ok its new computer time and im looking for some advice...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rock6079, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. rock6079 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #1
    alrgiht my iMac fp 700 is nearing 2 years or so, my birthday is comming up and im just about ready to get a new computer. the question is wht do i get ? ive been relatively happy with my imac, and im excited to see what the new imac g5s will b like come next month. some people have told me though not to buy a g5, and that i should instead buy a g4, bc the g5s have a lot of problems right now and some incompatibilites, example, vpc (which i could probably live without.) . so my first questions is how do u guys feel about the g5s? and what if ne r the problems. incompatibilites.

    there is no way i could get an emac so thats out of the question, and my first apple comp was one of those black powerbooks, which was good, but im enjoying the power of the desktop as compared to the versatility of a laptop right now ( plus cmon, imac is one of the few computers anyone could actually 'enjoy' looking at)

    anywase im curios to see what u guys recommend. pretty much my options r

    g5 w/ new display
    g5 imac (depending on what its liek when it coems out, but im sure it will be awsome)
    highest-end g4.


    one other thing is that if i wait for that imac which i am interested in getting, i would probably have to wait a really long time (considering announcments and when they actually ship), furthermore i probabably wouldnt wnat to get the first version of the g5 imacs i usually liek to get the second updates to a certain line of products where a lot of problems get fixed which would mean even more time to wait.

    so once again some commetns and what u guys thinkg i should do would b helpful thanks
     
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #2
    If you can get a G5, then get one. What type of G5 are you talking about when you say "g5 w/ new display"?
     
  3. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2004
    Location:
    Long Island, New York
    #3
    Forget the iMac G4..if you are gonna spend the money you might as well have some fairly new technology to show for it..plus you will earn some jealousy from me if you get an iMac G5 :p
     
  4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2004
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    I personally would say get something that you know works well and won't be full of bugs and possible give you some difficult/annoying problems. I'd say go with a G4. Others disagree with me, but thats personally what i would do.
     
  5. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

    sorryiwasdreami

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2004
    Location:
    way out in the sticks
    #5
    If it were me, I would wait for the G5 iMac. They are supposedly shipping in September, only a month and a third away. If you wait for rev. b iMac G5, you could be looking at a half year or more wait.

    If you have to have it now, get the Powerbook 15" with superdrive. It's going to be a long time until they revise powerbooks, I feel.
     
  6. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

    MacFan26

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco, California
    #6
    I'd say wait for the G5 iMac too, it's not that far away, and at least then if the new iMac isn't something you want, you can go with the PowerMac. I wouldn't get the PowerMac G4 unless for some reason you really needed the ability to start up in 9, otherwise, I don't think it's worth it. Just spend the extra to get an up to date machine.
     
  7. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

    Sabbath

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London
    #7
    I think it sounds like the iMac G5 would suit you, yes there may be some issues with it being rev. a but you need a new computer now(ish) and so you have to go rev. a if you're going iMac. The new imac is bound to be insanely great and I'm sure Apple will fix any problems that do crop up. You should be able to get one pretty quickly as it has been said they will ship in September and Apple tends to meet ship dates even if just for very few people. Just watch the rumours and when you see the Apple store go down be ready to order as soon as they appear.
     
  8. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

    Joeytpg

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    Location:
    Vienna, Austria
    #8
    why don't you get a powermac g5?.....the 1.8 of the dual 2.0 with apple display.......if you don't have enough money to buy the new displays..then get an old one........they're pretty as hell.....i love em!
     
  9. rock6079 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #9
    money is not really an issue

    when i say g5 i mean a powermac g5 with a new aluminum display

    or

    g5 imac

    or

    a high end powermac g4 (not an imac, not worth it to update from this 700 to what a 1. or 1.25 i think ?)

    anywase i think i will wait for the release of g5 imacs at least b4 i make n e desicions. but i still dont htink i will get a rev a either way
     
  10. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2003
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    Wait to find out what the new iMacs are, then get a dual G5 with new display. How can the iMac be better than those??
     
  11. mpopkin macrumors 6502

    mpopkin

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    #11
    Hey
    That crap about G5 incompatibilities is exactly that..crap. VPC 7 is about to come out in september with full G5 support and everything else works great(cept for classic but who needs classic anymore) in terms of what to get, i would go with a imac g5 if you are looking for affordability, if you are looking for mobility, powerbook g4 1.5 15 inch. Looking for power with a price, go with the g5 dual 1.8 w/ a 20nch cinema display. In terms of IMAC G5 rev a or b, just go with A. I got the first g5 dual 2 when it came out and i had a problem, not a big one like on the rev a al pbooks, but apple was quick to fix it and very helpful, their quality has gone up, this generation of pbooks has had few problems and is running great. Apple has taken its time with the new imac and has had plenty of time because of itself and ibm to fix any heating problems, etc, so Rev A. Should be great with few problems, i would go with this if i were you, you will be waiting a long.long time before you see rev. b g5 imac's because we all know(guesstimate) that macworld san fran in january is going to probably be 1) showcase for a 3g g5 2) intro for pbook g5 3) they wont have time or effort to dedicate to updating the imac so the earliest would prob be march/april and knowing apple it could slip until may/june.



     
  12. jsw Moderator emeritus

    jsw

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Andover, MA
    #12
    I agree with mpopkin except I'd recommend to stay away from the dual 1.8 and go for the dual 2.0 because the dual 1.8 - the new one, not the old one - is limited compared to the other two in the lineup.

    I also agree about Rev A's - my dual-2.0 G5 was brought home by me in September of last year, making it one of the first ones. I've had zero problems. And AppleCare will take care of any issues anyway.

    Go with the G5 iMac if you're looking for a nice packaged look. I'm sure it'll be even more beautiful than the current ones.
     
  13. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

    MacFan26

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco, California
    #13
    The iMac won't be better than the PowerMacs, at least, that wouldn't make sense. I think it's just the "cool new product factor" that could be the reason to buy one versus the PowerMac.
     
  14. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

    Sabbath

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London
    #14
    Ok if money is not an issue I change my mind :D

    Just get the powermac, there is no way the iMac will be better and you can get a 23" or 30" to go with the powermac (I doubt there will be a 23" version of the new iMac). As for which powermac and which screen if you can't afford to go all out, I would go for the 23" and go down a model of PM if you have to.
     
  15. dieselg4 macrumors regular

    dieselg4

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2003
    Location:
    Rockin' Pittsburgh!
    #15
    you almost certainly won't have to drop $1299 on a screen either.
     
  16. rock6079 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #16
    true

    i guess ill wait at least till the imacs come out then decide..


    dammit, my setup here is sooooo good i almost dont even want a new computer
     
  17. Mac2004 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2004
    #17
    PowerMac advice.....

    If you get a Powermac dual 1.8 G5 make sure you get the older one (rev A model). The older 1.8 was much better than the new 1.8. I bought a new PowerMac G5 1.8 (dual) for only $2049.00 at the Apple Store. That computer used to go for $2500.
     
  18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #18
    I know what I wouldn't do: get a rev A iMac G5. They're switching design, casing, and processor on this new iMac, so there could easily be heating or screen hinge reliability issues (or whatever they use) in a rev A. I'd get a G5 PM, but possibly with a cheaper, non-Apple LCD. If money really isn't an issue, get a nice, big Apple display. ;)
     

Share This Page