Ok, Ok, What's going on Here?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacManiac1224, Dec 17, 2001.

1. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

We have all been discussing MWSF like crazy, let's break down what's going on and figure this out. Steve Jobs came out last week and changed the date of his keynote, and also extended it to 2 ½ hours, so that must not mean one thing that?s really big, but most likely a couple. I mean, are you going to talk about a new LCD based iMac for 2 hours? Ok, so we most likely will see a new iMac, but what about the G5? Not sure, I have read basically everything to read about the G5, and there is not concrete evidence when it is coming out. Personally, I don't think it is coming out. My reasoning is: even though they might have it, the operating system has to be upgraded to 64-bit so the g5 can operate properly, and I don?t see any OS updates in the pipeline. Unless OS 10.1.2 is going to be that upgrade. Maybe a boost in iBook speeds, and Powerbook speeds, but I don?t think so. So this leaves: new Software, or new server type hardware. Possible New things at MWSF:
    iMovie 3
    AppleWorks 7.0
    -----------
    new digital device, maybe Apple branded Cameras
    New Rackmount Servers
    New Displays:
    15- $499
    17-$699
    19-$999
    22-$1699
    ------------
    What do you guys think?

2. Classic macrumors regular

iPod 2?

Maybe an iPod 2? Or atleast the remote for the iPod that seems to have been planned, but not included in the original release.?

3. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

how about an announcement of iPod support for PC? Just a thought.

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

oh yeah, and how about Quicktime 5 for OS X? I still can't understand how/why it hasn't been released yet. I mean, they're both developed by the same company, so logic would dictate that QT 5 would be supported on OS X.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: iPod 2?

I am not sure what it cost, but I'm sure the iPod cost Apple enough money that they wouldn't be revising it a month after it's debut. Now a remote control of some sorts would be an idea. But does it have infrared anywhere on it? I haven't seen one yet in person to know.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

why not qt 5 support on os x?

a possible reason why is that it is a difficult and massive program and because it's free doesn't mean that it's an easy task

but programmers, correct me if i am wrong

internet explorer may be huge like windows or office but microsoft used this browser program to kill netscape so microsft would get a handle on this internet thing

along with windows, microsoft used internet explorer to dominate the IT field and it was another reason to go for windows because of the bundled web browser in the operating system

the free internet explorer experiment may be the thing which finally bites microsoft in the butt because it is clearly the most illegal and aggresive move ever made by that company

remeber the context of this activity by microsoft right in the time of the inception of the internet in a big commercial way to the masses

imagine if you were boeing and you wanted to enter the toaster and microwave oven market and you decided to make a billion units and give them away for free thus killing the toaster and microwave oven manufacturers

bill gates going out and giving internet explorer for free knowing that there was a major company called netscape selling their browser for $29.95 USD is a clear criminal act and the most brought up topic when microsoft and monopolistic activity is mentioned

7. joey j macrumors regular

>My reasoning is: even though they might have it, the operating system has
    to be upgraded to 64-bit so the g5 can operate properly,

The G5 supports 32-bit addressing. Regardless, in any case only Mach would
    have to be ported, the servers on top and everything else (darwin and os x
    userland, libs, quartz etc) would require only a recompile (this assumes
    that Apple will use a 64-bit G5, which they may not)

> So this leaves: new Software, or new server type hardware.

... you forgot the possibility of Apollo G4s in the Pro line (assuming the
    G5 doesn't make it).

> Possible New things at MWSF:
    >iMovie 3
    >AppleWorks 7.0

*yawn* BORING. Give us some hardware...

>new digital device, maybe Apple branded Cameras

Ever so slightly more exciting. If Apple releases a camera at some point,
    perhaps it would coincide with their rumoured iPhoto. In any case they
    would bundle some kickass software with it.

>New Rackmount Servers

Now we're getting somewhere. This is something I would really like to see.

8. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

QuickTime 5 on OS X

QuickTime 5 is on OS X!

It came out on OS X before it was released for OS 9.

9. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

perhaps i should have stated it in exact terms. QT 5.0.2 is not compatible with OS X.

"* Not yet compatible with Mac OS X"

That's what it says on the apple web site. Unfortunately you need the latest version of QT to view the trailers, etc., and it gets a bit tedious having to use classic all the time for doing something as simple as that.

10. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha