Oklahoma has class fans and coaches

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I don't know how many here are football fans, but I have to say that I am very, very impressed with one school right now. Oklahoma. I attended the University of Alabama, and I am an alumni of the school. This past Saturday, the Sooners came into Tuscaloosa for a night game with Alabama. Well, the atmosphere was unreal. Several media types that I am friends with said it was the loudest they have ever heard any college football team.

Oklahoma won the game 20-13. After the game, and before the game, the Oklahoma fans were the most gracious I have ever seen in College football. They were happy they won, but the first thing that EVERY one of them did was say how great we were, and to give Alabama props for being "under ranked", "a top 10 team", "a class program", etc. They continually showed class when a lot of fans in the past have not.

I look forward to renewing the games with Oklahoma in 2008.

19 national titles were represented at that game. That is amazing.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Apparently Ohio State (ranked #2) gave our team (SDSU Aztecs) a standing ovation after the game last week for our effort to nearly beat them.

Good for OU and OSU, good for college football, good for sports in general. :)

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i seem to enjoy sports more when there is taunting and put downs and someone goes home celebrating like they one a war, while the other cries to their mamas :D

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

That's only because you're just Alabama...

I'm in the band at The University of Texas at Austin (it's my first year), and I've heard some pretty bad stuff about them sooners (even though I have a cousin who goes there, and my dad went there for a year...)

UT and OU play each other at the Red River Shootout. To see how much people want to go to this game, search for tickets on e-bay...

Anyways, the UT band has a tradition to march into the stadium in a big line, and nobody, and I mean nobody gets through the band... Well, one year, an OU fan decided he wanted to run through the band, and lets just say, he didn't make it... His ass was on the floor like nothing, because the band people smacked him down... The sooners boo us when we march into the stadium, and they get even worse when we yell "beat the hell outta OU" on the middle of the field during halftime...

I also think OU was gracious because they realized they could've lost that game...

Anyways, it's 5:58 PM, and OU STILL SUCKS!

It's just a friendly rivalry, though... anyways, off to band...

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I wish that our school (Oregon State) did what (I think) Nebraska does: politely applaud the other team when it takes the field.

I love football, but I'm tired of hearing people shout and curse at referees and other players.

The student section is the worst. Every call against us by the officials is shouted at, regardless of whether it was the right call.

Oh, and I went to the OSU-UO game last year in the choir, and I thought it was pretty poor when they booed the UO band.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My school's football team sux. I guess they just had a spectacular victory against someone, but by and large they lose alot. I guess it's not good when the big guys on your line are getting engineering degrees and can solve differential equations.:p

7. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Just Alabama :confused:

12 National Titles, more bowl victories, more bowl appearances, more SEC titles. Man, that is tradition. ;)

Na, I understand what you mean. Us and Auburn get pretty heated.

Keith Jackson once said about the Alabama Auburn game,

"To put this in perspective for those viewing not from the South. There was God and the Devil, The US and the USSR, and then Alabama / Auburn."

8. job macrumors 68040

job

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with that. :)

Remember guys, this is coming from a fan base which pulled down goal posts and burned cars after OSU beat Michigan. (Or was it after the Fiesta Bowl? I can't remember.)

BTW...nice team there Rower. I'm an OSU fan, and boy, did you have me scared there for a while. ;) :p :D

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I <3 Keith Jackson.

10. jadariv macrumors regular

I will confirm that Nebraska fans are some of the best around. Makes me proud to be an alumni and a fan.

11. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

maybe i just feel that there should be less "sportsman-like" conduct at sporting events because i go to the university of minnesota and we enjoy a healthy riot following our ncaa hockey championship wins!

12. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Ok, my first post here was kind of a rushed post, since I had band practice, but now, I shall elaborate on what I know of the people known as "sooners".

Also, being from The University of Texas, my views on the subject are a bit biased...

As I stated before, the UT-OU game, known as the Red River Shootout, is held in Dallas, TX. Not in Austin, and not in wherever OU is...

The stadium is half red, half burnt-orange. Nobody wears a white shirt to this game. That's how die-hard these fans are.

