Okay to buy this pismo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmarketing, Dec 15, 2006.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just wanted to get some opinions on a particular pismo that I may be able to buy.

It has a g4 -500mhz processor
    1gb memory
    12 gb hard drive
    Screen in good shape
    2 batteries
    2 chargers
    Airport Card
    DVD
    etc.
    $350.

I ended up selling my 12" powerbook and powermac g4, so all I have left is our macbook pro (and a pentium 4 pc that I may be selling also).

What do you think?
    Thanks!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Depends on the condition. I think the price is so high because people like the Pismo. It's mostly for bragging rights. I don't think I'd pay that much for this technology if it wasn't a Pismo. :eek:

I say go for it. However, it depends on how much you'd enjoy using this baby.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Skip the Pismo. Save up some money and look for a good deal on a MacBook refurb. They've been going for $899, and I think that will go down after Christmas. They've got a ton of them. I even saw an iBook G4 going for more than the MacBook on the refurb site. Wait til January and I bet you the refurbs go down to $799.

4. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Condition is great, and it does have the g4 upgrade.

I don't know if it is the nostalgia, or how well it looks and feels, but i definitely like how easy it is to mainatain and upgrade it. I was just thinking of getting a good machine to take on the road for photos, music, movies, and working on my website. I'd know I'd rather take my macbook pro with me if I don't have to.

If I was to buy the pismo, do you think its value will drop as much as the macbooks and macbook pros have?

Thanks!

5. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Value should hold up very well, assuming no big problems. The parts (ram, screen, airport, etc) are worth $350 now. That will not drop too much in next year or two. And parts are available (like old Volvos). Refurb macbooks are better deals, but value should drop more as new ones come out. If pismo is powerful enough for needs, may be better choice. Remember though, that no warranty w/ pismo while refurb has one year (and buying with some credit cards automatically doubles warranty).

6. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

actually the white 1.8ghz macbooks have dropped to $799 here in the last 2 days. ive already got a maxed out pismo, but am thinking about buying one of the base model macbooks myself

7. Kendall015 macrumors regular

Just keep in mind that the apple logo is upside-down when the pismo is open...I don't know if its a deal breaker, though :)

Seriously, having a more durable older computer to take on the road is a good idea...then if something happens, its not huge deal. Though $350 seems like a lot for a computer that old, if you plan on using it I say go for it.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Thats par for the course for Apple products.

9. Kendall015 macrumors regular

Yeah...I guess you're right. I mean, how much are the "toilet-seat" iBooks going for on eBay these days :)

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Quite a bit for ones from the same year as the Pismo.

11. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

both are true apple classics and seem to still fetch outragous prices

12. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

i guess i should get it. It can definitely be a durable road machine and I do love the keyboard. It's funny how many times I've returned to the pismo. While I love my macbook pro, and I loved the 12" powerbook, I was always worried about denting and things, and the value of them keep dropping.

I think in terms of parts, if I was to sell off the memory, extra battery, and charger and airport card one day, I could make back some money. And the same goes for the g4 processor upgrade.

I guess its welcome back pismo!

13. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

With the G4 upgrade, airport card, and maxed ram I would probably buy it. Those 3 parts would probably sell for more then the computer if you combined them. Plus the Pismo is a nice solid machine, and with the G4 upgrade, you will probably be able to use it with leopard too! So I'd say to go for it :)

14. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Picked up the pismo. Got a little discount, so the total came to $320 (not much, but at least its something!) I really love the feel of this thing. Its no wonder I always manage to get myself back to one. The g4 processor really feels speedy on it. Not sure if the processor matters on this, but one reason why I would eventually always sell my pismos (I've had 4 during various times) was that internet pages seemed to take a while to load. For some reason, they're fast now. Is that because of the g4 processor?

Plus my airport range is amazing again!

Otherwise, I'm really in heaven typing on this thing. I love the macbook pro, but honestly it stays in one place most of the time, and my wife likes using it for her stuff. So for me and my basic needs which will probably be the internet, I think the pismo will definitely suffice. And I won't be afraid to carry it around.

Got 2 batteries and 2 chargers, so this thing will be going everywhere!!

Thanks!