAID arrays to be no more reliable - and in fact less reliable than non-RAIDed drives. Google around for that stuff (there were two recent studies: one done by Google based on their millions of drives, and one by some woman researcher whose name I forgot, both very recent). Bottom line: there really is no reason to RAID.

Apple is coming out with a lot of new stuff soon. New hardware: MPs but also maybe new displays, at which point your Dell choices might be in play again. Leopard. And possibly FCP 6 with massively expanded support for HD. A lot of things to come in the next 2-3 months. If you can wait, wait. If not, consider spending as little as you can right now (maybe even renting, as I suggested). Good luck!

13. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hello,

this is from
    Mike Curtis who runs HD for Indies (www.hdforindies.com), a consultancy and Web site focused on finding the most cost-effective tools for high-quality, high-definition content production, with an emphasis on HD cameras, workflow, and hardware/software recommendations. He started HD for Indies after a 15-year career in digital content production.

I do hope posting it here is ok

14. me262 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can wait 2-3 weeks for sure. Thats not a big deal. Do ou think final cut pro 6 willbe out as well.(i already have 5.1)