Okay I Need Honest Advice

Discussion in 'Games' started by CubaTBird, Oct 15, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

I told a relative of mine about the transfering of money to the bank deal and she just received a free dell desktop (2400). Thing is, she already has a desktop computer (compaq btw, eeeeeeew) ne way, she doesn't have a prob with it so looks like i get the new dell for myself :D . The thing is that the dell is a celeron 2.4ghz with 256 shared ram. Now hear me out on this, if I were to bump up the ram to 512 and install an pci geforce fx 5200 128 meg video card, would this comp be sufficient enough to run vice city, jedi knight 2, mafia, doom 3 (lowest settings of course), cs, enemy territory, and other games of the like? Or should I just forget it, i mean im gettin another free desktop here lol, btw the dell laptop that my dad won should be here ne day now according to ups tracking :D

2. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

the Celeron processor is quite a bit slower than a comparalbe P4 but if you upgrade the ram and the gfx card (is PCI the only available slot... no AGP? if AGP is available then something more substantial than the 5200 would be better, if not you may have some difficulty with some of those games) you should have no difficulty running all those games except DooM if there is an AGP slot available. Even then maybe but I dont have PC to try it out on.
    Pete

3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

You should be able to run all those games at 1024 by 768 TOPS except for Doom3 (no chance to play that game on a Celeron).

4. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No AGP slot? :eek:

Was this computer made in the 1800s or something? :p

6. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

a lot of cheap comps don't have agp slots, whats the big deal? Dell sells them, compaq sells them, hp sells them? Nobody except one poster has answered my question.

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

CS is absolutly no problem for a 5200
    jedi knight shouldn't be one neither
    for the other games..i'm not sure

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The problem is that PCI is so incredibly slow... You can't play Doom3 on a PCI graphics card, and anything else would run slowly at 800x600. I say forget about it and just use the machine for movies and music...