okay, I am desperate. HIRE ME!

Discussion in 'Community' started by cyanide, Mar 14, 2005.

1. cyanide macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2005
    all right, i just posted in the SAT thread and it got me thinking. I am nineteen, and my one true ambition is to be able to go to college and get my degree in computer science with a joint major in german. I however cannot afford it due to the fact that i am ineligible for any type of financial aid because i live in my parents home, and my dad is irresponsible and paid not his taxes. I would like to move out, but cannot afford it as full time jobs are not abounding in my area. NOW, on to the good stuff. I am a hard worker, and I am looking for someone, ANYONE out there in the ENTIRE WORLD of MacRumors to hire me. I will travel anywhere in the world to work as long as it can be full time. I'll list some of my skills and experience...

Computer Hardware
    Computer Software
    Web Design
    Graphic Design
    Intermediate 3D still/motion
    I speak German, and a bit of Spanish
    Managerial skills
    Metal crafting
    Painting (murals/houses)
    Sales/Customer relation
    (more..if you want to know them, ask me! please!)

(I have filled the following positions (i've been supporting myself since age fifteen))
    -Restaraunt employee
    -delivery driver
    -auctioneer's assistant (my dad's business)
    -manual laborer (working in a lumber/contruction yard)
    -assistant restaraunt manager
    -web designer/webmaster (i have done sites for small businesses)
    -steel worker (currently working this job, but the pay is awful)

I am willing to fill any number of roles, I just want to go to college, and unless I move out and pay for it on my own, there is no way that this will be an option for me. I know this is a horrible way to approach this, but I have tried so many other things this just seemed like a great idea.. maybe. And if you suggest military, i know that is an "option" but it isn't something can consciously do because of certain responsibilities i have here. Well there it is, all out on the table. I can't wait to see the flames i get... :confused: if you've got any ideas.. please post or PM me.
  2. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
    I don't have any job to offer you, sorry... but with that spirit to work you sure deserve one! I really want to wish you best of luck! People that are ready to pull the sleeves up and do some work are hard to find! Good luck!
  3. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    You'll have better luck on Monster.com or Craig's List.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Hehe, bump!

I hope you get what you want. Trust me when I say that I know about dead-beat dads. I know that people online will usually say, "Suck it up. If you want it bad enough, you can make it happen." However, I really don't think most people understand how tough certain situations are until you're in that hole. Most people act tougher on the internet until they have to face the situation in the real world. I know how you feel, and I hope you get a job. This WAS a decent place to ask for help, but there may be other boards or websites to visit.

I can't really get a student loan, not even from a bank because I share half the genes of my father, whom I haven't seen in 9 years. I'm just lucky that my mum and stepfather are in a position where they can help me even if I never wanted their help to begin with. :eek: Not everyone has that. If it weren't for their situation, I wouldn't be able to do my PhD, and I wouldn't even be able to get a loan of any sort, so there would be no way for me to get the money unless I was doing what you're doing.
  5. pigbat macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2005
    Any call-centers in your area? We have a ton of inbound ones here that pay well and also offer tuition reimburement. It's not a glamourus job but for 7.50-8.00/hr in a reasonable ecomomy you can make ends meet while you go to school.
  6. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Try the food service business. Waiter, kitchen help, whatever.
    Or swallow your pride and go to work at one of the fast food chains.
    How bad do you want it?
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I'm looking for an editorial assistant, but I am not in Chicago. :(
  8. stonyc macrumors 65816

Feb 15, 2005
    He said that he would move. :)
  9. joetronic macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2004
    New Oxford, PA
    With spring on the horizon, landscape business's are starting to hire. I am going to be doing that on sundays to make some extra cash. the local paper had about 20 or so help wanted for landscaping. And with your manual labor experiance, you should have no problem getting hired. Aslo, depending on the co. the pay can be pretty good, the guy I'll be working with is payign me 12.50 an hour, and its more then just cutting grass, its the actual 'landscaping' aspect of it.

Good luck though. i know how hard the job market is right now.
  10. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    My advice, since you know web/graphic design:

Create your own website (read: business) offering such services (will only cost you $40).

Create flyers/business cards and post them all over town - even run an add in the local newspaper if it doesn't cost too much.

That should be enough to get you a few clients to get started. Use the money from that to save up for things, and once you start getting on your feet, start applying for jobs and interviewing. By now, you should have a decent portfolio of work to show.

But of course if you do not want to go the design route, my advice is absolutely worthless :)
  11. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Crap, didn't see that.

