ok to leave ibook on and plugged in?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slipper, Dec 4, 2003.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    i mainly use my ibook as at my desk and was wondering if its ok to leave the ibook on and on sleep mode day in and day out with the power cord plugged in. or would it overcharge the battery and overheat?
  2. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2003
    The 909
    I leave my iBook (800MHz G3) on and plugged in almost always. It makes a good bit of noise when the fan kicks in, but other than that, it doesn't seem to have done it any harm.
  3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    My powerbook is attached to the wall sleeping most the time. It wont kill the battery, just remeber to completly drain the battery once every 2 weeks. You just want to give your battery a good workout so it doesn't go "stale".
  4. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    The battery actually decharges and charges while plugged in. When the battery drops below 95%, it recharges.
  5. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    but what about overheating and processor life? will leaving the computer in sleep mode overnight affect its longevity?
  6. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    Don't worry - it'll be fine

I have a 15" TiBook which is almost always plugged in and sitting on my iCurve. I have it set to sleep after 30 minutes and the monitor goes to sleep after 20 minutes. Also, I normally close my laptop after use making it go to sleep. It is perfectly fine to do this and it will cause no problems. When the computer goes to sleep there is no real activity so the fans turn off and the processor doesn't work. The battery automatically allows itself to fall below 95% before recharging so that you don't have any battery problems. Don't worry about leaving it asleep all the time.