Ok, So Maybe I Don't HATE Microsoft....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Aug 29, 2003.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

For the longest time I've been pretty much Anti-Micosoft for lots of reasons, but mainly because their products suck and their licensing policies suck even more.

The other day, out of nowhere, my sisters bought me an XBOX and XBOX Live for my birthday. I didn't even ask for it. I was really surprised. Anyway, the point of this story is that I want to say how much this thing ROOOOOOLZ!!!!!

Did Microsoft actually get this thing right? This is my first gaming console since my Dreamcast and I have to say that I'm nothing but impressed with the whole thing.

A Microsoft product that's easy to configure? No outrageous licensing or pricing rules? No popups? I'm truly blown away. I'm sure this has been discussed b4 but I just had to say it. Never thought I'd utter these words but,

"GOOD JOB MICROSOFT!!!".

2. Independence macrumors regular

my older brother owned an xbox for about a week or so. his house recently got broken in to, though. the xbox was one of the items stolen.

just a few days ago, i tried out an xbox at k mart and thought it was a great system. i might get one someday.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm thinking of buying an Xbox just for Soul Calibur 2. SC1 on my Dreamcast still gets played on a regular basis.

Lethal

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Sure the XBox is the best gaming console now, at this moment.
    But when the PS3 comes out, that will be even better.... then the XBox 2 and so on.
    What's bothering me is their marketing strategy. M$ really want to own the gaming industry. They are using HUGE resources, making enormous losses, funded by the profits of other departments of M$. They are (mis)using the fact that they are so BIG a company (on the whole, which should have been split into 3), that they can afford such losses over a great amount of time. They are trying to drain all the others their resouces.....
    Even then, they are not capable of getting the F1 licenses.... a big deal in Europe.

Still, have fun with it!
    You'll never catch me buy one, ha ha!
    :D

5. Independence macrumors regular

the past belongs to nintendo.
    the present belongs to sony.
    the future belongs to microsoft.

you can probably tell i'm not a big fan of the gamecube.

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

If these three manufacturers could agree to one thing, I wish they could strike up box footprint standards like stereo components have, so that I can have all three in a single cabinet [easily].

7. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I have to say that the X-Box is a pretty good piece of equipment -- I would never have known but for the third Oddworld game being for X-Box only (a big coup over Play Station, I think).

Some points about X-Box that I thought were interesting:
    * MS sells it at a loss, so the MS employees who can buy a certain dollar amount of MS products at cost every year just buy it in stores -- it's cheaper there.
    * Someone a few months back (don't recall a thread about it) figured out how to boot an unaltered X-Box with a regular OS (linux?).

If the boot in linux thing were easier, I'd consider getting one to use as a PC...

...and play Oddworld!

8. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

The Playstation Oddworlds were superior to the X-Box version. Oddworld just isn't Oddworld unless you are a completely helpless alien trying to escape bizzare, angry aliens in a 2D environment.:D

I'd go for a PS2 over an X-Box, but X-Box does have some good games.

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: Ok, So Maybe I Don't HATE Microsoft....

It plays well--no doubt. But if you don't see outrageous licensing or pricing rules you're just not looking hard enough. It's definitely a Microsoft product.

10. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

X-Box = pure American Toy, PS2 still rules the WORLD, I must admit, some nice games from SEGA for the X-Box but, for varities of games... you can't go past PS2... beside, the real fact is X-Box is not doing well anywhere beside USA

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Ok, So Maybe I Don't HATE Microsoft....

umm, its still a a console, and you buy typical games for 50 dollars. microsoft charges for xbox live and its fine, because it isnt a lot of money and its by far the best option out there. xbox live has performed the best, especially over ps2's.just my opinion though.

iJon

12. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

found it funny that you mentioned dreamcast was your last system, which ran Windows CE as its OS.:D

13. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I agree but this was a present for my ex-, so you know, you buy what the person wants. (...then they conveniently break up with you before your b'day rolls around :rolleyes: )

I know what your point is, but can we really say it's doing well in the US when it's being sold at a loss?

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

tjwett = [​IMG]

The xBox isn't a bad console. Just watch out for mini-scratches on some of your DVD games. If you can't see it on the disk, and it's there, the xBox will go into freeze frame mode. :eek:

I've found that out from playing Tony Hawk 4 too much. :D

15. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

most of my friends have a X-Box with the infamous "linux-hack"... this actually means that they got a nice full-size Pee-Cee that is heavily subsidized by Microsoft!

if used that way, it actually is a really nice machine...

vSpacken

16. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

had no idea but thatnks for that little piece of info. very interesting indeed:)

17. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

that's funny:D. i'm just now hearing all these gaming terms, it's a whole new world for me. and for the record, i am definitely getting "pwned" out there in Unreal Championship. i keep waiting for my QuakeWorld 1 skills to come in handy:(

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

One of my friends has a PS2 and an Xbox. He says that the PS2 has crashed twice since he got it (he bought one of the first ones out), and his Xbox crashes about twice a day :eek:

You'll never see me buy a console though, I don't play too many games, and I don't like the concept of console-exclusive games. I see a console as an alternative for people who can't justify/don't want a full-featured computer. But console-exclusive games contradict that idea :(

19. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: Re: Re: Ok, So Maybe I Don't HATE Microsoft....

$50 a year for something you can do for free on PS2 or a PC. Okay, you pay your $50 and it still wants a credit card when you sign up so that it can charge you automatically next year when your subscription runs out. No option about this, it's what you have to do. Want to play a DVD? Pay $30 more for that. They're selling you functions that you already own! Then there's the EULA, which is a really interesting read--but nobody ever reads those. In spite of owning this piece of hardware, you can't legally alter it in any way. So you "own" it but you don't own it.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well I do like their mice. Using one right now.

Maybe they should stick to hardware. :D

21. Xero macrumors 6502

i couldnt imagine playing unreal or any FPS against other people on a console. keyboard and mouse is way superior in that genre of games. man i PC people could join servers with Xbox people in the same game, the PC ppl would totally trash everyone else

22. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Blah blah blah... sure when xbox 2 comes out...
    PS3 will be an add-on to ps2. And it wouldn't come out till 2005.
    Don't hold your breath...

And lethalwolfe, if you want, i have a soul calibur 2 on sale right now at amazon for 42 bucks. Username : Rezet

23. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I'm a PlayStation 2 fan and never took Xbox seriously. But I've been going to local store once in a while to check out games and play little bit of Xbox games. I have to say I'm very impressed by it. The more I play Xbox games I get tempted to get one.

If Xbox keeps up current efforts, I think it might actually go head to head with PlayStation 2 in terms of market share in near future.

24. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

i second that! i'm really struggling over here. i've played UT, Quake, etc. on my Mac with my Wacom 3 button mouse and i used to fare pretty well. now i'm trying to play Unreal and Wolfenstein with a game pad/controller and i'm getting my ass handed to me. i simply cannot aim the freakin thing with my thumbs! i'd love to see them release a nice multibutton mouse and a small, maybe 6 key, mini keyboard for directional purposes. it could probably easily be switched between righty and lefty within the game. no question, FPS with a gamepad is definitely a no-no.

25. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

I think I'm going to buy another xbox (my other one broke down) just for Halo 2! Is no one excited about this game?