It's only like 12 bucks an hour, cyanide, but PM me if you are interested.

It's editorial busy work like research, filing, organizing, setting stuff up on the server, helping to deal with the field editors, etc.

Not sure when it might starts, but again, PM me if you are interested and I can describe the position more. :D
  12. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    hell it would cost less than that. 1and1 are having another promotion right now. Free 6 months plus an included domain. That gets him professional web space and a domain for nothing. After that 6 months their lowest plan is only $5/month which is hardly bad at all.

13. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    True, most cheap plans are $5 a month. But at that rate, one year = $60 just for hosting. Most domains are $10 yearly, that would be $70 all together, per year.

A Small Orange has yearly rate of $30 for hosting (which includes 75mb, mysql, 3gb transfer, etc, etc). This will be cheaper in the long run.

But, that's not the point of this thread :p
  14. cyanide thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2005
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses. Sorry it took so long, but i had to travel to ohio on family matters. To answer you guys/gals, i DO want it bad, and I am all about starting my own business or moving half way around the world to start my life. The point is that I want to succeed for myself, and not have to tell my kids to to do what I am trying to do now because I didn't pay my friggin taxes. (deadbeat dad alert!) You guys rock, and if anyone else has suggestions, i am open to them. oh and to answer, i can pick up a fast food job or anything like that, which i actually had for a while, but it wasn't cutting it. its really expensive to be my age, and alive in the US when you are on your own. pfff. depressing and motivational at the same time.
  15. altair macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Did you pm iGary bout the editorial assistant job in chicago?

just curious if this works out :D
  16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Too bad you're in the US, I could use someone with your talent here. (West Coast of Canada, great climate, high rents - not as high as SF but...) Alternatively, construction trades are going nuts trying to find workers here, steelworkers are getting CAN$17 per hour and up. If you're really motivated, check out the immigration rules first. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.html

Here's why I'd be interested: (and this is what you might focus on when selling yourself) - customer relations experience. Most young employees I see don't have a sweet clue how to handle customers. Especially young employees who are deep into tech. I can train someone to do a job. It's much harder to train them to be sociable, attuned to customer requirements, and responsive.

One piece of unsolicited advice; and this is admittedly a very small nit to pick, but your handle here makes me think a little bit - "Why choose the name of a poison?"

17. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003

Bullcrap. You would be AMAZED at how much financial aid you can quality for. You fill out one form: the FAFSA. It doesn't matter whether you still live at home or not, that makes no difference in the form's calculation of your ability to pay.

Are your parents divorced? Does your mom make less money than your dad or vice versa? Great: The FAFSA only requires you to report the income of one parent in the case of divorce. EITHER parent is acceptable. Does your dad or mom live in the poor house and barely make ends meet? Great (for purposes of financial aid).

Does the school you want to go to cost a lot? It doesn't matter: the FAFSA gives you aid based on two factors: how much it thinks your parents are able to pay and how much school costs where you want to go.

Parents have lots of credit card debt? There is a space in the form where you are able to factor in your parents' "net worth" which may be $0 if they have enough debt.

Parents refuse to pay anything for college? There is a judicial process by which you can exclude your parents' income from the form, and I guarantee you you will have so much grant money coming out of your ass you won't know what to do with it.

Seriously, I'm a senior in college and I've filled out the FAFSA 4 times. I know how this thing works. Even if you can't get any grant money, most applicants will quality for a subsidized student loan (interest free).

Most "state" universities are designed to be extremely affordable. Consider going to a state or public university over more expensive private colleges. Your educational experience will probably be just as good and might even be better.

Cost should never be a barrier to going to college. There are so many programs, grants, scholarships, loans, and handouts to students it isn't even funny.

Consider my situation: my total parental contribution for college is $100 a month, that's it. I work a lab job and a homework grading job that are both really easy and that nets me about $500 per month. I have taken out $2000 of student loan per year for each of 4 years, $8000 total (at 0%, mind you). I am also on 4 academic scholarships that pay a combined of about $10,000 per year. Each of those scholarships was REALLY easy to get. They were all sponsored by my university so I literally got 4 scholarships from filling out 1 10-minute form. If you are even the least bit academically talented, your university should be able to offer you a scholarship.

Don't give up college before you talk to your potential university's financial aid office. I guarantee you they will be able to offer you a financial aid package that will surprise you.

If you want any help, I'll be happy to help you or anyone else on this form "work" the FAFSA and give you hints for filling it out.