Okay, it's down to 12" vs. 14" ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by veronicaleo, Oct 26, 2004.

1. veronicaleo macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2004
    Hi everyone - I posted a few days ago about whether to get an ibook or a pb and people overwhelmingly voted for the ibook. Good to know but now I can't decide between the 12" or the 14". I'll be using my computer at a desk at home and be taking it with me to libraries, coffee shops, etc. I'll be adding bluetooth no matter which one I get, would upgrade the 12" to 60 GB and up the memory in both. Will I be able to tell a difference between 1.2 GHz and 1.33? It's not like I'm going blind or anything but I do like the extra screen space on the 14". Of course, you can't beat the portability of the 12". I need to undergo treatment for indecisiveness...
  2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Since they have the same resolution, I would go for the 12".

Lee Tom
  3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Well I think my next purchase is going to be the 14" iBook. My majore factors are the 1.33 ghz chip, the 80gb drive and the super drive.

So it really depends, how much drive space do you need for storage and do you think you'll be burning DVD's??
  4. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2004
    Yeah definatly get the 12". It is overall better, you really don't have any advantages on the 14" since the screens have the same resolution, so you can't actually fit more things on the screen, things are just bigger (and possibly a tad less sharp). Not to mention the 12" is substancially smaller and lighter, looks much more in porportion, and is a good deal cheaper. I would pick the 12" even if they were the same price. I'd even rather have the 12" if it cost more. I use a 12" PB and I don't feel like I need more screen space. If for some reason you feel confined, you can easily afford an external CRT monitor for the money you save over getting the 14". (but you would feel equally confined on either since they both allow the same screen space)
  5. veronicaleo thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2004
    I don't anticipate needing much room for storage. I'll be using office programs and itunes and nothing fun like gaming or video editing. I hadn't planned on burning DVDs either but of course as soon as I saw it was a possibility on the 14" I started wondering if I might start. I'm ridiculous.
  6. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2004
    to dornoforpyros,

If you want the superdrive, 1.33 processor, and 80gb harddrive, why not just get a 12" powerbook? It probably comes out to about the same price, plus the powerbook has many upgrades and the 80gb harddrive is 5400rpm. To top it all off, you get the (better) 12" screen. I havn't actually priced it though, so if there is a sizable difference then forget this post. If its less than like $150 difference, I'd get the PB.

EDIT: I just priced it, it's a pretty big difference, nevermind.
  7. veronicaleo thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2004
    Your reply made me laugh. Obviously you're a huge fan of the 12". I don't need to fit anything extra on my screen - I just kind of liked the fact that things were easier to read.
  8. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    the 14" is only for people that NEED a superdrive.

you will be more than happy with the 12"
  9. tamara6 macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2004
    My husband has a 12" ibook. I have a Pismo powerbook, with a screen size the same as the 14" ibook (actually, now I also have a 15" pb, but that's not important now).

There have been days when my hubby, after staring for hours at his 12" screen, would look at my screen (the pismo screen) and say something like "that big screen sure is nice, you can really see things." Now, you can "see" the same amount on the pismo screen as on the ibook screen. But it seems that, for him, all day on that little screen can get hard on the eyes.

I'd say you need to think about if this is going to be an "all-day, do lots of work on it" type computer or an "off and on through the day to check the e-mail and the web" type computer, and then base your purchase on that.

The reason my hubby got the 12" was because it was small and he needed something easy to carry. I got this 15", and I carry it to work everyday. I don't know how much easier it is to carry a 12", but I find my 15" to be very portable. So I'm sure a 14" would be just as portable.
  10. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i have a 12 inch ibook, rev a, and i find some characters a little small and i wish i had a larger screen, even if the characters were a little less sharp

i like slightly larger lettering

the 14" inch isn't way more expensive either

but if i had to lug it around a lot, like every day or even three times a week, i would definitely chose the 12" inch

the difference between 4.9 and 5.9 pounds does become apparent when you walk around with a laptop...my ibook, rev a, isn't light but i have a pc laptop which is exactly a pound heavier and it feels far heavier after just a few hours going to class or to the bookstore to do my homework

with laptops, one pound makes a cumulative difference in the overall experience of lugging it around
  11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I replaced my 14" Pismo with a 12" iBook G4 a year ago. And I love my iBook for its size which makes it really portable. Not that the Pismo wasn't a fantastic machine, but I don't miss it for even a second. The screen is more than big enough, you may just need to move a couple of inches closer to it compared to a 14".

