Old Airport Extreme, worth buying? (Over Linksys, D-Link, etc.)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by extraextra, Jan 18, 2007.

1. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

My local Apple store has the older Airport Extreme (b/g) for $129 which I figure is a pretty good deal so I think I'm going to buy it. Questions:

1] Can I connect an iMac through an ethernet cable to the Airport Extreme (to have a wired connection), and then have my Macbook connect wirelessly to it?

2] Is it simple to set up?

3] Does it get good range? I'd need a strong signal around 100-150ft away, can this deliver?

Or am I better off getting a Linksys WRT54G or some other router? I'm not very smart tech-wise so I'd like a router that will give me the least amount of trouble. Any personal experiences with the product would be appreciated.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

1. Yes you can
    2. very simple
    3. Ok range for me as I'm running two of them

the one reason I like it because of the usb connection to hook up a printer to it

3. extraextra thread starter macrumors 68000

extraextra

How would you define "ok range?" From the living room to the bedroom; 50ft, 25ft?

I need this to go through a few walls and a room, that's why I'm asking. :eek:

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Right now I have it in my basement to get range for my whole house. All if my machines work fine. I really don't download lost of stuff but I can't complain

5. extraextra thread starter macrumors 68000

extraextra

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I would just buy the equivalent non apple here and spend the $50 or whatever they cost. For me the products have worked just fine and provided all the features I need. I don't see a reason to pay a premium in this case.

7. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I use one of these that I bought off eBay over a year ago. It has been flawless! And the printer sharing is excellent. On the other hand, the LinkSys that I bought for my girlfriend needed daily reboots when she had DSL and now that she has cable, I think it's down to weekly reboots.

Also, if you want to save another $30, you can buy a refurb of this router on Apple's website. It is still hard to justify the cost of the Apple router looking strictly at the technical specifications, but the ease of setup and rock solid performance would sway me. :)

8. extraextra thread starter macrumors 68000

extraextra

I'm afraid of FedEx and their incompetence so I'd rather not have anything shipped!

9. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Wow - sorry to hear that. I think we've all been burned by all of the major shippers at one time or another. Well, enjoy your Airport Extreme how ever you get it home! :)

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

That is a good deal. I don't know if these features are worth an extra $50 to you, but new Airport Express ($179) coming out would give you 802.11a/n and USB disk sharing (in addition to the 802.11b/g and printer sharing).

That's been my experience too. No more mysterious lockups.