OK, I've waited this long...PB 17"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Philinator, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Mar 25, 2003
    Dallas/Fort Worth Texas
    I ordered the 17" PowerBook at the end of January. I had been waiting on purchasing a laptop until they had a superdrive, and then when I was about to jump on the 15" TiBook, they released the 17". I said, "what the heck. I was going to spend that much anyway. I'll just get the 17". I'm a video producer, so screen acreage is important to me.

    Here's the deal. I have a PowerMac that I work on also, so its not like I'm losing work by not having the laptop. It would just be more of a convenience for me, i.e. allow me to work at home, on trips, in spare time on other gigs, etc.
    So now I'm concerned. I still haven't received the 17, don't know when I will (I ordered from a reseller.) I personally subscribe to the philosophy that if you keep waiting for the next best thing, you'll be waiting for a long time.

    That being said, should I wait for the next big thing? Are we just a few months from the 970? And will the performance difference be significant enough that I'll be kicking myself? If we were 6 months from a speed bump, no big deal. But if I've frittered away 3 months from the upgrade cycle waiting for a computer, and we're only 3 months from the upgrade, I wouldn't mind waiting an additional 3 months (plus the month wait for shipping again.) I've made it this long after all.

  2. macrumors regular


    Oct 10, 2002
    If you need a laptop, get the 17 inch. The 970 won't be ready for the lap top this year even if it goes into the tower mid year.

    If the choice is between either a laptop and the 970, whatever its form...

    hard call. If we can trust the rumors with 100% accuracy, then wait, but be prepared to wait longer if the rumors are inaccurate.

    As a laptop, the 17 inch has changed my life. For the better.
  3. macrumors newbie

    Nov 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    FYI, I was in the Glendale Apple store yesterday and tolfd they had one 17" PB left in stock. (Said they originally got about 20.)

    Interesting that the Apple store has them "in stock" while the early orderers are still waiting.

  4. macrumors 68040


    Nov 5, 2002
    haveu checked the applestores in the area? Perhpas u can cancel yoru ordernd pcik one up or put yourself on a list thats ooner than the orignal ship date. I wouldn't want to wait any longer for my PB either but i'm also nto sure on the upgrade cycle with all the time it took to ship. apple might have the 6month policy based on time avialbe to ocnsumer . So maybe you wouldn't se a pbook update till end of summer or mid summer rather than early summer. Just osmething to think about. I can't wait for all the thread. "apple finally shipped my powerbook... but then they updated them a month later "

Share This Page