Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Dynamyk said:
Can I use the notebook while charging or do i plug it in and leave it?

Yes you can! It'll still charge as you're using it. It charges faster when not in use, say overnight. But you can definitely still use it.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2003
I'm assuming you got the new ibook that just got upgraded?
I got one too but mine has not arrived yet at the shop. I was hoping for today but I guess not -- maybe tomorrow.
Which browsers come on it? Is it safari?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Just remember to charge it to 100%, then unplug it, and use it until it sleeps.

Mmm... new iBook day.. Yum!

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
katie ta achoo said:
Just remember to charge it to 100%, then unplug it, and use it until it sleeps.

Mmm... new iBook day.. Yum!

Soooo True, the iBooks are like the energizer bunny. They go and go, expect 2.5-4.5 hours of use depending on what you are doing.

illegal amigo

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2005
My iBook is still in China right now, but when it comes in...

I'll want to charge it to 100% and then use the battery until 0% (ad infinitum)? Is it unhealthy to leave it plugged in for too long? I've read the Apple battery page and want to make sure I don't eff my brand new $1200 machine.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
DeSnousa said:
Soooo True, the iBooks are like the energizer bunny. They go and go, expect 2.5-4.5 hours of use depending on what you are doing.
This is great!!! as I have never had a laptop with a battery before! I had a used PB G3 w/ no battery, bought one, didn't work very well at all.. wouldn't start up from it and stuff... ugh..

But I bought my BIGGEST expense tuesday! It's the iBook G4 w/ 80GB HDD in my sig...
I'm only 13! :eek: :D :p

illegal amigo

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2005

I'll want to charge it to 100% and then use the battery until 0% (ad infinitum)? Is it unhealthy to leave it plugged in for too long? I've read the Apple battery page and want to make sure I don't eff my brand new $1200 machine.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
illegal amigo said:

leaving it plugged in it fine. i'm pretty sure that once it is charged leaving it plugged in only powers your computer, it isn't charging as you run off the battery if you get what i mean.

too many charge cycles is what will eff your computer. that's what happened to my powerbook but then apple were nice enough to give me a new battery :)

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
illegal amigo said:
It's a good idea to charge it up 100% before you start using it. That's what you should do with anything that has a rechargeable battery. After the power plug ring goes from orange to green, then start using it for the first time.

As far as using the battery all the way to 0%, that's only good to do once every month or two. To cycle the battery, use it all the way from 100% down to 0% to where it puts itself to sleep. Then plug it in (leaving it asleep) and let it charge all the way back to 100% (all the while not waking it up or turning it off).

People will respond by saying they started using their iBook right away after getting it out of its box, but it's still better to let the battery charge all the way (without using it) when you first get it.

edit: if you don't believe me, read the first sentence after the heading "Your New Notebook." - http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
How are people expected to read what is on the apple website unless they use their computer first. The instruction manual doesn't mention calibrating the battery until page 16 after telling you how to start the computer and get online. It advises callibrating the battery sometime during the first week. Have I followed a set of incorrect instructions?

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
Ive used my Powerbook for 2.5 years now. Battery is always in the machine, and it is nearly always plugged in. It has lost some juice, but if you do an occasional charge-up and drain cycle it fixes itself. After 2.5 years, I still get 2 hours of battery out of it.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless your a person who really likes to worry about things, in which case I give you full permission to worry!

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
Worried? Me?

I'm worried about invalidating the warranty, but as I 've followed the instructions that came with the computer I expect I'll be ok. Apart from that, it's explosions, fires and new battery expenses in that order.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
lilstewart92 said:
This is great!!! as I have never had a laptop with a battery before! I had a used PB G3 w/ no battery, bought one, didn't work very well at all.. wouldn't start up from it and stuff... ugh..

But I bought my BIGGEST expense tuesday! It's the iBook G4 w/ 80GB HDD in my sig...
I'm only 13! :eek: :D :p

You area very lucky 13 year old. When you mention bought, does that mean that you earned to money for the purchase? Your parents must be very proud. no reason to be embarrassed. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.