Old Apple gets new Friend

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stoid, May 7, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I am setting up an old Performa 6320CD computer for my aunt who has never used a computer before in her life. She will probably only be using it for internet, word processing, and hopefully to text chat at least with my brother in Taiwan. I want to set the computer up for her without spending any funds but am wondering what the best method would be. I have the 7.5.3 restore disc that came with the machine, as well as the few other discs that it came with. What software should I install for her and where can I get it?

Thanks tremendously for the all the help.

The computer's specs are:
    120Mhz 603 PowerPC
    64MB of RAM
    1.2GB internal HD
    Complete specs can be found here.

PS I remember seeing on the Apple website awhile back where you could download some old Apple legacy software for free and I think that a thread on the boards here even talked about it once. However, both searches were futile :( I don't remember exactly what software they had or if any of it would be useful.

2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I'd upgrade to OS 8, 9 if the computer will support it.

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

The computer supports up to 9.1 but I think that OS 8.1 or 8.6 should do it...

4. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

if you're going to only go up to 8.x, i would go with 8.6. most carbon software will run on 8.6 if it has carbonlib installed... that would be your best bet.

5. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    i have a similar sitch. there's an older woman that i know that has purchased a used computer from a friend that I'm supposed to help her with ("cleaning it off"). I'm assuming that it will be windows 98, and as much as id like to, i dont think it's possible for me to get her a mac (used or otherwise, unless someone can point me in the right direction >$100). So i guess what I'm saying is, (LOL this is funny) is there ANY way at all to make her win98 experience any better? any way to make 98 more *stable* :rolleyes: ?

6. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I say go with 8.6. it won't be much slower than 8.1 or 8.5 and its more stable. I think for her needs the setup should lean more toward stability. plus with 8.6 she would be able to run virtually any classic os app.

a friend used to have a 6200. good systems for their time and still fine for mild tasks.

7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

a site called mac of all trades has beige G3's very cheap. as low as 75 bucks.

http://macofalltrades.com

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Apple hasn't released more recent versions of Mac OS as free downloads, which I find odd. After all, they can't be making money selling Mac OS 8 anymore, can they!? In any case, if you need a new copy, System 7.5.3 can be downloaded free from here:

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl...stem_7.5.2_and_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_Revision_2/

For newer versions, some Mac stores sell 'em or you can look on eBay. Quite often, a computer, including Mac OS, is as cheap as what somebody else wants for the OS alone!

9. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Ok, so the OS has pretty much been nailed down to 8.6.

Now, what word processing and internet browsing apps are going to be the best for ease of use, speed, compatibility?

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I recommend AppleWorks for your aunt. It runs on Mac OS 7, 8, 9, X (probably System 6 too). Straightforward application for word processing, spreadsheet, drawing, painting, database, good enough for typical uses. A bargain for what you get.

Disadvantages: not free. Not up to date with features of today's word processors and especially old-fashioned if you move to Mac OS X.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I've seen B&Ws near $150 on ebay (tower only and usually OS9) but they can be a good deal.