Okay, G5 or a 17" PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Les Kern, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

To round out my Mac "collection", I'm trying to decide whether I should get a G5 with 2GB ram and the big LCD, or a decked-out 17" PB. I'm already "laptop heavy", but the thought of using a 17 as my main workstation is intriguing. I'm not a heavy gamer; I like America's Army and Tiger Woods Golf... maybe Unreal 2004 once in a while, and they can be done nicely on my 1.42DP. My 15" AlBook is sweet, and I can only imagine what 17 inches would be like. I do a lot of heavy multimedia and image manipulation on the tower. Of course, I could ALWAYS get a PC laptop for the heck of it. Or maybe put a down-payment on that Prius I was looking at. Or how about giving the money to charity since I have too much crap already? Whatever you guys decide is fine with me. No kidding.

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

If you need portability, get the laptop
    If not, why not enjoy two G5 processors? :D It might last you longer in the long run, as the G4 is not the latest processor, and it is continually being pushed down with G5 updates. Now that I have an iBook, I love it an all but I wish I would have waited to get a dualie G5 with a cheap monitor (seeing as I don't have huge cash because I am only 15) lol But what am I thinking - you probably don't want advise from a 15 year old. lol :p

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

If your laptop heavy and you want a work horse then surely you need a G5. A G4PB at this point is not going to be great for games or heavy multimedia.
    Wait for the G5PB or get a DualG5PM...

4. g808 macrumors regular

I'd say get the G5 since you already have a 15" PB, which should satisfy your portability needs. If you just want a 17" PB as a workstation, then I would think working off a G5 would be much nicer. I have the 17" and I love it, but if I had a choice between it and a G5 as purely my workstation, then I'd have to go with the G5.

I wish I that kind of $$$ to throw around.

5. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Wrong-o. Actually I know some pretty sharp teens from my job. Some make me wonder how I ever survived my "stupid" years. Thanks for the advice.

6. machem macrumors member

G5 Dualie. You said it yourself, you are laptop-heavy (what an oxymoron!). Your 1.42 DP is longish in the tooth. FIFO, as they say. The Dual G5 will kick any current powerbook in number-crunching OR gaming, and it sounds like you have money falling out of your pockets, so a 23" display would be awesome, yes?

Actually get two. Get a 1.6 single and ship it to me. I need lots of power at work, but a baby G5 will do just fine at home, thankyouverymuch. Go Illini!.

7. Opteron macrumors 6502

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Les--

In looking at your collection, I'd have to agree with those who suggest a G5.

But since you specifically referenced the possibility, I'd also suggest considering a donation to this group: http://www.standupforkids.org/standupforkids/

They do a great job of looking out for homeless kids and trying to help them survive. They also help them with education, rehab, etc. I don't think I've ever seen anything more sad than a homeless 13 year old on the 16th St. Mall of Denver in the middle of winter...

Best,

Bob

9. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

G5 Dude!

Get a G5, Dude! 17" are novelty/speciality laptops for folk who need that kind of widescreen for certain types of work that needs to travel (like architecture--adjust the design on-site, then fly cross-country and show it in all its 3-d glory to the clients...that sort of thing). But I remember one user describing the 17" as carrying around a coffeetable. Not a ringing endorsement.

If the 15" does all you need in a laptop, why waste the money on a 17"? Buy the G5--the next step up in desktop computers and from what I hear, one glorious machine.

And so far, it would seem to be uninamous. So if you're really going to do as we say, then the next thing we need to see from you is a post written on your new, dual G5 :D

Oh, and hey, if you want to spread the Mac love--and give to charity--why not buy a bunch of e-macs for some poor school or other? That way you get to do both: buy macs and give to charity.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

G5 = more power
    & you can get a bigger screen which would be an even bigger improvement over the 15" pb.....enjoy watever you choose

11. mrdeep macrumors member

G5.

It is sooooo much faster, and since you already have an albook, another (albeit larger) would be excessive.

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Wow that's alot of computers. Do you really use them all? I would go for the G5 for all the reasons mentioned above, but I would ask yourself if it is really the best use of your money.

13. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

It's decided: A G5 it is! Thanks to all who offered their opinion.

14. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You ever think of selling some of those Macs? Like the redundant ones... 15" Tibook (since you already have an AlBook) or one of those two iBooks? With that money, you could buy yet another G5 :D

15. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Definitely the g5. The 17" Powerbook screen doesn't even look that big to me (was playing with it this afternoon).

16. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Wife, kids, you know....

17. admiraldennis macrumors regular

That's not true at all. Your advice is pretty solid, and basically I agree with it.

The 17" PB is pretty stupid, in my opinion.

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Go G5 and don't look back. It is a world apart from any G4.

19. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Interesting you mention that. I refurbish machines at my expense and donate them to kids in need. I saw mentioned above that I have "money falling out of my pockets" which is not really true. But no matter what your standing, helping those who need it is righteous indeed.

20. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Yeah, I don't need a babe magnet since I'm married... but come to think of it, would I want it to attract someone like... me??? Hell no. G5 it is.

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You will be very happy with it! FWIW, I think the dual 1.8 is the best deal going (of course, new G5's are coming next week...or next month...or in June...or maybe by August...or...).

22. SwitchHitter macrumors member

The G5 or 17PB

Les, I'm seeking to buy a 17" PB, but don't have quite all the money I need.. I will accept an Amazon gift certificate to help defray the cost - and will be forever indebted to you!!! I'm going to use it for photography purposes.

I currently have the 17" iMac 1Ghz G4, which I love - but I'm taking a digital photography class (full week in Chicago) in early June and need the darn PB for it.

Anyone have a PB G4 sitting around they want to loan me instead??

So, anyway.... I'm hoping there will be a bump on the PB 17" before mid-May. Thoughts on if that will happen??