OK, so nothing at Tokyo?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by makkii, Feb 14, 2002.

1. makkii macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2001
    Yokohama Japan
    Everyone is talking about MWNY already. But MWTokyo is going to be held in a month, and thats 4 months before MWNY. Doesn't anyone have any information for Tokyo?
  2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    Probable iMovie 3

Possible iPod Upgrade (Does this count as HW?)

Likely OS10.2

Almost certainly DVD Studio Pro 2 or 1.5

maybe QT6 will be available?
  3. kishba macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2001
    i think apple will update a small revision to iphoto (maybe some new features), imovie 3 will appear and dvdsppro better appear.

i also think some of the "many" ideas steve mentioned will also be demo'd. this could be a new digital device or software and probably wont ship immediately. and then there's os x.2. i guess a demo is likely, but not a release. i don't think they would make people pay for an upgrade (for a 2nd major revision) so soon. they've release one major update already this year. i think the X b-day/anniversary will be the time to release the new os.

i also think they'll release new lcds, which will be just as versatile as the imac lcd and make me angry for having a 17" apple lcd right now.
  4. Sratner macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2001
    New LCD's At Tokyo

Curious, do you think there will be new LCD's at Tokyo, I'm in the market for one but maybe I'll wait, what is so versitile about the ones on the new imac? Are they better??
  5. kaneda macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2001
    Imac speed upgrade

I think Apple will speed up the imac, then maybe speed boost the towers at MW Tokyo. Then by Summer MWNY...I think they will roll out the G5, and Apple will be set for this year to gain some profit, and next year if Apple's gain some market share...then they will try to catch with Intel. It is do able thing for Apple.

yes, 10.2 will be rolling out too..:O) and ipod will get 10GB and still the same size as before, and still cost the same...and the 5Gb price will go lower...

And Steve Jobs will call my house..and offer me to be vice CEO for Apple...and I will get 1 dollar salary...and I will reply KMA...
  6. kidtronix macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    only hardware update possible is new screens and/or speedbump (alternatively smaller updates) to the powerbook, definetely no new powermacs and definetely no faster imacs, doesn't seem reasonable anything to happen with the ibook either. so that leaves, ipod (not too into it but whatever floats your boat). actually, i really don't believe in a powerbook update since the speech the other day from that chump at apple, but i can wish can't i?
  7. blakespot Administrator

Jun 4, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Re: Imac speed upgrade

The iMacs and the new G4 towers just came out!! There will be no speedbumps @ Tokyo!! Rumors are great, but let's keep an eye at least angled loosely towards reality!!

8. OSeXy! macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2002
    London (or virtually here)
    Re: New LCD's At Tokyo

They 'defy gravity'...

I agree. I think there might be new LCDs in Tokyo. Super Cinema (24"?), 19" and 17" low-end?
  9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Speed bumps

The most likely thinh will be a speed bump of the TiBook line. I think they will make it be 800mhz to 900mhz. The TiBook needs a speed upgrade.
  10. katchow macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2002
    Dayton, Ohio
    yeah , i think lcd screens w/ iMac swivels are probable...maybe not as soon as tokyo, or maybe so. I wonder how they will solve the balance issue. What kind of a base would they need to keep this thing from falling over?

i wish they would put freakin' new video chips in the iBooks, not mention, speed them up a bit. Its weird, Apple has all but admitted the G3 chip is not going to keep up with OSX...wish they'd phase it out....
  11. rustypixel macrumors newbie

Jan 7, 2002
    A new LCD would be sweet!

I, for one, will be keeping an eye out for a 19" LCD. The 17" is too small for me and the heavenly 22" Cinema Display is waaaaay out of my price range. Well, I could buy one, but then I could forget about the G5's whenever they come out. And I DON'T want to do that. ;)
  12. Jookbox macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2002
    for the swivel flat screen.. i could imagine a tripod type base, like on the old g3/4 apple trinitron crt's, but with that shiny metal bar sticking out.

you could attach a monitor as big as you want, as long as the tripod base is big/heavy enough. maybe they should put some metal in the base.

either way it will be so expensive that only millionaires and billionaires could afford it.
  13. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    that is an odd imagination you got there my friend.
  14. Sratner macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2001
    I wonder if they do come out with a 24 inch screen will they discontinue the 22inch... and then of course the new one will be like 4 grand.... hmm
  15. katchow macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2002
    Dayton, Ohio

i dont think a tripod would do it...unless it was seriously weighted. It would probably be fine for the most part (side to side movements), but i cant see being able to pull the screen toward you or lift the screen up with out the base being stuck to your desk or being pretty heavy.

just a thought...oh and if the tripod is as big as the ol' crt's (for stability) it would kinda defeat the purpose...

i know, i'm putting too much thought into this...
  16. Six macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    My Two Cents:

The only reason the iMacs swivel screen works is because the dome weighs it down.. I doubt that there would be a tripod section.

No speed bumps in the iMac... Are you crazy? People complained how the iMacs were infecting the turf of the towers, theres no way they'll do anything to them now, or they'd be at almost-tower-speeds again.

A new digital device would be nice, and it's quite possible... Im not quite sure what, but there are plenty of other people with guesses.

Upgrade in the TiBooks, maybe a little faster clock speed. No dual processors (that will never fit) and no super drive (way to big and way too expensive)

No iBook or tower bumps.

I'd like to see a 19 inch monitor, but I'm not sure... I do know that most people would like atleast a 17" monitor though...

iMovie 3? possibly. iPhoto 2? no, but maybe with a few bug fixes. Another update for OS X, likely.

Most of the time I think though will be spent demonstrating the new towers in head to head competitions with peecees in photoshop tests, since steve-o didnt get to do any at the last expo.

That's my opinion... don't hurt me. ;)
  17. dnelsongb macrumors member

Jan 14, 2002
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    After the New iMac Keynote...

Remember the Keynote address had with the new iMac, well a few things happened.

1. It was released a day earlier simply to be put into Time
    Magazine (what other computer gets the cover :)
    2. The scheduled time to introduce the iMac was unusually long.
    3. The entire keynote was 45 minutes shorter than actually
    4. Jobs was supposed to introduce something else Bigger, it was
    pulled because it was told that you dont go to Tokyo without
    something Huge to brag about.

Lets keep an eye to the East and see what happens - I think Apples strategy is gonna work if they keep this stuff up!
  18. Tekneek macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2002
    Re: After the New iMac Keynote...

I think the dual gigahertz PowerMacs were going to be introduced, but they were delayed because they contained the NVIDIA Geforce 4MX. NVIDIA didn't want to allow Apple to announce the Geforce 4 line that far ahead of NVIDIA's official announcement. I think the new PowerMacs would have been introduced first during the keynote, and the next big thing would have been the flat panel iMac.
  19. dnelsongb macrumors member

Jan 14, 2002
    Green Bay, Wisconsin

but what will apple release in Tokyo. Wait and See! I bet it will be big. I think apple just juiced up what inventory they had, brought prices down to get things out, to make room for whats in store. Apple is playing very good cards with a great hand and even better strategy. People are finally opening their eyes to Apple once and for all. They play a good game and everyone wins