Ok so now since the announcement of the early release of nehalem, I think I'll wait..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jul 27, 2008.

1. macrumors 603

I was going to go down to my local apple store today and pick up a 23" ACD along with a mac pro 2.8ghz model.

But now I'm thinking about just picking up a white macbook and wait until dec. or at most january for the nehalem.

It seems like Nehalem could be anywhere from 20%-50% faster.. you guys think its worth the 4-6 month wait??

And I know this is one of those thread things but man the mac pro + the cinema display is so expensive that this decision is so hard!! And I decided to go with the 23" acd since I've owned it before and I know I'll be more than satisfied with it.

2. macrumors 6502

wpc33

If you're willing to wait for a refreshed MP, then you should definitely stay away from the ACD. They are great, but very outdated for the price.

3. thread starter macrumors 603

Yea I agree, this is why I'm also thinking about waiting until January 09 to purchase a mac pro just incase they update the cinema display lineup with led backlighting. Then I could just order a nehalem mac pro + 23" ACD LED =D that would be freaking awesome.

4. macrumors 6502a

im waiting to buy i thought it might be jun till they update to nelh but we might hear some news.

i won#t have the cash till. sept anyway.

Buying 8 Core Mac Pro With 8800GT + 2 30inch Mointors. At The moment
    3008WFP But if displays are updated with HDCP+HDMI ill grab them instead.

5. macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

There won't be a MacPro update until January.

6. macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy a nehalm mac pro, with either 23" or 30", leaning towards the 30" but really want a faster response time as i do occasionally game. I don't care too much about hdmi nor inbuilt isight (i find the old isights or the agentv3 quite sexy) but cant understand why many people would also like want those features.

I figured ill buy the new mac pros with nehalm whenever they come out, and wait until jan 09 to get the monitor

7. macrumors 65816

Early Release?

What are you on, they have been due out in Q4 is Apple carry on with the Xeons, which they probably will, then it won't be until January at least.

8. macrumors G4

+1 on Jan '09. ;)
    Intel will release the Nehalem series (Gainestown for MP) before then, so the extra time may allow Apple to sort issues, including supply. :eek: :)

9. thread starter macrumors 603

Heh, doesnt matter to me anymore since I just got the mac pro today. I'm just going to wait and get whatever is new in 2011-2012! :D

10. macrumors G4

What?!? 3.5 years, that's it?
    What are you doing? Trying to solve the ultimate question of the universe?
    We already know the answer. 42 :D :p

11. thread starter macrumors 603

Were all going to die in 2012 anyway!! :eek::eek:

12. macrumors G4

Only if we leave the outcome of the world in the hands of politicians. :D :p
    Wait a minute... we are doomed! :eek: :cool:

13. macrumors 68040

Pressure

It's merely a paper-launch to thwart AMDs upcoming Deneb 45nm processor from looking any good. That is, it will most likely be announced as a technology preview for release in january.

Seriously...

14. macrumors newbie

Maybe everyone knows this already but this is what I could find on the net about nehalem and release dates:
    "As we are speaking, wafers are moving through the fabs in anticipation of shipping to customers for that November 12 launch," Otellini said. A second wave of releases, including mobile versions of the processor, will be released in the first quarter of 2008, while the Montevina platform for laptops, the successor to Santa Rosa, will appear midyear."
    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14510/1154/

So i think this is it, for sure no new MAC PRO this year. But it will be out right at the beginning of the next...

I hope this helps.

15. Roy
    macrumors 6502

Even though the article says "2008", would not "2009" be correct?

16. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

His article doesn't even MENTION Nehalem. The article is correct in that it's talking about Santa Rosa and Penryn...

Nehalem Mac Pros on the Tuesday before MacWorld 2009.

17. Roy
    macrumors 6502

Well, yes it does mention "Nehalem", but the article's writer keeps switching back and forth and it's somewhat hard to follow. I think the key is the article is dated: Wednesday, 19 September 2007.

18. thread starter macrumors 603

I'm happy with my purchase of the penryn mac pro its plenty fast and will last me for at least 3-4 years.

I'll just wait 4 years and just buy whatever is out then. :D

19. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If it's the machine in your sig you should have plenty of power...what are you using it for that you could use a Macbook for until December?

20. thread starter macrumors 603

I was going to just get a macbook and just do some light hd encoding until then but I guess I got the full power now! :p

21. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

So you use it for HD video encoding? The more power the better, I suppose.

22. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

Nehalem will see a "paper launch" in September, but product is not expected to ship until October and it now looks to be the single-CPU desktop product and not the multi-CPU workstation/server product as was originally planned.

So I'll likely be buying a current Mac Pro soon and then upgrade to Nehalem in 12-18 months. Snow Leopard is going to do wonders for the current Mac Pro, anyway, so...

23. thread starter macrumors 603

yea the only thing that I'm waiting for now is snow leopard.

24. macrumors member

So..., are you saying that we'll be waiting another year until the next Mac Pro upgrade? Seems like an awful long time between updates to the Pro line of Mac desktops.

25. Roy
    macrumors 6502

Not if the past has any relevance. The 2006 Mac Pro (1st Mac Pro) came out in August of 2006. The Early 2008 Mac Pro (Apple gave us the "Early" name) came out in January of 2008. 511 days according to my accounting. 500 plus days would put the next Mac Pro coming out in May or June 2009.