Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you buying apples new wireless AirPods?

• Total voters

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Doesn't say they aren't either, all it says that you need an iCloud account, macOS Sierra, iOS 10 and watchOS 3. All it says that the tests were concluded using an iPhone 7 but that in no way implies they're not compatible with earlier iPhones, provided they are running iOS 10.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
AirPods work with anything running iOS 10.
[doublepost=1474816710][/doublepost]

It was confirmed the day they were announced. Did you not bother to do any research?

No because i was more interested in the beats bluetooth earphones

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not, too expensive, only 5 hours of play time, high risk of losing them. I'll keep using my trusty old pair headphones

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

batristain

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Richmond,VA
I went ahead and bit the bullet and got my first pair of wireless headphones - the Bowers & Wilkins P5s. I had gone back and forth looking at Sennheiser's Momentum 2's and the Bose Q35s but what won me over with the P5s was the LACK of noise cancellation. If gives me a head ache. I have a nice pricy pair of Bose NC headphones that I never wear because of the discomfort.

For the past few years I've been using my trusty Bose Triport headphones - they have the best sound quality and they have held up for nearly a decade with daily use.

I still think I will get the air pods but to use for conf calls. I don't think they would come close to being a main headset for me to listen to music while at home but on the go or to use for conf calls would work. I just ordered my hubby an iPhone 7 (he's still using a 5S) so I will definitely get him some air pods for Christmas - he would be more likely to use them as his main headphones for youtube videos and such (He's not a serious audiophile). I figure if they launch end of October I should be able to score some in time for the Christmas holiday. :)

CHeers,
B

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
The point is that Jaybirds aren't a very equal comparison to airpods and other truly wireless headphones because they have that wire between them. Sure there are comparisons that can be made between truly wireless headphones and regular BT headphones, but it doesn't really make much sense to do so. Sure the airpods could be misplaced more easily because there is no wire tethering them to each other, but the whole point of their design is to not have that wire between the earpieces. If that is a concern for someone then they really shouldn't consider buying them. It'd be like badmouthing a convertible car because you can't haul a family of 6 in it.
Yep. Also the wires on powerbeats or jaybirds tug at the earbuds and pull them out from my experience.

Another benefit of no wires means its more discreet. When I have jaybirds or beat solo on its screaming to everyone that I'm listening to something. With airpods even with the mini cigarettes coming out, it's still more discreet then something with a wire slung across my neck.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
I already have a pair of BeoPlay Bluetooth headphones so I won't get the Airpods. Also, even though I have a $400 pair of headphones, I feel like they are too expensive. Unless, of course, they have vastly better sound quality than the regular Earpods.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
The big reason I'm considering them is because I can wear just one at a time. I can't really wear headphones at work, but some people wear one earbud in. I've tried it but it's awkward having the cords hanging down and getting in the way. AirPods seem like a perfect solution.

Reactions: MDePew24

j0han

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Sweden
The big reason I'm considering them is because I can wear just one at a time. I can't really wear headphones at work, but some people wear one earbud in. I've tried it but it's awkward having the cords hanging down and getting in the way. AirPods seem like a perfect solution.

I think it was mentioned in the press review 2 weeks ago. You can use it with 1 ear, you do not have to have both in your ears to get it to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDePew24

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I'm not, too expensive, only 5 hours of play time, high risk of losing them. I'll keep using my trusty old pair headphones

Not to mention... no waterproof... and i still quess that on winter time they will work like 20min and then off... but lets see :) and no, not going to buy toothbrushes for my ears.

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
I have the LG Tone HBS910. They were great at first but after 3 months. I'm starting to have trouble with the right earpiece. It goes in and out daily. Sometimes it won't work at all. So I'm considering trying the AirPods. Even though I thought they were hideous at first look but I'm a power Bluetooth user. For my line of work a Bluetooth headset is a must. My only concern with the AirPods are them not being water or sweat resistant. I have seen no info on Apples's website. So I will make my final decision on preorder day.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Not to mention... no waterproof... and i still quess that on winter time they will work like 20min and then off... but lets see :) and no, not going to buy toothbrushes for my ears.

Waterproof will be nice but does Bluetooth works in water though? I know there's some that claimed to be waterproof but did anyone actually test those (and how well it performs)?

Gzalito

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Any hint on the actual release date? There´s a MB event scheduled for Monday 26th, do you think they will sell right away or preorder delivering Friday 30th? Like the ATV 4th.

Just1n12

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Any hint on the actual release date? There´s a MB event scheduled for Monday 26th, do you think they will sell right away or preorder delivering Friday 30th? Like the ATV 4th.
The 26th is a Wednesday so maybe they'll do a iPhone/ Apple Watch thing and start pre orders on Friday morning of that week?

KatieMiller

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
Oregon, USA
Sorry to hijack the thread.. but... after reading about Earhoox on here I immediately went to Amazon and ordered a pair. I have really small ear holes (if that's what you call them? Lol) and ear buds have never stayed in my ears. Especially not apple ones! However I am completely sold on Earhoox now!!! I will definitely buy a pair of Ear Pods now because these make them stay so securely. My biggest fear, and turn off from Air Pods was losing them. Not anymore!!

Reactions: matrix07

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Sorry to hijack the thread.. but... after reading about Earhoox on here I immediately went to Amazon and ordered a pair. I have really small ear holes (if that's what you call them? Lol) and ear buds have never stayed in my ears. Especially not apple ones! However I am completely sold on Earhoox now!!! I will definitely buy a pair of Ear Pods now because these make them stay so securely. My biggest fear, and turn off from Air Pods was losing them. Not anymore!!

I have been an EarHoox user for a long time. The problem I see with using them on the Airpods is charging. You would have to take the EarHoox off in order to charge the Airpods. This would be very inconvenient and would most likely wear out the EarHoox prematurely.
I'm hoping that there will be third party chargers that resolve this.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
Was pretty excited about them until I found out there are other truly wireless earbuds. I'm not sure that the Airpods are even waterproof. Pre ordered the Jabra Elite Sport instead (will mainly use for trail running).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.