ok WHAT IS RAID

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by I'mAMac, Aug 29, 2006.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Is RAID an acronym or something or is it a word differing from the raid: to pillage and burn?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

If you only typed "raid" into google or this site's search field, the answer would come easily.

3. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

• Redundant Array of Independent/Inexpensive Disks, or RAID, a system of multiple hard drives for sharing or replicating data.
    • Raid (insecticide), a consumer insecticide marketed by S.C. Johnson & Son.
    • Raid (military), a sudden attack behind an enemy's lines without the intention of holding ground. Raid originates in the Scots from of the word road.
    • Raid (police action), when police invade a building or area.
    • Raid (robbery), an organized group of robbers, usually with transportation.
    • Raid (game maneuver), a sudden invasion by an allied group in a real life game (such as capture the flag) or in a simulated game. Raid in the context of computer games can also mean an instanced or outdoor encounter with a powerful opponent requiring a "raid group" of twenty or more players to defeat.
    • Corporate raid, a type of hostile takeover in business
    • Rally racing, a form of automobile racing.
    • Recherche Assistance Intervention Dissuasion, a counter-terrorist unit of the French National Police
    • Raid Script[1], a scripting language for the NewsRaider software to scrape websites into TomeRaider files
    • "Raid," a song by Madvillain from his album Madvillainy

I'm guessing it's the first definition you're interested in:

Or Something.

4. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

5. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

RAID = having your computer treat two or more hard drives as one. Through a variety of different modes, this can provide greater performance or greater reliability.

6. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

7. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

thank you