OK, when is enough enough...?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, May 11, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The government is secretly collecting records of ordinary Americans' phone calls in an effort to build a database of every call made within the country, it was reported Thursday.

AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth telephone companies began turning over records of tens of millions of their customers' phone calls to the National Security Agency program shortly after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, said USA Today, citing anonymous sources it said had direct knowledge of the arrangement.

The program does not involve listening to or taping the calls. Instead it documents who talks to whom in personal and business calls, whether local or long distance, by tracking which numbers are called, the newspaper said.

The NSA and the Office of National Intelligence Director did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I dare say that's been going on a hell of a lot longer than the 5 years that article says.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The system of checks and balances is being ignored by our esteemed
    representatives.

Apparently this administration has managed to place themselves above the law in spite of the law and sadly no one has the guts to put it to a screeching halt.

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

My dad works for a phone company (not in the US mind you) and he always said "never say anything on the phone you wouldn't yell out your front door"

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The only real difference being, if you make a habit of yelling out your front door, you'll eventually be arrested for disturbing the peace.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

So it wouldn't be a good idea to say, "That Jefferson Airplane concert I saw last night in New York was da bomb!" on a phone call?

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh! Well! There's nothing to worry about:

Whew! For a minute there I was worried!!

Hey, wait a second...

Whatever happened to "We're only monitoring overseas calls"?

For that matter, whatever happened to the Fourth Amendment?

...From the same article:

That clunk! you just heard was Bush's approval rating dropping another couple of points.

I love that rant from Patrick Leahy. Give 'em hell, sir! Yeah, we've become Communist Russia, just with better technology. :mad:

Time for the you-know-what to really hit the fan.

Link

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Scary thing is my father, rest his soul, worked for these people for 35 years and my uncle was Deputy Director at one point...:eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This makes me sick, lets see, we are going to ignore millions of mexicans,arabs and whoever strolling in, yet we want to spy on every phone call U.S. citizens make? what the hell is going on in our country. There is only 1 solution and thats impeach this sorry president and vote out every single republican.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is this the straw that will break the 30% floor?

13. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

That would probably be flagged by the program but all flagged calls are then run through another set of instructions to determine the number calling and the number dialled. If either of those match it gets sent to an analyst to determine whether it's "interesting" or not. Some calls are sent direct for analysis, depending on pre-set criteria.
    All in the name of security.
    @ Blue Velvet - ECHELON, as your linked article implies, was used for analysis of member nations, i.e GCHQ would analyse US traffic, NSA would look at British traffic etc. Whether that still happens I've no idea, especially after recent revelations. I'm guessing the NSA took over domestic intercepts.
    All in the name of security.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If everyone here at Macrumors took a few moments to exercise their democratic rights and contacted Congress we could turn this around. If we all sit around like sheep then we deserve the royal screwing Bush & gang are giving our Country. Take a moment and let your representitives know how you feel. You will feel better also that at least you tried to have your voice heard.......here it is again...http://www.visi.com/juan/congress Its our country not the Neocons.

15. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning

i would predict yes.

Orwell is beginning to look like an optimist.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

So, based on this, do you guys think it's bad that I call a pay phone in downtown L.A. 5 times a day and say "Bomb. Car. Airplane. Guns. Assassinate." 15 times?

17. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

teeeeeeeeeeeeeeheheheeheh.

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I'll make sure to never say "Hi Jack" on the phone

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is the same Bush who said we were just recording foreign phone calls to al-Queda isnt it? He is a Liar, and he isnt a Christian by any stretch. He is a Military,Corporate puppet stealing our liberties,freedoms and values everyday. Destroying everything that made us what we were. Congress is letting him. Throw both out is the only answer for the American People. Get registered and vote people, contact your representatives.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Someone somewhere was pointing out that even a database of all the calls made by all Americans over the last five years wouldn't amount to 'the largest database in the world'. Many companies routinely employ larger databases.

What would push the governments database to 'the worlds largest' stature is if you attached an audio file to each of those phone call datums...

Computer nerds, what do you think?

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i agree. storing two phone numbers and a start and end time doesn't take up much space.

now, storing decades worth of every stock trade made, that'll add up.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

someone doesn't have his story straight. from a 2002 hayden statement:

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think we will find they are recording but that wont come out till after the next election. Trust nothing coming out of this administration. Nothing.

24. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Right. Not trolling or mining.

Just listening in. Like a good parent deciding who you should and shouldn't date.

Or where you can go. And with whom.

The scary thing is if the right follows through on a stategy of smearing the left in this upcoming election, and if anti-gay marriage ammendments turn out voters, nothing may change ...