OK, No. 1 request dealt with... what next?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Blue Velvet, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

So they've addressed gapless playback in iTunes leaving a ton of people happy. What would you like to see addressed next?

Me? I desperately want Autofill with downsampling rolled out to all iPods, not just Shuffles. Sick of having two libraries, one for home and the other for the iPod. If I could keep my lossless library intact and have them downsampled for the iPod at a choice of bitrates, I'd be very happy.

2. grizzlybrice macrumors regular

grizzlybrice

Now that I see they have an album search mode, they NEED to get per album ratings in there. Gotta!

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Normally people ask for silly things like radio tuners and the like. But your suggestion is one of the best ideas I've heard since gapless playback!!

I want it!!!!

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I imagine that wouldn't be too hard to do... all it needs to do is work out the average ratings of songs on the album, and make that the album rating.

Blue Velvet's suggestion would be great; i want music on the computer a different rate than for my iPod, but I don't wanna have 2 libraries.

Other than that, the only other think it could do is make me coffees in the morning. iTunes is a great app, and it has been since the start.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I want to choose how to transcode files from inside the library, without a trip to the preferences to change the settings first.

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

This would be fantastic. It'd probably take AGES syncing your iPod initially but after that, it shouldn't be too bad. It'd be nice if you had options...128 AAC, 256 AAC, MP3 etc.

Take heed, Apple. This would be a very cool feature. :cool:

7. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Since it's already there as an option for the Shuffle, would it be that difficult to extend to all iPods?

I also like iMeowbot's suggestion as well.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

A better database: The ability to add several artist to one track and be able to have that appear when you browse that specific artist. Would be great for duets an such...

Also the ability to merge tracks, so if you have the exact same (version of a) song, lets say from the original CD, a Best Of compilation and a Various Artists compilation, you coul (manually) merge the three tracks, and be able to browse and play them (as part of all the albums they are on) but still just have one physical file (and one rating, playcount, etc.)

9. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

That's not how I'd rate an album. For example, each song may not be that great. However, when put in a specific, flowing order that makes some sense progression-wise, you would end up with a better album that just "the sum of its parts".

Maybe they could just use the average-method for the albums already in your library before this feature comes in, or you could change it if you want. And every album after that you can set individually.

10. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Like a shortcut?

11. iGary Guest

iGary

I want to be able to sync my iPod between my PM and my PB just like I do with .Mac (reaed: not over .Mac).

I want to be able to plug in my iPod to my PB on a long trip, or into my PM and have purchased and my own music sync through seamlessly. Changes on one computer through iTunes go through to the next.

*stupid record labels*

12. Rhema macrumors member

Why no radio tuner?

So..why doesn't Apple add a radio tuner to the Ipod? It wont be something that will revolutionize the Ipod, but it would be a cool feature. If i'm sitting in some random place listening to my Ipod and I'm tired of listening to what's in my library, it'd be awesome just to switch over to radio tuner. It doesn't seem that this would be so terribly hard to do, and it would just add one extra option to an already great product.

but mabye its just me, i'm all about having as many options as possible and have as much of an all-in-one device as possible. If I could listen to my Ipod, and then switch over to some talk radio, that'd be great.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There is a Radio tuner for the iPod, it's the Radio Remote.

I don't want a radio tuner in my iPod - that's why I bought an iPod in the first place. Podcasts have completely replaced radio for me.

14. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

This is probably more in the realms of fantasy, similar to Blue Velvet's suggestion, I'd like it to shrink videos when they go to my iPod. I have two video libraries - the compressed iTunes one which is only good for watching on my iPod, and a full size one which is just in a folder and not associated with iTunes.

I guess it couldn't be done until we have 30GHz 20core chips though considering the time it takes iSquint to shrink them.

Or I guess a dual library idea but where iTunes would auto play hi quality on my mac but would sync the small copy to the iPod. Or something.

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I dont have two libraries but i use an applescript to down sample "on the fly" to my iPod. It takes a long time to put new music on there but once it is i just leave it there. However this solution was used due to lack of harddrive space but since i@ve upgraded my 80gb to 300 i might employ the two library method.

I have suggested this addition to apple a long time ago, it just needs more people to tell apple. Thats how gapless playback got in, lots and lots of people tell apple.

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Probably not... it's not that easy, since all two, three or more songs also would have to regarded as one and the same by iTunes library, even if "belonging" to different albums, but still use the same physical file...

Remember, playcount, rating, etc is stored in the iTunes Library file, not the actual music file...

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I thought there was something like this in the new iTunes, that you can use it to copy your library between two authorised Macs. I haven't tried yet, so I could be wrong - and perhaps it only works for content bought through iTMS.

This, to me, is the #1 (or #2) most wanted feature for iTunes/iPod. Apple doesn't offer the ability to re-download your music if it gets lost, but they have the perfect device - the iPod - for manually backing up your purchased music onto another Mac, yet they've prevented you doing so.

18. Rhema macrumors member

Yeah, thats true, i'm just not pro having to have attachments, because then things get lost, or forgot, etc. I do agree podcasts are great. I know there are a lot of radio stations that do podcasting also, but I just like listening to live radio.

Im just a fan of radio, but I only like talk shows and stations that play more "underground" or lesser known music.

19. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

In the webcast from yesterday Steve indicated that it was for media purchased from the iTMS, which likely explains why both computers have to be authorized on the same account. I agree that it would make sense to do the same transfer for non-protected content as well.

20. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Thanks. I can understand why they don't do it for unprotected content, though it's a pity. Especially when you consider piracy via iPod must be a very small fish in the piracy scene in comparison to P2P filesharing.

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

And all this time, I thought you were just holding out for an 80GB HD iPod. :p

22. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Not after I just dropped a 60gb hard drive into my 4th gen two days ago... it's now up and running again with about 7gb to spare albeit with a slightly scratched and dented case. :eek:

That'll keep me going for another year or so. Maybe prices on the new ones will have dropped by then or there'll be a 100gb model on the horizon...

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

24. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Apple should improve the Sound Check feature so modern rock tracks (which are heavily compressed) don't sound much quieter than stuff from the mid-90's and 80's.

iVolume handles it well, but leaves ugly comments in the tag field. Perhaps Apple should buy their intellectual property and incorporate the algorithm into iTunes. I wouldn't necessarily mind the longer time spent analyzing the sound volume of music files if it means I don't get jolted when an errant loud track plays after having adjusted the volume higher for a quieter track.

25. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

What I think would be really cool is having play counts for more things like adding the play count up of each song in an album, total # of songs played by an artist, and total play count for your whole library. It might be just me, but I like checking out random stats like that when I'm bored or something.