When the UT band comes onto the field for pre-game, we get plenty of boos and hisses. The tunnel we march in through goes right under the OU side, and people have had things thrown onto them, like beer, food, trash, you name it... There is even someone who said a 70 year old woman started to cuss out the band. They said it was funny, but kind of creepy. People try to go through the band, even though they know they're not supposed to, but they are all stopped, of course...

After the game, there is a lot of tension in the air. The teams shake hands, and if it was a really good game, and nobody felt like they were cheated (or at least if a few people feel like that...), there is usually some applause, but usually the side that wins is going nuts, with the other side booing. The band is quick to get out of there. We don't want a riot to block our busses.

I don't know how much of a rivalry there is between OU and Alabama, but the OU-UT rivalry is pretty heated...

With that said, I'm looking forwards to a good Texas Football season. We beat New Mexico State, 66-7, in our first game, and this weekend, we play Arkansas...

Hook 'em Horns!

(oh, and please don't get our mascot, the Longhorns, confused with microsoft's new OS. We are much better, and always will be. Our mascot is an animal, microsoft's OS is named after a mountain...)

Edit: These boards also need a "burnt orange" color option..blah blah blah (just a test :D )

13. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

NAh... you guys... Miami fans are the best. I mean the Orange Bowl in the middle of the ghetto. And our fans, we are the best. Not only would you not want to sit next to us if you're the other team. But if you lose, you better run out... because we'll make fun of you all the way to your car.

Besides, the suns hot, the girls are off the charts, palm trees sway in the breeze and the beaches are oh so nice... there is no better place on earth.

Ah... I love college football. :D :cool:

14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

please please please

in the nicest way possible to correct you...you are an alumnus

its just a huge peeve of mine.

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: please please please

Or an alumna. :p

16. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

How is New Mexico State's pass defense? I hope it's as porous as Swiss cheese because we play them this Saturday and our QB was 15-44-5-1 last week against Fresno State... If NMSU has a bad pass defense, maybe his stats will be more like 45% complete and two INT... everybody on our team is good except for the bloody quarterback. They should have replaced him with the second-string QB last season.

17. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

We play East Carolina on Saturday. We're itching for Revenge from our 1999 loss 21-6. Too bad it's away though :cool:

18. jadariv macrumors regular

Re: please please please

I have a pet peeve about people that have nothing to add to a conversation but to correct a word in somebody's post that was written quickly during a lunch break.

I mean, seriously, this is about football not grammar.

geez.

19. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

jadariv-

I would counter that it is very important for us to use proper word choice in all of our dealings. If we can't be articulate, our language loses its meaning.

20. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

We (Union College) are only a DIII football school but we get pretty rowdy when we play RPI....and you should see us and them in hockey season, where we both have our sole DI teams.

21. jadariv macrumors regular

This is exactly the kind of post I was talking about. If you have an opinion like this, just pm me, because it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Thanks.

Back on topic. When I was a kid, Oklahoma fans were the absolute worst. I think because their program fell apart in the 90's they humbled a bit. Miami, though, man their fans are horrible. I got to see them first hand at the Rose Bowl in 2002 when they beat Nebraska.

22. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

I work at and attend OU, and I don't think too highly of the football program getting all our money while the actual *education* buildings on campus crumble.

We don't exactly contribute to the enlightenment of Oklahomans (who need it) by teaching them that these are proper priorities.

23. jadariv macrumors regular

I used to think this also while attending UNL in Nebraska.

With a little research you will be surprised how much a good football team brings to a school (in funding, name recognition and school spirit). And, though the sports programs do retain alot of the money, there is a substantial amount that goes to the college. So, without the team, the campus would probably be in even worse condition.

24. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Money generated by the athletic programs goes right back into the athletic programs. This is true at every school. However, athletics does provide "free advertising" in that a school will me mentioned in the news more with a decent athletic program. It probably increases student morale and retention rate and may even influence Alumni to give money to their school. But bowl game money does not directly help the school in any way.

25. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

They didn't give SDSU an ovation 'cuz their good, it's 'cuz OSU sucks and they had to save face somehow so they pretended that the competition was good.

OSU SUCKS!!!!!

(It's college football season, there's no room for nice)