Old 1st Person Shooters

Discussion in 'Games' started by billchase2, Apr 30, 2006.

1. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

anyone know if you can get games such as wolfenstein 3d, doom, and duke nukem 3d on os x? those are great classic games and i'd love to get them running again on my powerbook.

thanks!

2. RacerX macrumors 65832

I have Ultimate DOOM, DOOM II, Final DOOM: The Plutonia Experiment, Final DOOM: TNT-Evilution and Duke Nukem for Mac OS X on my system (along with Quake, Quake II, Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament).

I think you can find the Mac OS X versions of the software on Version Tracker.

I haven't seen Wolfenstein or Unreal, both of which I would love to have in Mac OS X. There has been a port of the Marathon series though (but I haven't tried them personally on any of my systems).

3. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

sweet, i found the shareware version of duke nukem

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly the same here. Though only UT99 giving me any slice of Unreal action. I had the PC floppies and CD's for years. Came to mac and pleased the chuffed out of my head with these ports.

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You can play the original Doom series, along with Hexen using Doomday engine which has been ported to OS X, and it also has support for hirez textures and 3d models.

As for the Duke nukem, Ryan Gordon had it ported to OS X a while ago.

Unfortunately, Wolfenstein 3D has not been ported to OS X, neither officially nor unofficially.

6. LeoO3 macrumors newbie

"Vanilla" Doom behavior wanted

I'd like to play Doom the way I did in OS9; without all the fancy newfangled stuff like true 3D, polygonal non-sprite opponents and objects, lens flares, etc. I want it to act just as it did in OS9, only be a native OSX app. Isn't there just a simple basic OSX port of Doom, maybe the most ported app ever, that does this??

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Rise of the Triad would be awesome. I think it used the Duke3D engine, but I could be off on that one.

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Yes. Do a search for Doom Legacy. Also, the Doomsday Engine could do the trick for you, if you change the settings that add new elements to the graphics.