Okay Intel Imac 17 Or 20 Inch Please Help?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jc0481, Jan 28, 2006.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2005
    I can afford the high end 20 inch one but is the extra screen estate worth it? I use it for the usual web, word processing, some family pictures and sometimes gaming. I like the fact that it probably has more ventilation than the 17 iMac. Hope somebody could help. I will most likely get it at my local Compusa.
  2. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2004
    Go for the extra 3". Cause in 2 years you can't add them on. Get them while you have the chance!
  3. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2006

I'd definitely go for the 20" model. You'll appreciate the extra screen space, and it'll be much better for all your applications. I don't think you'll regret getting the 20" version over the 17" version. Also, I'd check out Amazon for ordering it. A lot of people have been talking about it here, and it seems like they've got some really good deals on the new intel macs.

Edit: Exactly, you can't put the extra 3" on later.
  4. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I've got the 20'' iMactel right now and I love having so much screen real estate. I haven't started it using it hardcore for work of any sort, but I'm sure I'll be thankful.
  5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    You'll appreciate the extra screen size, and it will make your machine last that much longer, even if it's just from a personal perspective, as you won't have a nagging feeling to upgrade again in a few years when 20" is standard and your 17" looks "small" in comparison. :cool:

It's not that much more money - just do it! :D
  6. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    If the cost really isn't a barrier, then I would definitely go for the 20".
    Once you have the screen real estate, not only will you find many uses for it, but you'll also wonder how you could have POSSIBLY lived with the 17"!

If I may ask, why are you planning on getting it at CompUSA?
    Is there no Apple store nearby, and/or do you get a discount at CompUSA?
    Don't forget to look into whether or not you qualify for the Apple education discount.

Enjoy your new machine - they're AWESOME!
  7. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    Alright guys... I'll sit here on my obviously inferior 17" model. :rolleyes: :( :D
  8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    Hey, I got a 17-inch too. I love it, but I don't use its display. I use my 20-inch ACD. :)

To the original poster, if you aren't going to use another display with it like myself, I would also suggest the 20-inch model. However, you'll still enjoy the machine, if its easier for you to get the 17. Also, Amazon does have some excellent deals, with the rebate and free shipping.
  9. DanielNTX macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    I went withe the 17" because the extra money can be spent on another monitor because the intel Imac's have screen spanning enabled. And for 20" I would expect it to have 1920x1200 resolution like my Dell Inspiron 8600 instead of 1680 x 1050 or whatever.
  10. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    I've got the 20'' and think its great. You wont be sorry if you can afford to do it.
  11. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Get 20 inch. You wont regret it.

I have the 17 inch, but if cost wasnt the problem, I would get 20. I use mine for more advanced stuff than what u've mentioned (like Aperture, Motion, Final Cut Pro) and I wish I had 20 inch model :D