ok, I'm dumb. What's an Airport Extreme Base station for and why do I need it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by California, Oct 3, 2005.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I bought an iBook recently that came with a once used Airport Extreme Base station, in the box. I'm staring at it right now, as I am happily online with my local DSL company, whose switching station lies about a quarter of a mile away from my office, so I get really good DSL most of the time without paying for the fastest speed rate.

Now why do I need this Airport E base station? I'm already wireless here. And what exactly does the base station do for me that my local provider box doesn't do?

Thanks...

2. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

AE base station = wifi router. that's basically it.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Indeed. If you don't already have a wireless connection to your DSL modem, which it sounds like you do (one of those all-in-one models, I'm guessing?), then you could plug your wired-only DSL modem into that base station and get a wireless hotspot going that way. That's all there is to it.

You can also plug a USB printer into it to make it available wirelessly, if you had a reason to do so.

4. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Oh, now that's an idea. You mean, if I plug the usb printer into the Airport E, it'll be wireless? Or do I need a printer that has some wireless capability? (It is a new HP all in one.)

Just trying to figure out if I should sell the Airport E or keep it --

it's taking up space on my bookshelf...!

5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

If u had a printer that had wireless capability, you would know bcuz it would be a BLUE TOOTH printer....(not sure if u have BLUE TOOTH in your iBook...)...so NO...you just plug in the printer usb cable into the back of the station, and VIOLA!! Print wirelessly from your bed, bathroom, etc. etc.

P.S. and some1 correct me if i wrong, CANT HE add the airport station to his router now, and expand his wifi signal????

6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i believe it has to do with the router he has. how flexible it is or better said, if the software/firmware allows him to expand (=strengthen) his wifi signal. without information, what his router is etc. the question cannot be answered.

7. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Exactly... just plug in the DSL to the ethernet, the printer into the USB, and the power cable into the power thing. Open the software and follow the easy steps.

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is likely the best way to do it, as I'm not sure if you'll be able to integrate the Airport Base Station into your existing wireless network--not something I've ever tried. You do want to make sure to turn off your existing wireless network if at all possible (so you're *only* using the wired output of the DSL modem, and the only wired network is from the Airport), since otherwise you'd end up with two overlapping networks--confusing at minimum, and the signals could interfere with each other at worst.

Ought to be pretty easy to get running, though, and you'd then have a wirelessly accessable printer. Theoretically works with any Mac-compatible USB printer, though I haven't tried it myself.