Ok... new graphics card, is it better?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hcuar, Feb 17, 2006.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Ok... I purchased MovieCutter's Radeon 9800XT 256MB graphics card. I'm upgrading from the 9600XT 128MB. I have it installed and I played a little UT2004. I'm not sure I saw a huge difference in performance.

What would be a good test to make me feel like I made a good upgrade choice? Aka: What would show me how much faster my machine is now?

Thanks.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Check barefeats for some benchmarks here...the 9800XT is of course better, but it depends what you're doing....

Or you could always get yourself a PC 6800GT and flash it like I did (link in sig)...I'll bet it would fly with that. :D

3. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

I was thinking more about program wise. Will things render faster? (video) It seems like things scroll faster? Is that possible?

The only thing I dislike about it so far... I went from a silent 9600xt (no fan) to a GC with a fan.

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

I think for games you should see quite a diff ;)

But for video? Nwahh... :eek:

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

For Motion YES! I noticed a considerable performance advantage from the stock 9600XT to my X800XT in Motion.

Before i would apply a filter wait for a while as the wheel of death span and pray that it wouldnt crash...

As soon as the X800XT went in, I dont see the wheel of death anywhere near as often and can run with a shed load of more layers compared to previously.

Only thing that changed was the GFX card.

So for some application you will see a good differnce..

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb