Okay just got a new MAC with OS X.x

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 33788, Oct 7, 2004.

1. 33788 macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm a newbie at MAC. I've used MS based computers all my life but finally I'm crossing the line to MAC world. To start out with does anybody know of any remote control software like Symantec pcAnywhere or RemotelyAnywhere that I can install on my Windows XP machine and remotely control my MAC desktop. I can probably learn it faster since at my work place I use Windows but at home is my MAC. I'd prefer a web based program but what ever is fine. If you know any let me know ASAP. I want to install the software on my Windows PC and remote control my MAC home or anywhere I'm at. I know from a MAC you can remote control a Windows computer but I have not heard of any software to control a MAC computer. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

First of all, it's called a Mac.

MAC is short for media access control.

As far a remotely controlling your Mac from you PC, I'm not to sure about that. You could try Apple's Remote Desktop for controlling a Mac from a Mac. I think there is something that allows you to control you PC from your Mac (or maybe the other way around) made by Microsoft, but the name of that software escapes me...

3. 33788 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback..

Okay Mac. Whats some good website to go and learn more about how to administor and support Mac computers and networks. I'm very familiar with administoring and supporting PC computers just not Mac. Thanks ahead.

4. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

MAC is also a makeup company

but also i have heard of something that does PC to mac.....like you i dont remember the name...ill google it right now actually.

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

6. 33788 thread starter macrumors newbie

VNC, is it compatible with PC and Mac?

For example pcAnywhre you have to run a host then use a remote to control the host. Will it work with PC and Mac? I tried to go and read about it but they talked about Windows, Linux, Solaris, and HP-Unix only. Thanks ahead.

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

VNC is cross platform. You just need a VNC client and server, I don't think they even have to be made by the same people, to do that. To control your Mac remotely I would recomend Share my Desktop . Nice and easy to use, don't know about the Windows side.

Hope that helps.

8. WCat macrumors member

WCat

Timbuktu

This will work for Windows-Mac cross platform stuff like you want to do. Only drawback is that it is $199! :eek:

I know you can do this for free using SSL and an XWindows-like client on your PC (the Mac version is called X11). You won't need X11 unless you want to go the other way--controlling your PC from your Mac. It works great for running Unix apps from remote servers--we use it to run Cadence CAD on our Mac's from our Unix server.

Not a complete answer here for you, but a start. Someone smarter than me will come along with a better answer!

Cheers,

WCat

9. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Here is a VNC server for Mac.