ok...

Discussion in 'Community' started by jlewis2k1, Jan 19, 2005.

1. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

now i have a bad felling this might get wasteland but i sort of need some help...

now let me remind you that im still a sad windows user

i can not get to microsoft.com nor can i get to google.com along with a few other sites. i doubt im going to get anywhere ... luckly i can get here. so my question is this ... does any have any suggestions or whatever on how to take care of this problem.

I am aware of that this is a mac place but i know that there are some windows users around this forum.

2. mpw Guest

Can't get to microsoft.com? Maybe they closed. You'd best get yourself an Apple or support gonna be a problem with a discontinued OS.

I think it's a sign of character that they knew when to just accept they were wrong and throw in the towel. Let's hear three cheers for microsoft.....

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Clear your browser cache, restart, and try again. If you still can't get to those sites, I'd say your ISP is having problems. Give them a call.

4. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

well after fighting with windows for about 2 or so hours i manage to find a few stupid dlls preventing me from accessinf certain sites. now i just need to find a way to prevent a specific folder from being created. -_- stupid windows.

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Sounds like virus/spyware issue. Some viruses edit your hosts file so you can't access Microsoft websites to download updates. I'd say it's time to backup and do a clean install (I find it easier than trying to sort out these issues).

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Ad-aware is pretty much mandatory on every Windows computer now, along with SpyBot.

*hugs PB* ;) :p

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    im so glad i dont have to wrestle with windows problems when im here at uni makes my life so much easier

8. angelneo macrumors 68000

Try downloading alternative browser like firefox or opera. If that does not work, the virus might have infected your hosts file. If that's the case, try editing C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\HOSTS

firefox: http://www.firefox.com
    opera: http://www.opera.com

EDIT: oops, just saw that you have fixed it.

9. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

You said it :p

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Format your HD, install linux and try with Firefox... :rolleyes: :cool:
    Get a Mac!! (Sorry I couldn't resist) ;)

11. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1