Ok, who's getting a new iMac g5?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Winstonp, May 3, 2005.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I don't know about you all, but:

250GB instead of 160GB
    128MB 9600 instead of 64MB nvidia :(
    667mhz bus instead of 600mhz
    Tiger instead of Panther

makes me:

1. Wish I had waited 2 weeks

2. Jealious of anyone that plays games on the new iMac

2. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Top Spec Beastie

Me ... now get outta the way of the queue .. madman shopping here!!!!!!

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If I didn't already have a RevA 20", I'd be all over the RevB. Great deal.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Same here, if I didn't already have a 17" 1.8 my Mastercard would be on fire right now.

5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

If I hadn't just got this Powerbook, I'd probably be getting one. I love the portability, but damn, that's a lot of power for the price.

When I got my old 20" iMac G5 I paid £1700 for one with 1gb RAM and all the extras.

It's now £1300 for a 20" with 1gb RAM :eek:

Not only that, but it's got a much better video card - the FX5200 was fine for the 17" model for 2D stuff, but it was hopeless in games. (I don't usually play games on a computer, but wanted to play WoW) The 20" was even dropping frames in Exposé with only a few windows open. The 9600 is the perfect card for the iMac.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm picking one up tomorrow - i just hope the store has them in stock by the time I get there :D

D

7. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I think I will get a 17" 1.8G at one house and a 17" 2.0G at the other house. I can't wait. These will be my first apple desktops. :)

8. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

How much better is the Radeon 9600 vs the FX 5200 64mb?
    I am definately considering as i have a nice 10% off :)

9. Estic macrumors member

I'm getting one asap. Just have to sell my fully loaded 20inch iMac G5 first.

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

With any luck ,we'll have 3 of the 1.8GHz 17" and 1 of the 2GHz 20" on order before the day is out, plus extra RAM. Just waiting on our vendors to give us new quotes.

11. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Not to make you even more sad, but didn't you check the buyer's guide?

Edit: oh yeah, I have my eyes on the superdrive 17" model... But I can't order one, my credit card limit is only 500$CAD! :eek:

And the "local" (read: 1 hour drive, 2 hours total) stores won't have them for at least a week or two.

12. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

i'm gonna order the 20" with default options at the end of the week (ram can wait, 512 is plenty as my mini runs fine with the same amount)

i was about to order a 23" hd display for my mini but now the new imacs are out im definatly gonna buy one, only thing thats dissapointing is my 2 month old mini will be a bit left out.

on the up side, i ordered a bluetooth kb and mouse with my mini so i can use them on the imac and use the wired ones with the mini.

also how good are the speakers on the imac - should i put my soundsticks on the imac or mini?

13. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

As soon as I save up another 400 bucks im all over it. And here i was thinking i had unitl June for this update.

14. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

the 20'' speakers are clear. However, no base. :(

I use external speakers with a subwoofer.

I'm still proud of my rev A. It looks so hot, and gaming is moderate. But better that it was when I had my mac mini :)

15. BartoK macrumors newbie

I'm getting one as soon as my local store has them in stock! Been waiting 4 months for this!

Anybody heard from "your" Apple Store exactly when they will be in stock? I got "by the end of the week".

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hmm, much as I love being a husband and father and owning (ie. paying the bank for) my own house, we bought a new sofa two weeks ago (my thoughts as I signed the credit card slip: "there goes my Powerbook") and yesterday we found a leak under one of the bathrooms ("there goes the iBook or iMac") so I'm really envious of anyone who doesn't have to juggle responsibilities and can just go out and buy a new Mac when they want to. Not that I'd swap places ... but I can be envious.

17. aranhamo macrumors regular

GPU

According to my graphics guru friend, they're basically the same, except that the Radeon 9600 in the new iMacs has 128MB VRAM, which will make it perform significantly better. But the card itself is not much better. He says it's a fairly decent card for a consumer computer.

I ordered a 20" this morning. :D

18. sillysun22 macrumors newbie

I just spoke with someone at Apple Store - Keystone in Indianapolis, Indiana, and he said that it would probably be on Monday, May 9.

19. yvovandoorn macrumors regular

Have to call to my apple store and see when they will have 'em here.

20. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

when i called the CT stores they said either Thurs/Fri for the weekend rush. If nothing on Friday then definitly Monday.

21. noel4r macrumors 6502a

I think I'm gonna get the 17" 2.0 ghz model. I was gonna buy a mac mini in June w/ a recently bought a 20" LCD but this update changes the plan. How would a Dell 20" 2005fpw look beside the 17" w/ the screen spanning hack? I know a 20" iMac would be better but I cant afford it.

22. NevadaJack macrumors 6502

Shipping on or before 5/10/05

Just went to Processing Order on Status page. My 2.0GHz, 20" will ship "on or before May 10." Added the BT Mouse/Keyboard and AppleCare. I will add the 1GB stick of memory later. :D :D :D :D :D

23. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I'm hoping mine breaks and Frys has to replace the guts of it. They have a really good warranty when it comes to things like that.

Only problem is, the two iMacs I have had don't break that often. My original has only needed the CDRW replaced and everything else has worked fine.

I run my G5 24/7 and the CPU is always at 100% (according to my widget) and the fans don't even run all that hard anymore.

Oh well, still 4.5 years to go on the warranty. Maybe I'll get a Rev C, if it comes to that.

24. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Order is in

So I'll just jack it up with a Gig o'Ram© and I'll be singin like a maniac.... :D

25. noel4r macrumors 6502a

I think I'm gonna get the 17" 2.0 ghz model. I was gonna buy a mac mini in June w/ a recently bought a 20" LCD but this update changes the plan. How would a Dell 20" 2005fpw look beside the 17" w/ the screen spanning hack? I know a 20" iMac would be better but I cant afford it.