Ok this is weird...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by digital1, Jun 24, 2003.

1. digital1 macrumors 6502

digital1

Now we are all happy with Steve's presentation and things. G5 I mean what else can we ask for right! But I found this disturbing article. I am not taking sides here. I just found this article quite interesting. What you guys all think? Personally, Some of this is unfounded to me, and others kind of make sense. What do you all think?

http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?ArticleID=1296

2. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Personally, I think he is comparing the G5 to the wrong type of people that would be using the machine.

3. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

you guys can ignore this post if you want i just found another one that talks about it. LOL sorry guys! sorry arn!

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

It's always hard for the PC industry to swallow the fact that faster computers come out when compared to them. There are tons of these articles around. They're never going to go away :shrug:. I think the best thing people can do is just ignore them and actually try out the machines for themseleves, then people will be convinced.

BEN

5. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

OR just forget what everyone thinks, get your own hardware be happy, ignore PeeCee users. Dont worry be happy :)

6. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Personally I think Steve meant that the G5 is the first 64-bit processor that works. I don't know why PC users are hardheaded. Before the G5 came out I always agreed with others that PCs had the fastest Hardware (though noone had a PC that was faster than the fastest Mac). Now that the G5 came out I posted in a forum where there is like only 5 mac users stating that Apple finally has the fastest personal computer. Then I got bombarded with ppl saying how Intel is releasing the P4 3.2Ghz and then there was this one guy who said that he used a mac back in 7th grade (prolly OS7 or OS8) and says how he hated them. He claimed how he hated them crashing all the time. I didn't want the thread to become mac bashing but that is exactly what it became. Some ppl are stubborn. Why can't PC users accept that Apple is on top again? Noone ever has the fastest computer. New technologies come out all the time, and I doubt any of those ppl will rush out and buy a P4 3.2Ghz processor while the G5 will probably become backordered due to the requests. Sorry, this reply is due to people's stubornness and frankly it has gotten on my nerves.

7. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Yup I agree. I posted info on it and within the same day guy was like Macs arent the fastest anymore, or that the tests that Apple ran were rigged. (which is quite possible, but this is not the thread for that) The fact is, Apple has some of the best engineering,design, and concepts in the Computer Industry. When all you can say is my processor is faster than yours, thats not saying much. Its like saying, I have a Dodge Viper, and my Viper is faster than your Impreza(theoretically) but take em out on the quarter mile with a stock viper and an impreza super modified with intakes, turbos,NOS, and AWD then lets see who wins. Fact is, we live in a world of stubborn Dodge Vipers(PC's) and We are the lone Imprezas saying we can whoop your butt. No one believes us. Ahh well, I will just keep saving for my impreza. while the others can keep shining their Vipers. We'll let the quarter mile tell the story later. (Sorry guys if you liked Vipers, was just making a point, I actually like Vipers)

8. rebelberg21 macrumors newbie

Doesn't Prove Much..( LONG WINDED POST..)

This article doesn't prove much.

Just some AMD biased; MAC jealous guy trying to stir some new anti-MAC; PC's are better & cheaper propaganda...blah..blah...

Sure Apple's claims about being the first to have the first 64-bit desktop is questionable...but honestly...who cares....
    (who can afford an SGI machine, and who really has an Dual Opteron Box?, no one i know....and i know a few people...)

As far as performance goes....there is no reason why Adobe would be apart of the demonstration of the tremendous speed of the G5 if it wasn't true. I mean they've defitinitely shown their ability to push PC propagana recently (raising questions of the Adobe/Apple relationship). G5 seems to have secured the relationship for a long time.

As far as the Pixar dude in the G5 video, OK so I'm sure he could have been influenced a little ;) lol...BUT their Renderman software was Linux, and Windows only before, and they quickly showed the OSX version on the G5. Another promising sign.

Last but not least....PRICE....

A dual Dell Xeon minus Office software...and other specifics gets close.....between 3400- 4000

But the Dual Opteron which this article mentions.....I priced the Dual Opteron from BOXX....match the speed of the G5 (which you actually can't since the fastest opteron is 1.8GHZ), add a DVD-R/RW, and it's well over 4000.

To anti-MAC; PC People: KEEP LOOKING FOR BETTER COMPLAINTS....LIKE IT OR NOT THE IBM/APPLE TEAM HAS DONE IT...AND LET'S SEE WHO'LL BE PLAYING CATCH UP NOW...

sorry for the long post.....just my take on it... ;)

9. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

10. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

11. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

Re: 64-bit Chips

this is a typical case of a mixing jealousness and regret. he switched to PC, now a faster and cooler Mac is coming out. so he feels jealous, and he regreted his motion. yet he cannot say it, and he probable don't even know it himself.

what is that supposed to mean? apple is a follower? apple is the company with leading computer design and engineering. they also produce grade A software. why don't you say M$ us a follower on OS??

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

so here is the real questoin. where are the opteron spec scores to see if he is right or not.

iJon

13. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

14. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Does he know what opteron means? The guy has no real proof.

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

what do you mean, isnt it amd's server chip. anywayas, is it faster.

iJon

16. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

I was being sarcastic. LOL but yeah iJon, Opteron archictecutrally has some of the same abilities as the 970. Whether it is faster remains to be seen. a CISC/semi-RISC chip against a more pure RISC chip(although the 970 has some CISC qualities) so... we just have to wait i guess...