So, as been said more than once earlier: If you don't need the superdrive, get the 12"...
  12. acceber macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a 12" iBook (bought it just before the updates, grrrr!) and I prefer it over the 14" because of the portability mostly. The screen is a little smaller than my 15" PowerBook but it's lighter and easier to place on your lap, so if you're going to be lugging it around and don't mind a smaller screen size, I would definitely recommend you go for the 12".

The 14" doesn't offer that much more than the 12" but yeah, if you're going to up the memory, hard drive, bluetooth whatever, I would also consider getting a 12" PowerBook instead.
  13. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    me, i'd get the 12". why? because the 14" is like a big proper laptop with all the weight and girth of say a normal centrino laptop. The 12" is a proper laptop like you might get in the pc world but its waaaay more portable. I seriously think there is no contest. If you want or need the super drive then maybe you could look at a powerbook, but then again that costs more right?
    12" is the way to go in my opinion, its the only form factor that works with the white finish when it comes to laptops. I've never seen a 14" iBook (any gen) that made me go wow.
  14. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    People always pays more for smaller things with the same specs..
    Except for the ibooks...
    Well there is a option for a superdrive, but if you don't need it, get the 12"

12"/256mb ram/60gb hd/combo : $1074
    14"/256mb ram/60gb hd/combo : $1299
    (iPodmini + 12"/256mb ram/60gb hd/combo : $1323)

Use the $225 (!) on 1 GB of ram....
    (or on a 512mb stick and invite your friends over for some 16 years old whisky)

The 14-incher is way to expensive...
  15. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I highly recommend the 12". I own a 14" iBook, and it's the sweetest computer I've ever used, but if I had the chance, I'd go for the 12". The size is the only difference really... This computer is a bit of a hassle to carry around, while I can imagine the 12" is much more manageable. Should you need extra space, a superdrive, or whatever, go with the 14" for those reasons, not for screen space.
  16. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    Get the 12" iBook. Smaller, cheaper, same screen resolution. I love mine, you'll love yours. If you need SuperDrive, go with a 12" PowerBook.

17. Cybbe macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2004
    I have a 12" ibook-order on the way. Needless to say, I recommend the 12", the extra portability does it for me.
  18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    having owned G3 versions of both sizes in the past, I prefer the 12".
  19. verces macrumors member

Oct 13, 2004
    A Suggestion.

I think the only solution to this problem is simply going to near by Apple Store or Center to check the two different models out yourself.

The problem being, as I have noticed reading these guys posts, the ones who never had a chance to use the 14 inch, but first bought the 12, are saying that they would've went for the 14, because of larger screen size, and the ones who bought the 14, say they want the 12. This is obvious. Apart from those who really chose the ones they wanted, everyone kind of wants to try the other one just for the sake of it.

and QCassidy here saying that he prefers the 12, is because he owns the 14 as well, so if he wanted to use the bigger screen, he COULD. However, most of us did not have the option to do that, if we chose the 14, we were stuck with the 14, chose the 12, then the 12 we were stuck to.

But, as I get carried away here immensely, what am I trying to tell you is that, it is impertinent that you see the Books yourself. Try to see which one you prefer looking at, and if possible, try to use them for the maximum time possible.

If you get a small house, you're gonna want a big one, for spaciousness and airiness. If you buy a big house, you're gonna want cosiness and seclusion. Same story here. You might get frustrated with the 12 inch screen, and want the 14, or you might start to want the smaller cuter 12 inch version if you had to walk around with a 14. (The 14 inch is not big at all. BTW)

Check them out in real life. Both at the same time. Best way to compare.
  20. veronicaleo thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2004
    Sadly, I have seen them

I wish I could say that I'm relying on everyone else's opinion because I hadn't seen the two different sizes but that would be a lie. I've been to my apple store and spent a little time with both of them and still couldn't decide. But I need to just get this over with so I'm going to get the 12" and when I get a place next year I'll get a larger monitor to keep at home.
  21. iRez macrumors member

Feb 19, 2004
    Simple answer, if you need/want a Superdrive get the 14", if not, don't bother with the 14" and just get a suped up 12" and save some cash on your extra RAM, fin.
  22. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    yup! If it was just a $150 issue I would definalty go with the BP over the iBook but with the current prices I gotta say the iBook is much more appealing.